Review books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Review books that I should buy by the time school starts in august?

Members don't see this ad.

I have bought the following:

- BRS Phys
- Rapid Review Path
- First Aid 2008
- Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
- Rohen's Anatomy
- Netter's Anatomy (actually left over from undergrad)
- Netter's Flash Cards
- Mosby's Manual of Lab and Diagnostic Tests (or something like that... this is more for my own personal reference at work, but I think it will have a place for my studies in med school too)
- Some pharm book. Can't remember which one.

I also got an otoscope/opthalmoscope set from one of our OB/GYN residents for $160. It is in pretty good condition too. I don't think it was used much.

I have bought the following:

- BRS Phys
- Rapid Review Path
- First Aid 2008
- Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
- Rohen's Anatomy
- Netter's Anatomy (actually left over from undergrad)
- Netter's Flash Cards
- Mosby's Manual of Lab and Diagnostic Tests (or something like that... this is more for my own personal reference at work, but I think it will have a place for my studies in med school too)
- Some pharm book. Can't remember which one.

I also got an otoscope/opthalmoscope set from one of our OB/GYN residents for $160. It is in pretty good condition too. I don't think it was used much.

Some guy is selling his review books from 2002 at a really good price...most of which you have listed...all for a third of the price that he paid for them. BRS phys, BRS path, CMMRS, and a bunch of other stuff. Would it be best if I just shell out the extra dough for the newer editions, or would I be okay with these older editions?

Members don't see this ad :)
-First Aid for the USMLE Step-I

-BRS Pathology (some will argue that Goljan is better but this is the one I use and I love it)

-Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards

These are the 3 I use and I wish I used them earlier since there has a been a clear increase in my grades and understanding of the material when I began supplementing my studying with them. These 3 are pretty much must haves for any medical student and I think everyone will agree (with some preferring Goljan to BRS).

Here's my list...

1. USMLE Road Map - Gross Anatomy
2. Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
3. Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
4. High Yield: Histology
5. BRS: Pathology
6. Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology

if you guys anticipate needing help in biochem get the Kaplan Biochem notes for step 1, best resource for biochem out there.

netters for anatomy lab. usmle road map is pretty good for anatomy.
goljan audio (great for the drive or nights where you just can't read but could listen) for step one material (he also has step two material but i think the step one stuff is superior).
clinical micro made ridiculously simple.
brs physio (in general the brs books are pretty good).
first aid.
i aced first year and didn't use any of this stuff (but wish i had)-- just studied the class notes... but had i been using this stuff board prep later would have been easier.

Review books that I should buy by the time school starts in august?

None. The one that you might want to have at some point is BRS physiology. You will probably want BRS pathology, but most of the pathology that you will encouter will be during your second year. For the most part, I've found that what board review books you use are really a matter of preference-- different people like to use different books. Some people like a lot of detail, some people don't, some people really have to have the review questions at the end of each chapter, others don't, some want the diagrams and charts, others never glance at them.

What I would suggest is holding off on buying any books until you get to your school's bookstore and have the opportunity to at least glance through the books to see if you like them. Then, if you think you need the book, go online and buy it because it is probably going to be way cheaper on amazon.

The only exception to what I said is a few textbooks/atlases. Talk to your upperclassmen regarding the must-haves. For my school you need a Netter's atlas for anatomy and most people have a copy of Moore's. Other than that, everything else is just optional.

Some guy is selling his review books from 2002 at a really good price...most of which you have listed...all for a third of the price that he paid for them. BRS phys, BRS path, CMMRS, and a bunch of other stuff. Would it be best if I just shell out the extra dough for the newer editions, or would I be okay with these older editions?

the BRS path and brs phsy may be ok but CMMRS may not be the best choice since some of the pharm in it may have changed.

If I were you I would wait a bit. You should be able to pick up some books from second years finishing the boards for around the same price but hte books will be newer.

If you have the physiology text by linda costanzo, should you even bother getting BRS Physio? Doesn't it more or less cover the same material?

BRS Physiology changed my B's into A's!!!

If you have the physiology text by linda costanzo, should you even bother getting BRS Physio? Doesn't it more or less cover the same material?

Isn't that the same book?

No it isn't. The physio textbook is a larger, purple textbook whereas the BRS physio is much more compact.

Goljan audio was illegally made and is not for sale. Further discussion on the topic of how to acquire said audio will result in closure of this thread.

On a personal note, I think he should make a legitimate audio for sale. He'd make a bloody fortune.