• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Harika93

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I looked thru the link for family shelf review books but there is no clear concensus on a good/decent book to use - people say swanson's isnt good, there is casefiles for family....any other new recommendations for books?

:O) thanks.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
lonecoyote11.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
About the Ads

katrinadams9

Working class hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I used Blueprints and the NMS question book. I felt very unprepared for the shelf. There was a ton of surgical, Ob/gyn, and peds stuff on there that you would never see in an outpatient setting. Still dont' have my grade back though.... I felt the same way about the neuro and surgery shelfs and aced them. Hopefully that's what happened here too. :scared:

ljl1982

ljl1982
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Chicago
www.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I used Swanson's to review Family Medicine and to study for the nbme shelf (scored in the 90's). The FM shelf was not as difficult as the Medicine shelf exam, but very few questions dealt with the relatively common presenting problems seen in an outpatient family medicine clinic.

Our med school recommended Essentials of Family Medicine by Sloane...I borrowed a copy and felt that it's style (such as an entire chapter on doctor-patient interactions) did not match how I needed to prepare for the shelf exam.

ESPNdeportes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
Our school stopped using the family medicine shelf several years ago because the department felt the content was not representative of the field itself.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Our school stopped using the family medicine shelf several years ago because the department felt the content was not representative of the field itself.
I agree concerning the content of the shelf. Our clerkship director feels that it tests more inpatient medicine than outpatient medicine. Therefore, the shelf is only worth 10% of our grade. Supposedly, the NBME is working on changing the content to reflect outpatient medicine but it will take months for a final product.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.