Review on back cover of 2004 First Aid (King of the Hill connection)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other night I was looking at my copy of the 2004 edition of First Aid for USMLE Step 1 and noticed a couple of positive reviews for the book. It said they were "online reviews", so I assume they came from the Amazon website. I noticed that one of them ended with -A reader from Arlen, Texas. The funny thing is there is no town of Arlen, Texas, it is a fictional town from the cartoon King of the Hill. So I wonder if the authors of First Aid did it as a joke, or are they just clueless.

Members don't see this ad.

That is great!
If I ever actually look at my review book (dusty in closet somewhere) I will have to look for that. :laugh:

Discobolus said:
The other night I was looking at my copy of the 2004 edition of First Aid for USMLE Step 1 and noticed a couple of positive reviews for the book. It said they were "online reviews", so I assume they came from the Amazon website. I noticed that one of them ended with -A reader from Arlen, Texas. The funny thing is there is no town of Arlen, Texas, it is a fictional town from the cartoon King of the Hill. So I wonder if the authors of First Aid did it as a joke, or are they just clueless.

Dude u should post this in the "Mistakes in First Aid" Thread :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Discobolus said:

Arlen is a fictional town and First Aid is a fictional Step 1 and 2 study aid.

Sorry, I think First Aid is vastly overrated. It may have been good ten years ago when the Step tests were longer and trivia based (with discrete answers like e) Virchow's Triad) but the format of First Aid does not lend itself to the conceptual nature of the current tests.

In other words, you're going to waste your time learning discrete facts when most of the questions on the Step tests are of the "What is the next step in the treatment" or "Which set of lab values represents the patients condition" variety.

First Aid may be updated every year but if you look they also keep a lot of the previous years material. I think First Aid needs a major format revision, not just a periodic addition of small amounts of new trivia added to a pool of the same.

I just don't think reading First Aid or even the BRS books is going to help you that much. Put yer' friggin' flame throwers down. This is just my opinion.

Online questions like USMLEworld and Kaplan qbank are the most high-yield in my opinion. If you do all 2000 of each in preparation for Step 1 (reading the explanations to right and wrong answers, of course, I think you will be well prepared.

Panda Bear said:
Arlen is a fictional town and First Aid is a fictional Step 1 and 2 study aid.

Sorry, I think First Aid is vastly overrated. It may have been good ten years ago when the Step tests were longer and trivia based (with discrete answers like e) Virchow's Triad) but the format of First Aid does not lend itself to the conceptual nature of the current tests.

In other words, you're going to waste your time learning discrete facts when most of the questions on the Step tests are of the "What is the next step in the treatment" or "Which set of lab values represents the patients condition" variety.

First Aid may be updated every year but if you look they also keep a lot of the previous years material. I think First Aid needs a major format revision, not just a periodic addition of small amounts of new trivia added to a pool of the same.

I just don't think reading First Aid or even the BRS books is going to help you that much. Put yer' friggin' flame throwers down. This is just my opinion.

Online questions like USMLEworld and Kaplan qbank are the most high-yield in my opinion. If you do all 2000 of each in preparation for Step 1 (reading the explanations to right and wrong answers, of course, I think you will be well prepared.

Aren't you the guy who said that you got a crappy score on Step 1 and are near the bottom of your class in med school?

Bo Hurley said:
Aren't you the guy who said that you got a crappy score on Step 1 and are near the bottom of your class in med school?

No. I got a 219 on Step 1 which is above the national average meaning, unless I am wrong, that I did better than 50 percent of the medical students in the United States which is not bad for a guy at the bottom of the class.

And yes, I did use First Aid for Step 1 studying and I feel like if I had spent the time I wasted trying to memorize its contents doing questions I would have done a whole lot better.

But, and this is critical, everybody has a different system for studying for Step 1. Some people do nothing but read First Aid. Some people do nothing but questions. Some people don't study at all and take it cold.

Do whatever you want when you get there.

Bo Hurley said:

Aren't you the guy who doesn't like dogs?

Bo Hurley said:

All right, just when I thought I was hip and cool because I finally knew what "pwned" meant you have to go use what I can only assume is another one of its meanings.

Do I "pwn" you because you dislike dogs or do you "pwn" me?

No old man, you pwned me by giving what I though was a good comeback zinger. I just acknowledged it.