1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

review my school list, YEAH BUDDY LIGHT WEIGHT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by chweasel, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chweasel

7+ Year Member

YEAH BUDDY! LIGHT WEIGHT!

seriously though, here is my school list, 3.2/3.2/36 average EC's, practically no research, starting an SMP in a couple weeks

USC (complete reach, but i would like to go to med school in cali, where i live, i know the UC's wont just cuz of SMP not done yet)
    Wright, Toledo, UCinci, NEUCOM, Case, OhioSt (i get residency in Ohio cuz of smp after this year)
    NYMC, albany, Slu, georgetown, EVMS, VCU, Creighton, Tufts, Drexel, BU, Tulane (all have SMP i think)
    SUNY (downstate, upstate, buffalo), GWU, UCF, Vtech, FIU, FAU, SLU, MCW, UWiscon, RFU, WayneSt, MSU, Loyola, Temple, Wake, Oakland

any of these schools very unfriendly to OOS? are my stats too crappy for these schools? any of these schools dont want to look at me until i finish SMP?

thanks in advance for responses.

p.s. aint nothing but a peanut. i think you can do this brutus.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

SUNY Upstate has an OOS matriculation rate in the lower teens, but otherwise, I think all the rest are > 15%, except NEUCOM, which I trust you've checked into to be sure they'll give you consideration at all.

4. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

I have to question applying to FIU. Apparently 1,922 applicants from OOS and only 6 got in. Those are horrible odds in my opinion.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I have that they took 21% OOS matriculants from MSAR 2011-2012 edition. Was that 6/40=15% for the 2010 class? And they planned to accept 80 for this and next year's class, which might increase the OOS accepted.

6. SeminoleVesicle

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ain't nothin but a peanut. In all seriousness though, UCF, FAU, and FIU heavily prefer in-state students.

7. chweasel

7+ Year Member

hmm, that aint light weight at all, i think i will take the florida schools out then, as well as SUNY upstate.

Is >15% a very good OOS matriculation rate? I was under the impression that that was quite low.

Also, are all those other schools kind of within my range? Like I'm not reaching very hard am I?

Thanks a bunch of bananas.

8. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Class size: 43
    In-state applicants: 1,478
    Acceptances: 37
    OOS applicants: 1,922
    Acceptances: 6

13.9% acceptance for OOS, but the number of OOS applicants is huge. You have a 0.3% chance from all OOS to get in.

9. chweasel

7+ Year Member

ok this is my list so far

albany
    einstein
    boston
    case
    creighton
    drexel
    vms
    gwu
    georgetown
    hofstra
    keck
    loyola
    mcw
    msu
    nyu
    oakland
    rfu
    slu
    temple
    osu
    toledo
    tufts
    tulane
    cinci
    u of wisc
    vcu
    vtech
    wake
    wayne
    wright

I'd like to add 5 more, any suggestions on 5 that are kinda wihtin my range or within my stats (i know my stats suck, but i mean, ones where my stats dont suck AS bad at)

thanks!