Review Books for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for such a basic question, but what is a general consensus on the best review books for the different subjects tested on step 1?

FA is good primarily as a source of high yield information, correct? Not as a solid review book if you are trying to somewhat relearn the material for boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for such a basic question, but what is a general consensus on the best review books for the different subjects tested on step 1?

FA is good primarily as a source of high yield information, correct? Not as a solid review book if you are trying to somewhat relearn the material for boards?

I'm using BRS Pharm and Path along with First Aid, First Aid Q&A, First Aid Cases, USMLEworld (all 2000 questions) plus their two full length exams, and 1-2 NBME full length exams.

I originally bought all of the BRS/Rapid Review/High Yield books (one per subject) throughout the year because I thought there would be enough time for all of the low yield subjects. There just hasn't been as we were given 4.5-5 weeks to study. I started reading the anatomy book and read a couple chapters but it is extremely low yield information despite being condense. (I wish I had read the stuff during my courses last year but it's not useful to do for the boards when more important things have to be learned. (For all of my M2 courses I did read the associated BRS book during the class).

Members don't see this ad :)
FA, RR pathology, and BRS physiology should be more than enough as far as books go. RR path basically integrates pathology and pathophysiology together.

UWorld q-bank is a must.

thanks for the help..

another question - what is the different between the original FA and first aid for organ systems?

i only read first aid 2009 but i did about 7000 questions in uworld, qbank, and rx.

thanks for the help..

another question - what is the different between the original FA and first aid for organ systems?

Well, its in color and covers everything from embryo to high yield anatomy, path (path is good IMO) and pharmacology. Its a well laid out book thats easy on the eyes but has waaay too many errors even for a first edition. It lacks the basic science approach that the original FA has (Biochem, micro, ect.) IMO it has the potential to be a great book if they fixed the numerous errors in it.