Returning to school after LOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

symphonica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I am just wondering if anyone here has experience with taking a leave of absence from med school, like for an MPH or a research year. I'd be interested in hearing how you kept your med school material material fresh in your mind while taking time off. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, any advice for USMLE prep. That is, if the LOA was after 1st year...Thanks

Also, any advice for USMLE prep. That is, if the LOA was after 1st year...Thanks

That is the exact same thing I am worried about. Haha.

I didn't personally take a LOA, but first year material is barely necessary for step 1. It is vital to learning M2 material, which is vital for step 1, but that's a different story. As long as you learn the material well, it should come back to you. Otherwise, pick up a BRS physiology book, +/- a review book for anatomy, spend 1 week reading these books before re-entering M2, and you should be set.

Otherwise, if you can help it, take the LOA after 2nd year OR after 3rd year (the latter is better, especially if you take step 2 early on in the leave).