Review of Nova's Survivor MD Show

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zorro21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got finished watching the PBS show produced by NOVA about being a doctor. the show did not meet my expectations, and i was rather disappointed.
i thought that the show would go through each year of medical school and analyze the daily life of each year. i thought that it would show the first day of med school, how the students felt, how scared and excited they were. i thought that it would show how many hours a day students studied, and how they struggled with the vast amount of material. how medical students reacted the night before exams, how many classes they took each year, how the students dealt with the pressure and stress of school. i thought that this show would show a more in-depth look of LIFE IN medical school.
instead, what i saw was the life of one student, what he did outside of medical school and how he dealt with students who were from a different economic background than he was. the show went rather quickly through each year and failed to provide an in depth look at the daily life of the typical medical student as he or she progressed through each year of school. i found it to be a more personal "life history" story of someone who went to medical school, skipped the medical school part and went directly to his life as a doctor: his wedding, how many wives he had, his house, and what he looked like getting dressed. it showed very little of life as AN ACTUAL MEDICAL STUDENT.
i am be way off on my review of this program, but i was rather disappointed about the program. does anyone have any thoughts about this show? who knows, may be the next shows in the series will be better.
please post your comments. i am interested to hear what others have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

I somewhat agree with your statement, however, I think that the goal of the show was met. What I mean by this is that the viewer got to see how medical school, medicine and the hospital environment can change a person throughout the years. I have a friend who is doing his first year residency in Baltimore and after 2 years of absence I was shocked to see how different he is now. It was like medical school was a savage beast that just kept on blowing punches at him. He broke up with his girlfriend, lost alot of weight and unfortunately, he is now a smoker. I can see the reality behind the PBS show. I am not saying that all people will change after medical school and residency, but some will be affected more than others. I give the show an A for portraying the reality of a physician's life and a C for portraying the details of medical school.

Zorro, I'm not sure if you know this, but what they showed was actually part three of a 15 year project. The first two parts did look at medical school in more depth than what was shown here. The first part was the first four years, second part was internship and residency. This is kind of a follow up, and I believe there are two more episodes to go.

For me, this was probably the best shot in the metaphorical arm I could have right now. This guy most accurately reflects what my experience will be. I was very interested in what he had to say about socio-economic differences, because I'm already dealing with those issues at Berkeley. I also find that my approach to life and school is often mis-interpreted, and it was interesting for me to hear that it wasn't all in my head.

Also, I have tattoos, and one that won't be easy to hide. I thought what he had to say about how other doctors percieve them was informative. So far, most doctors that I've worked with actually liked my tattoos (or at least say they do). But I also think that they may cause me some anxiety, especially during residency. But then again, I wouldn't have them removed, and after it's all over, I plan on getting more. It might be a little harder on me, given that I'm a girl.

Oh, well,

Nanon

[This message has been edited by Nanon (edited March 28, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
The very first part was very good. It is available for purchase on the NOVA website. I believe that it is 20.00.

Originally posted by Nanon:

Also, I have tattoos, and one that won't be easy to hide. I thought what he had to say about how other doctors percieve them was informative. So far, most doctors that I've worked with actually liked my tattoos (or at least say they do). But I also think that they may cause me some anxiety, especially during residency. But then again, I wouldn't have them removed, and after it's all over, I plan on getting more. It might be a little harder on me, given that I'm a girl.

Props to you Nanon! I have wanted a tattoo for so long, but people keep saying that they are unprofessional...especially on females in the workplace. I just may get one now afterall.

Tattoos are fine...as long as they DON'T look like they were done by your cell mate. LOL

I concur, Neurogirl.
wink.gif
To tiffsatt, my advice to you, such as it is, is to get the tattoo in some place that can be hidden by scrubs. I have one on the back of my neck that can't be easily seen, and one on my back. But I also have one on my right forearm. I think it's beautiful (Japanese, koi and cherry blossoms in water in a band around my arm), but I imagine that in some clinical settings, I'll be wearing long sleeves on hot days.

Other advice that I can't emphasize enough... do your research. Don't just ask friends, ask tattoo artists, and people in the scene who is best in your area for the style you want. Visit the shop beforehand, and make sure that the equipment is sterile. And for cripes sake, make sure the tattoo is unique to you. Spend some time thinking about what you want to convey with it. I'm so sick of seeing kids with the latest trend permanently affixed to their bodies. And there is nothing, I'm told, more embarrasing than to see your tattoo on someone else. Far worse than wearing the same dress to a party, I'm sure... hehehe.

Nanon (who has more teeth than tattoos. For now, at least.)