Review of Duggan's WREB review course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBCC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
I took Duggan's WREB course and just wanted to give a review. I didn't see any others out there so hopefully this will be helpful. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1) He offers long courses (2.5 months) so if you haven't practiced dentistry in awhile, you can take it slowly to get back into practice.
2) He is good at evaluating preps and also has good hand skills.
3) It's all hands-on so you are able to practice a fair amount and get feedback.
4) The Prostho review was decent (taught by another dentist), although it was geared toward California Board, not WREB.
5) Endo portion was decent (taught by another dentist), although they had no radiograph backlights to properly view radiographs.
6) He is picky with your work and grades harder than examiners, so it helps you to make yourself do better work.

Cons:
1) He doesn't really know what's in the Candidate Guide and about the exam itself. For example, he didn't know that you get a 3 point deduction when a modification is rejected.You have to inform him about the exam procedures, not vice versa!
2) He tries to make you buy his instruments and materials (usually at a marked up price) and will charge you for every tiny thing, like screws, wax, etc. Nothing is free besides using his gloves and masks. All other disposable items must be purchased.
3) He will use your materials and teeth (that you bought from him) to do group demonstrations instead of having a set of stuff of his own just for that purpose. For example, he demonstrated putting on a rubber dam and instead of having his own materials ready for demonstration, he wanted to use students' materials. Since no one brought all their rubber dam instruments/materials that day, he made one student purchase a clamp, another bought rubber dam sheets, etc. He basically wouldn't spare one rubber dam sheet on his own just to demonstrate. He said that if we didn't have the materials, he couldn't do the demonstration. He did this also with demonstrating preps, etc.
4) His Prostho and Perio manuals were practically unrelated to WREB. He just compiles a bunch of materials and puts them together, but they don't relate to WREB. He sometimes copies out of other textbooks and puts it in the manual. He uses the same materials for California Board too, so there is no specfic WREB review manual.
5) He did not cover PATP at all.
6) He is constantly taking personal phone calls while teaching. He will very often interrupt teaching so that everyone has to wait for him while he is chatting on the phone. He also will spend time on his computer doing photo projects and when you ask him to check something, he will often make you wait in order to finish his computer stuff first. He doesn't realize that we are also paying for his time and a lot of time is wasted this way.
7) He makes you pay a $200 deposit to check out his DVDs (demonstrating various things). That's not the bad part. The bad part is that when you return all of your DVDs to him in order to get your $200 back, he is very hesitant to return the money. He will make all different types of excuses (like money is at another office, your receipt has a missing signature, etc) in order to avoid giving back the deposit. Some people wait a couple weeks to get money back and sometimes had to argue. It's almost as if he hopes that you'll just forget about it. Also, a bunch of the DVDs didn't even work.

Well, those are the things I can think of. Hope this is helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
great job TBCC! you hit the nail right on the head...i had the EXACTLY SAME experience.....although i DID learn a lot from the class....i feel that between his personal phonecalls and visits to his wife (downstairs)...A LOOOOOT of my time was wasted on trying to get him to see my prep(also, he doesnt look at homework preps more than what he had assigned, he charges for that!!)...but I dont see another way that i could have prepared for the exam.....

HI ,
I am sooo devastated in WASTING yes WASTING my 4000 DOLLARS for this WORTHLESS CLASS. ATTNTION FUTURE PPL THINKING ABOUT TAKING HIS COURSE! YOU WILL CRY!

FIRST....He charges for EVERYTHING. If you try to stay 5 MINUTES after HE WILL CHARGE YOU 5$ PER HOUR (he considers this for his electricity)
SECOND EVERYTHING HE SELLS IS 3 X it's REAL VALUE!!!
THIRD HE IS NOW NONSTOP ON THE COMPUTER AND/OR CELL PHONE...He doesnt even TEACH anymore..he makes you WATCH DVD'S!!!!!!! WHICH OF COURSE YOU MUST PAY AN EXTR 200$ "DEPOSIT" WHICH YOU CAN ALMOST FORGET ABOUT GETTING BACK!!!!!

FOURTH THE X-RAY MACHINE IN COLTON (ALMOST IN RIVERSIDE) DOESNT EVEN WORK DURING YOUR 3 DAY ENDO COURSE BY A TEACHER THAT DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EXAM!!!!!!

FIFTH: He TELLS you that he will check your patients for you.....BUT HE CHARGES AND 99% OF THE TIME HE FAILS THEM!!! AND YES...HE STILL CHARGES YOU AND YOU MUST BRING YOUR X-RAYS!!!

I CAN GO ON AND ON....

THAT PLACE WAS A WASTE OF MONEY!! YEP IN THE EIGHTIES PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE BENIFIT FROM THAT BUT AS OF THE MOMENT THERE WAS NO BENIFITS, NO ACQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, NO NOTHING!!!! BUT INDEED THE HEARING OF STUPID CELL PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Well no need to say that all the posts stated above are correct! it is uselless the 2.5 months stretch of attempting to go there, I would have rather had 1 week of this torment!

Yep it was pretty bad, the whole didatic of the course, organization, the issue of returning the 200.00 deposit back what a struggle, the "so-called" endodontic course (WHAT COURSE... couldnt even take a xray for god's sake), the fact that even if you blink your eye for a second you will get charged it pretty demoniac, the after "so-called" class time that you have to pay to stay extra and duggan doesnt even stop by to check in your preparation how patetic.

No one here is beating around the bush, yep the course might have been good when the RT exam was going on, but now it ridiculous, you will get charged for everything, the whole phone call and computer printing .... is also true and frustrating since you are coming from far away, you are not really entitled to this type of treatment.

Think well before you enroll in the circus session! :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
oh...one more thing....if you pay by credit card....they write down ur credit card number and refuse to let you erase/scratch it on their records even after you are done w/ the class.....i tried to get them to give me all my records so i could scratch them myself and they said 'you are in good hands' and made me feel as if i was demanding something that was ridiculous.....ya...right...now i either have to cancel that credit card...or keep a very good eye on it for any misuse!

2nd- the staff doesnt even know english properly...and claim they 'dont have dr. duggans number' if you want to talk 2 dr duggan....

I'm not surprised that his courses are getting worse and worse. I think since the RT is ending, he doesn't get as many students anymore so he is trying to make money by charging for every single nonsense. Plus he doesn't have much competition in terms of other courses out there, so he just does what he likes and doesn't care. But at least when I had the course, the x-ray machine was working and the instructor, Dr. Stilton, was not bad. Even though he too was often taking personal phone calls, at least he would put his calls on hold to help you first. Duggan, of course, always takes his phone calls before you. It's just cheating everyone of time and money, especially money. He is so picky about making you purchase every single thing, but when it comes to time, he's off visiting his wife and playing with his computer when he should be instructing instead. I'll be curious to see how his business runs in the future.

The Duggan course is not the best option out there , but i would like to know if his course is still good enough to help you pass the wreb.

From what I heard from teachers , at my school is that Duggan's course is really made to pass the State board, not the Wreb , so the guy clearly has no clue on what the wreb is like. Maybe he should take a wreb course. :laugh:

* Duggan seems cheap * :D

Last edited:
I don't know anything about Duggan's course ,but I can tell you I took ucla courses for RT and WREB and I passed both at the first intent. These courses cover every part of each exam.

I took WesternDentalConsultants.com review class for the WREB exam and received free referrals to qualifying patients for the test in Dec at USC.
Dr. Gilbert who teaches the course had great knowledge of the specified details and criteria of the exam. He knew the candidate guide intimately from cover to cover. He gives a comprehensive lecture going over all aspects of the WREB exam. I found out that he has been doing these review classes for 18 years and it shows.
the service was not cheap but it got my confidence and speed up before the test started and I didn't have to worry about getting good patients. I would recommend this review class and patient referral to anyone taking the WREB Exam in 2009:love::luck:

Hi fOLKS,
I need to buy a dental manikin/typhodont for personal practice towards the exam , is anyone out there of help regarding this ?
Thanks

Hi Lady Dentist
Thank you so much for helping to put my mind at reat. i was looking up Prep courses and found Dr. Gilbert's course. After speaking with him, i felt i should go for it but was not sure. Now, I feel so much better. unfortunately, i won't be able to benefit much fro pt screening as i'm from out of state, but its good to know i'll b getting my moneys worth.

I took WesternDentalConsultants.com review class for the WREB exam and received free referrals to qualifying patients for the test in Dec at USC.
Dr. Gilbert who teaches the course had great knowledge of the specified details and criteria of the exam. He knew the candidate guide intimately from cover to cover. He gives a comprehensive lecture going over all aspects of the WREB exam. I found out that he has been doing these review classes for 18 years and it shows.
the service was not cheap but it got my confidence and speed up before the test started and I didn't have to worry about getting good patients. I would recommend this review class and patient referral to anyone taking the WREB Exam in 2009:love::luck:

I don't know why some people posted some negative remarks about Dr. Duggan's class. I am taking his IDP class now. I feel very happy with this class. Dr. Duggan is very nice and patient. He has more stringent requirement for the preps than the bench exam I am going to take. He has very good eyes. He often comes to me and check how am I doing with my preps. Occasionally he was on the phone while I wanted him to take a look at my prep but I have never waited for more than three minutes to get his feedback.

Before I took the class, Dr. Duggan sent me a list about the instrument and materials I need for the class. I guess he sends such email to every student and expect student to be well-prepared. People who blamed him to overcharge the instrument he sells in his office probably should read the list carefully and be prepared before the class. He has never pushed me buy anything from him. His instrument and material may not be cheaper than ebay but still reasonable price. Indeed his office is not a warehouse. We go there to learn skills, not to buy instrument.

His staff (office manager) is an American lady who speaks perfect English.

I didn't know what happened before but I think my experience tells me that I have made a correct choice to study in his class.

Hi Lady Dentist
Thank you so much for helping to put my mind at reat. i was looking up Prep courses and found Dr. Gilbert's course. After speaking with him, i felt i should go for it but was not sure. Now, I feel so much better. unfortunately, i won't be able to benefit much fro pt screening as i'm from out of state, but its good to know i'll b getting my moneys worth.
Hi,Thank you for your comment!I am going to take the course and patients with western consultant and hope it helps.