Review Book for Family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harika93

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked thru the link for family shelf review books but there is no clear concensus on a good/decent book to use - people say swanson's isnt good, there is casefiles for family....any other new recommendations for books?

:O) thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Blueprints and the NMS question book. I felt very unprepared for the shelf. There was a ton of surgical, Ob/gyn, and peds stuff on there that you would never see in an outpatient setting. Still dont' have my grade back though.... I felt the same way about the neuro and surgery shelfs and aced them. Hopefully that's what happened here too. :scared:

I used Swanson's to review Family Medicine and to study for the nbme shelf (scored in the 90's). The FM shelf was not as difficult as the Medicine shelf exam, but very few questions dealt with the relatively common presenting problems seen in an outpatient family medicine clinic.

Our med school recommended Essentials of Family Medicine by Sloane...I borrowed a copy and felt that it's style (such as an entire chapter on doctor-patient interactions) did not match how I needed to prepare for the shelf exam.

Our school stopped using the family medicine shelf several years ago because the department felt the content was not representative of the field itself.

Our school stopped using the family medicine shelf several years ago because the department felt the content was not representative of the field itself.
I agree concerning the content of the shelf. Our clerkship director feels that it tests more inpatient medicine than outpatient medicine. Therefore, the shelf is only worth 10% of our grade. Supposedly, the NBME is working on changing the content to reflect outpatient medicine but it will take months for a final product.