Retook the MCAT for 3rd time and got a 31 (12/8/11). Help me out guys!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqua8708

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently graduated (UCLA Biological Science) and just got my MCAT scores in recently. I took the MCAT twice before with no luck and fortunately I was able to pull out a 31 this time around.

Questions
1) I finally broke 30 on my MCAT but i have 2 bad scores from before (I had a terrible time with this test and have probably spent a good deal of money retaking and taking pre courses). I am worried about the previous scores (one of them was 2 years ago) along with my 8 in verbal this time around. I won't be taking it again so I'm curious about how ADCOMs will see it. What do you guys think are my chances regarding MD schools?
2) I plan to apply the 2015 cycle and until then I don't know what to do. I want to be able to show that I've done something meaningful during my 2 year gap and have considered scribing (but the pay and the treatment for some scribe services seem terrible). What are other options?

MCAT SCORES (P/V/B)
September 2012: [10/7/10]
January 2014: [8/8/10]
September 2014: [12/8/11]

GPA
cGPA- 3.79
sGPA- 3.77

Clinical exposure/Shadowing:
Shadowed Pediatric Urologist 200+ Hours (3 years)

Non-clinical volunteering:
Community outreach in elementary school teaching about healthy living 180+ hours (3 years)
Community outreach in Asian community during health fairs/screenings 75+ hours (2 years)

Research:
Epigenetics research on drosophila for 5 semesters. No publications.
Preliminary study on Catheterization with the pediatric urologist I worked with. Presented at the American Urologist Association in May 2013.

Leadership:
Lead Consultant at my workplace (a computer lab at the library)

Employment
2 years as Lead Consultant at the library: responsible for training new employees and monitoring the computer lab

Members don't see this ad.

I guess my concern would be that it took you 2 years to raise your score 4 points. Not sure how schools will view it though.

If ADCOMs are going to be concerned about anything, it's the fact that you have no clinical volunteering experience (shadowing doesn't count). That's a huge hole in your application

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If ADCOMs are going to be concerned about anything, it's the fact that you have no clinical volunteering experience (shadowing doesn't count). That's a huge hole in your application

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely look into volunteering where I deal with patients regularly!

I guess my concern would be that it took you 2 years to raise your score 4 points. Not sure how schools will view it though.

Yea, I am worried about that as well. I wasn't ready to take the test then and somewhat rushed it. Do you know if schools will be able to see that score even though its been more than 2 years ago? I thought I heard your scores only last 2 years.

Do you know if schools will be able to see that score even though its been more than 2 years ago? I thought I heard your scores only last 2 years.
We see everything since 1997.
Like tattoos, the scores may not be useful but they are still quite visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow Bruin ;)

I heard UCLA just started its own medical scribe program but since it's new they are currently working on optimizing the program and establishing it with a solid foundation.
Maybe try the Venice Family Clinic if you're still in the area? People seem to get good clinical experience from there.

swallow your pride and start working as a scribe.

Hey fellow Bruin ;)

I heard UCLA just started its own medical scribe program but since it's new they are currently working on optimizing the program and establishing it with a solid foundation.
Maybe try the Venice Family Clinic if you're still in the area? People seem to get good clinical experience from there.

Thanks! I will definitely check out the Venice Family Clinic. I've applied to a few UCLA scribe positions but don't think they even considered me. lol. Guess I gotta keep trying! I am in the LA area so it would definitely be nice to scribe somewhere nearby. Don't wanna stray too far from westwood!

You might also want to look into scribe positions at Northridge/West Hills hospitals. I think they're both run through this company: http://www.medicalscribesystems.com/

I recently finished at UCLA too, if you want to talk about clinical volunteering PM me. I feel I'm lacking in that area but I'm waiting until after my MCAT to dive in

If you can find some other clinical experience besides scribing, I would recommend it. I'm working as a medical scribe at a clinic right now and I love working with the physicians but I am incredibly frustrated with the company. Not sure how it works elsewhere but it seems like a lot of companies take advantage of you and are not very accommodating. Hopefully it's different elsewhere.

Hopefully it's different elsewhere.

It isn't. Scribe companies know premed students would take the job for basically free. Glut of potential scribes, there'll always be plenty of premeds willing to work for minimum wage and be treated like #*%$ for any clinical experience. It's too bad, but with such a high turnover anyway, they don't care.

have considered scribing (but the pay and the treatment for some scribe services seem terrible)

Equally true for the vast majority of entry-level healthcare jobs. At least you aren't changing bedpans.

Taking the MCAT so many times doesn't look good to schools. You still have a chance! Don't give up. I know of someone who took it five times (yes, five times) and is now a resident at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. If you really want to consider alternative careers, there's always becoming a Physician's Assistant, perhaps a nurse, and yes, a scribe, although I would probably discourage pursuing the latter because of things that I've heard regarding treatment of scribes.