Reusing parts of old secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MediCynical

Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a re-applicant who applied in 2009, so it's been a couple of years. I'm currently working on this secondary and am wondering what your opinions are on re-using chunks for my old essay for the "Why this school?" question.

Honestly, my application has changed significantly since I last applied, but my reasons for applying to this particular school have not. I'm stressing community service as a driving force for applying, but much of what I wrote in my old essay discusses the institution itself (ie their core values, strategic plan, environment, what I've heard from current medical students).

I don't want to look lazy and send in the same thing, but my old essay was pretty darn good (it was the rest of my application that was not so hot :().

Is it OK to use chunks of the old one with some new info here and there?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a re-applicant who applied in 2009, so it's been a couple of years. I'm currently working on this secondary and am wondering what your opinions are on re-using chunks for my old essay for the "Why this school?" question.

Honestly, my application has changed significantly since I last applied, but my reasons for applying to this particular school have not. I'm stressing community service as a driving force for applying, but much of what I wrote in my old essay discusses the institution itself (ie their core values, strategic plan, environment, what I've heard from current medical students).

I don't want to look lazy and send in the same thing, but my old essay was pretty darn good (it was the rest of my application that was not so hot :().

Is it OK to use chunks of the old one with some new info here and there?

As long as you make it sound good and relevant to the school I don't see a problem. As far as I know the schools wont even know. I used several essay's with modified sentences (i.e. replacing the name of the school with another) throughout my secondaries, as I am sure many people do.