returning peace corps volunteer and ex-bio major to take mcat, help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cariblil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. :confused: :eek: :confused:

its been TWO years since i graduated with my bio degree (i've been here volunteering in st lucia for that time) -- four years since my last ochem class, eeek, so i am more than a little rusty -- and i need some advice to help me get back on the pre-med bandwagon. i'm planning on taking april 07 mcat, since i don't get back to the states till end of aug.

i took the mcat before coming here two years ago, stressed out on senioritis and not having taken any college physics, and i scored a disappointing 23. my gpa is not so stellar either 3.45. but i think i still have a shot and i'm not planning on giving up.. i'm a cali resident, so i'll be shooting for UC's. not so interested in the caribbean schools, or ostheopathic.. just interested in bringing up that MCAT score!

so i was wondering.. does anyone have any advice as to what the best way is to start cracking open those million-and-one books? and is now too early, will i risk getting burnt out by the time the real thing comes? i opened one of my princeton review books and my head nearly exploded... so you can understand what thats like. any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I'm back in Eugene with all the color that exploded from you.

I did the same school break thing. I'm going back to the states after my test in Tokyo this Saturday, (no pressure), and will rejoin the world of working your soul away. Since I know I'll have less time there than I do here, I decided I'd best be studying here, despite the missed opportunity for hot international sex. I started very early, didn't burn out, but didn't get my needed stress requirement until later as the deadline approaches.

If you're going to study, I'd say dabble online. Go to my site and pick up stuff from there, come to SDN and freak yourself out - it'll be great.

The other thing about studying in another country is that buying, selling and transporting books is a-whole-nother ballgame. Online courses I find to be lame and lack of study partners is a problem for me. You can meet a lot of people online that are very cool long-distance buddies though.

So... how much fun you havin' over there?

Caboose.

oh my goodness, you're a brave one. i only considered, for about one millisecond, trying to study my caboose off and taking the aug mcat. but if you've ever lived on an island - japan does not count - where life is slower than slow, "caribbean time", you'd understand why i decided to put it off. my mind is not even working at the pace it once was.. i had to step on the brakes hardcore to adapt to life here, otherwise i would have never lasted.. now its time for the reverse. i figure it'll take me about a year to make up for lost time and lost brain cells. i want to be master of VR by next april.

good luck on the exam.
by the way, eugene rocks.

Caboose said:

I feel like I'm back in Eugene with all the color that exploded from you.

I did the same school break thing. I'm going back to the states after my test in Tokyo this Saturday, (no pressure), and will rejoin the world of working your soul away. Since I know I'll have less time there than I do here, I decided I'd best be studying here, despite the missed opportunity for hot international sex. I started very early, didn't burn out, but didn't get my needed stress requirement until later as the deadline approaches.

If you're going to study, I'd say dabble online. Go to my site and pick up stuff from there, come to SDN and freak yourself out - it'll be great.

The other thing about studying in another country is that buying, selling and transporting books is a-whole-nother ballgame. Online courses I find to be lame and lack of study partners is a problem for me. You can meet a lot of people online that are very cool long-distance buddies though.

So... how much fun you havin' over there?

Caboose.

:cool: Indeed, Eugene is of the rocking nature.
We're online at the same time - that doesn't happen much during my early nighttime.
Things are slower here as well... and everyone is consistantly late, (the foreigners, that is). Not nearly as slow as on your island I can imagine; you have to keep moving in Nagano.
Thanks for the good luck. Right back at ya - long term.

Caboose.