1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Reversal of Trend?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Arjuna, May 9, 2008.

1. Arjuna

Arjuna Wielder of the Brahmastra
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi All,
    I wanted to ask if there are any forum members who had fairly mediocre academic performance in High School, (Low G.P.A (<3.7 UW
    0, Low SAT, <2250, etc.) but reversed the trend of poor performance in college. Like a transition from getting Bs and a few As to all As or extremely few Bs, and in general a more positive outlook on studies and life; going from being a BIG procrastinator to a hard worker, etc. I ask, as I am in the former situation, and although I am making amends to myself atm to change that, I am a wee bit nervous. Please respond. :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doomknight

doomknight Bing
    2+ Year Member

4. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Umm isnt a 2250 equivalent to the old 1500???? then yeah im sure youll find a lot of ppl here that did well in undergrad despite mediocre HS performance..In fact im one of themm....I never thought my 1480 would be mediocre though, lol

5. Wylde

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yes.

College is a new start, your HS past will never, ever be relevant again. You, your HS valedictorian, your ex-bf, etc. all have a blank slate. Find something that motivates you and you will be more than capable of getting very good grades.

6. Schemp

Schemp drawing infinity
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Man, I've probably got just about the worst history here.

I did well enough in freshman/sophomore year of high school, something like 3.85. I did Running Start for junior and senior year, never attended, took a bunch of random classes I didn't need and failed tons of classes from lack of attendance and such. I kept going to CC for another year (kind of) after high school was over (which I didn't graduate from), and finally just gave up. I left with a GPA right below 2.0. I came back to school after 3 years away when I realized that I wanted to be a doctor, and have been back since Spring of last year. I've taken 3 classes per quarter (this will be my fifth in a row), and assuming I 4.0 all my classes this quarter, which I think is likely, I will have averaged over a 3.8 since returning.

All it takes is knowing what you want and a little dedication and commitment.

P.S. I still don't have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalence. My goal is to become an M.D. without having finished high school, hah.

7. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so am I the only one that thinks 2250 and a 3.7 isnt mediocre????

Imma go ahead and call

[​IMG]

for this one

8. Wylde

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is the max SAT score? I took the ACT and have on idea what SAT scores mean (ie what is good, what is bad).

I was a little shocked at the 3.7 comment though haha :)

PS: This is probably the most grotesque troll picture you have posted thus far

9. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1500 is average.....2400 is the max...2250 would probably be top 1 maybe 2 percentile.

10. Arjuna

Arjuna Wielder of the Brahmastra
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    lol. Very informative -_-

11. GoldShadow

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Whoa, how cute! Does...it... have a name?

12. suwaifo

Pre-Medical
    hahaha something can be fairly mediocre? Relax foo.

It's kind of ironic that you are asking for advice or something on this. It seems that you have already answered your question. I guess in response to your original question, yes, many of us have done poorly in high school. High school sucked balls anyways. Got a 4.0 in college now, but that was after I nearly didn't graduate from high school. The fact that you nearly listed out the phase that one goes through kind of either means that you A) just had an epiphany and for some reason want to know how others in your situation are fairing, B) just want to talk about changing and don't really intend on changing, or C) are a troll.

13. nonesuchgirl

Mr Smooshy Pants Cuddly Bunny Sweetie Pie Fluff Bucket.

The Third.

14. LadyWolverine

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    W.T.F.

Are all premeds seriously this delusional? Or does bragging about your high standards just make you feel better about yourselves?

15. Margaux1985

Margaux1985 0k member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

You must be new to this forum :rolleyes:

16. bcat85

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I suppose I'll bite.. I did not do as well in high school as I did in college. I still got a decent ACT score (actually the same as my MCAT score), but I just didn't have any work ethic in HS. I really just got by because I went to a crappy HS where every test had a 10 point curve and if you knew how to tie your own shoes and spell your name you were pretty much good to go. I am pretty competitive though, so once I got to college, being with other intelligent students really made me turn it on. good luck.