SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Reverse Discrimination

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by thundercat77, Jun 29, 2002.

1. thundercat77

thundercat77 Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Hello all you SDNers out there. It's so nice to have a community of people who are very supportive and honest about their feelings.

I have a situation for all of you to think about....

I applied to a private, U.S. medical school (M.D.) for this current year. I did a post-bacc with them because I was borderline of getting accepted last year, and I was advised to try this program. I took medical anatomy, medical neurology, and medical biochemistry this passed year. I passed all the national board subject exams and all the classes. Unfortuatenly, I received a decision last week and I was wait-listed. When my advisor told me about what happened, he said that my race (I am Asian-American) hurt my chances. My advisor said that there are too many Asian Americans at this medical school and that if I were black or Hispanic, I probably would have gotten in.

I know there are more sides and spins to this story and I am leaving out other things. However, what do you guys think? What should I do?? What viable options do I have??

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. migs54

migs54 Junior Member 7+ Year Member

May 4, 2002
    I would really consider going to a attorney and ask about the possibility of a lawsuit. I know they want to have diversity, but to say the reason you didnt get in is because there are to many asians is ridiculous. But if you were a minority race you would've been accepated. Imagine if it was the other way around if you were a minority and they said the only reason you didnt get accepted is because you are a minority, jesse jackson and al sharpton wouldve been there the next day. go to a lawyer

4. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned Banned

Aug 8, 2001
    Well from a legal standpoint even with your advisor's testimony I think you have a tough case, the reason being because your advisor is not on the admissions committee (or did i miss somehting)?

If he was speaking from the official position of an admissions committee representative, that carries MUCH more legal weight than an advisor (who was not privy to the reasoning behind the admissions decisions)

Sorry about what happened though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You might want to contact a lawyer that does not charge for the first visit, and they could give you a better idea of where you stand.

5. MD'05

MD'05 Money Hungry Pervert 7+ Year Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Thundercat,

I am sorry to hear this ... I knew an asian fellow who wasn't getting any interviews. He was a California resident and applied to alot of Calif schools. I think his advisors contacted a medical school he was interested in and it helped to get him an interview. You might talk to your advisor and see if he or she has any connections that might help.

Also, I wouldn't let what your advisor said stop you from writing a very nice letter to the admissions committee to express your interest in attending their school.

6. thundercat77

thundercat77 Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Is a lawsuit something I really want to pursue? I mean, can I litigate my way into medical school? Anybody know anyone (other than the Bakke decision) who pressed legal action on the basis of reverse discrimination??

Lionel

7. Ryo-Ohki

Ryo-Ohki 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Bakke. Hopwood. University of Michigan.

The UM case in particular, looks like it will go to the Supreme Court.

The worst thing you can do is to be quiet.

8. omores

omores sleep deprived 10+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Seattle
    Thundercat:

I do sympathize with your situation. You're clearly academically qualified to attend the school, and it must be really frustrating to have gotten waitlisted. If I'd gone through what you had, I'm sure I'd feel cheated. But I think the situation may be a little bit more complicated than that. First of all, medical schools will freely admit that they turn away hundreds of perfectly qualified applicants because they don't have enough places for everyone. I think it would be very difficult to make a convincing case that your race was the sole factor responsible for the school's decision.

And second, </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by thundercat77:
    <strong>My advisor said that there are too many Asian Americans at this medical school and that if I were black or Hispanic, I probably would have gotten in.
    </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If there are already "too many" Asian Americans at the school, I think you'd have a tough time proving that there's a discriminatory institutional policy in place.

This isn't to say that a large number of very qualified Asian American applicants didn't make it harder for you to stand out. But randomness is built into this process, and it's impossible to say that you should have gotten in but didn't.

I do wish you the best of luck, though. It sounds as if you're smart, hard-working and determined, and that should ultimately pay off.

9. UCLA2000

UCLA2000 7+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2001
    the hospital
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by thundercat77:
    <strong>Hello all you SDNers out there. It's so nice to have a community of people who are very supportive and honest about their feelings.

I have a situation for all of you to think about....

I applied to a private, U.S. medical school (M.D.) for this current year. I did a post-bacc with them because I was borderline of getting accepted last year, and I was advised to try this program. I took medical anatomy, medical neurology, and medical biochemistry this passed year. I passed all the national board subject exams and all the classes. Unfortuatenly, I received a decision last week and I was wait-listed. When my advisor told me about what happened, he said that my race (I am Asian-American) hurt my chances. My advisor said that there are too many Asian Americans at this medical school and that if I were black or Hispanic, I probably would have gotten in.

I know there are more sides and spins to this story and I am leaving out other things. However, what do you guys think? What should I do?? What viable options do I have??

Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since your advisor does had nothing to do with the commitee he cannot say for certain that the reason that you got denied is that you're asian. The bottom line is that if there are too many asians at some particular medschool then how are you going to say that they are discriminating against asians.

You'd have a better case as a latino or african american seeing as how they make up over 40% of the US population and only like 5% of the medical school student bodies (this was posted in an article in one of the other threads).

10. Ryo-Ohki

Ryo-Ohki 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Yes, and why are they only 5% of medical school admits?

Merit, what the heck is that?

11. omores

omores sleep deprived 10+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Seattle
    Ryo-Ohki: I'm a wee bit confused by your previous post. What are you asking?

12. Ryo-Ohki

Ryo-Ohki 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2002
    I'm confused as well. Asians make up 3% of the population and take up 30% of the slots. Therefore all medical schools should admit 3% Asians.