review course for qualifying exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europeman

Trauma Surgeon / Intensivist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PD is making all the chiefs sign up for a review course or she won't sign off on our ABS appications. We all did pretty well on the absite too. But apparently this is how he assures his chiefs pass. Anyway, this is a fit frustrating.

Anyway know of the cheapest review course out there?

Anyone know of the best?

Members don't see this ad.

The courses are:

Osler

Odyssey

New York General Surgery Review (mostly designed for recerts)

The Pass Machine

ACS

Not sure which is the cheapest. Maybe you can convince him to spring for the NYGS CDs/DVDs which you could listen to in your spare time.

The best? That's up for debate. Most will say you don't really *need* a course but it does get you away from the hospital and family to be able to focus on studying for a few days. Osler is the most popular, probably because its been around the longest, but some of the information (and lecturers) should be put out to pasture, IMHO.

My PD is making all the chiefs sign up for a review course or she won't sign off on our ABS appications. We all did pretty well on the absite too. But apparently this is how he assures his chiefs pass. Anyway, this is a fit frustrating.

Anyone know of the best?

They make you take one but they don't pay for it??? Bastards. We get one paid for but I didn't feel like going (already had a vacation planned) so I got the online version of the pass machine and watched the lectures that way. I thought it was a decent course and even if I would have passed regardless it made me feel a little more confident. I have a coupon if anyone wants a little discount.

Any chance you can sign up, have the PD sign off, then cancel the course?

Anyone know of the best?

I would focus on the best rather than the cheapest. If the PD is forcing you to take a course, you should make the most of it, and try to improve your outcome on the QE.

What is the first time pass rate for the QE at your institution? I know some places with borderline pass rates have instituted similar policies, and it seems like a good idea overall. Of course, a better idea would be to fix the curriculum that is causing QE failures.

Regardless, you have to take a course, so take a good one.