Retrospective study publishing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James ij

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the policy for publishing data that is not derived from your own institution. Another person has collected through surveys a large number of data regarding patient experience with a treatment and he wants me to help him publish it. Can I still do it through my residency program? Do I need IRB approval? How does that work?

Members don't see this ad.

I see. Well the thing is his institution is his website which has been surveying like a few hundred people. He has no institution hahaha. I'll try it with my IRB and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
And also presumably the people surveyed were informed that cumulative results will be published.

Yeah good point, I dont know although the survey did have a disclaimer saying their response belongs to his site

You only technically need IRB approval if the research is federally funded.

That's only partially correct. If what you said is the complete truth, pharm and device companies would run wild with no oversight. After all, they're the ones funding their trials. Not the federal government.

IRB approval is also necessary if the research is subject to regulation by a federal department or agency.

A full list of situations needing IRB oversight can be found at this link.

http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.html

As for the OP, it is far safer to check with your IRB rather than assume that you're exempt.

Because if you assume incorrectly, the resulting penalties can be damaging to your career. Even if you don't ultimately pursue an academic position. You would have to explain them to future prospective employers.