returning to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treesap

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am an American studying in Australia and I am very familiar with the pathway for US students getting back to the US. I am not at all familiar with the Canadian system and am really curious how it all works. Word on the street is that is extremely difficult to get back to Canada and many choose to do the USMLE and do a US residency before returning. So I apologize for my ignorance, but I would really appreciate the "Reader's Digest" version of the route back to Canada.

Start at the beginning...

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

The research I've done would fill several pages, but best thing is to go to the CaRMS website and look at the provinical restrictions and statistics. Neither are very encouraging. Ontario won't take anyone without going through their International Graduates Program for one year, and even then you're restricted to family, obstetrics, psychiatry and general surgery. Other provinces are more flexible, but really it comes down to what options are left the year you want to apply (for instance, two neurosurg spots went unfilled but zero general surg) And you can forget about stuff like rads, derm, ENT, ortho, etc. It does seem you could sneak in somewhere if you were looking at Family, Rural Family, Internal Med, Psychiatry, Obstetrics. Remember, you'd have to be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
If anyone knows more, please feel free to add

Hey, Treesap, coming up to Brisbane for AMSA week next July?

Thanks very much for that site, I'll check that out. I know there is so much information out there, I just don't know where to start.

And yes...I'll be at AMSA Brisbane. I haven't been there yet, but looking forward to it (especially in the middle of winter). Didn't think much of the UQ guys at the Newcastle conference, however...

Members don't see this ad :)
wasn't there, but i did hear that there was a hell of a lot of streaking and the rest.

Hey -- I read an interesting article this morning (Oct 12) that has to do with this topic...check out "Ontario to move on doctor shortage" at www.torontostar.com

Nothing apparently concrete, but may be of some help if you are considering coming to Canada in the near future...

Cheers :D