Reviewing during summer after M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minwoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been selected as summer fellow at my med school and am doing research for the rest of the summer (about 5 weeks left now). After my 9-4 shift I am extremely bored to the point that I started looking at some of my old notes from the first year. I realized that I've already forgotten so much and it has scared me to the point that I feel like I need to review and re-learn this stuff. Now, I know alot of ppl will say that there is no harm in just relaxing in the summer after M1 BUT if there was 1 or 2 subjects that you could have reviewed during the summer and maybe in retrospect, would have actually helped for M2 and the upcoming Step 1...what subjects would you review? The major courses taken during M1 for me were: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Histology, Genetics, Bio-statistics. I'm learning towards re-reading my Physiology textbook and possibly doing Biochemistry BRS. Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would by a copy of FA and review everything from your old notes that's related to material in FA. This will help get you familiar with FA for the boards. You're going to forget everything this year anyway; the real advantage is SEEING stuff in the format that you'll eventually be using for the final push, so your mind can re-make the connections faster.

At my school, first year material was not tested during second year. The teachers would sometimes review a bit of first year material to get us up to speed, but it was minimal and not on the test.

A lot of first year material is surprisingly high yield for the boards (you can use FA to guide you to the specifics). But whatever you study right now will be long forgotten by next summer when you're starting your dedicated step 1 study. Nothing from first year is really high yield at all for second year classes, and those things that are will be repeated and retaught in second year anyway. So moral of the story is, don't review anything from first year unless that's actually fun for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of first year material is surprisingly high yield for the boards (you can use FA to guide you to the specifics). But whatever you study right now will be long forgotten by next summer when you're starting your dedicated step 1 study. Nothing from first year is really high yield at all for second year classes, and those things that are will be repeated and retaught in second year anyway. So moral of the story is, don't review anything from first year unless that's actually fun for you.

This is pretty accurate.

Just enjoy your summer and rest up for M2..

BUT if there was 1 or 2 subjects that you could have reviewed during the summer and maybe in retrospect, would have actually helped for M2 and the upcoming Step 1...what subjects would you review? The major courses taken during M1 for me were: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Histology, Genetics, Bio-statistics.

Don't do it. Learn a new language or pick up a new hobby or something.

When studying for Step 1, you will not think back and say "damn, I'm glad I studied all that time during that one last summer." Of all those things, physiology is the highest yield, but the physiology you need to know will be hit upon time and time again when you're studying through M2. Lots of my classmates pulled off 240+ scores without slaving away in front of First Aid for their last summer off.

Don't waste your summer reviewing M1 notes! Live life!

You can study all summer, it won't gain you a single point on STEP 1 at this stage in your career. Enjoy your final summer off and don't be such a gunner!

We covered about 5/6 of all the drugs in Katzung's Pharm Board Review. I am going to just reread it and the pharm section in FA. Maybe make flash cards so I don't have to waste time on it when boards are coming up?

It seems like a ton of people bitch about being the least prepared for pharm going into step 1, probably due to the just pure rote memorization? dunno, but it shouldn't take too long to make an anki flash card set.

I know this is very hypocritical because I always tell pre-M1 kids not to pre study before M1... but hey, I am neurotic.

If you absolutely must do something, seems like reading BRS physiology for 30 minutes a day would be a good choice. I read it during downtime at my research job and seems to do a good job of summarizing the highlights of MS1.

For people planning on re-reading and studying this summer: bookmark this thread and come read it again a year from now. You'll be amused at your former self!

i agree with the "live life" advice ...if you are so bored after a normal work day and cannot function as a normal person then you should do your best to get out there, make friends and hang out. in third year there is a lot of social and interpersonal interaction that happens and if you are lacking in that category then that is one place you may target for improvement.

one thing i do wish i would've studied during the summer off is medical spanish. it's probably one of the most useful things during third year.

if neither of those appeal to you i would suggest you pre-study for second year. reviewing first year material isn't going to help you during second year and by the time you start studying for step 1 you will have forgotten all the info again. I do think that getting a head start on micro would've been helpful. unlike pre-studying for first year you already know what medical school is like and the expectations and you can even ask for notes from an upperclassman that you can study

Perhaps you can pick up a copy of FA if you don't already have one. Go through relevant first aid sections and annotate them with notes from your M1 classes and/or review books. Your basically laying the groundwork for future studying by doing this. I wouldn't worry about doing any super intense review but spending some time annotating first aid should help you later.

It's definitely a scary feeling when you think about how much material you seem to have forgotten. But you'll be surprised at how familiar things look when you actually start reviewing.

Last edited:
just get gunner training....it pays off in the LONG run and you're basically learning FA for the long haul

just get gunner training....it pays off in the LONG run and you're basically learning FA for the long haul

This is exactly what I'm doing. Like you, I'm working throughout the day, so I try to go through some GT review during my downtime and the rest when I get home. I try to bank 1 or 2 easier cards during the weekday and pick it up a bit during the weekend. I think it's a bit different since I'm back at home where my family is and my friends who live here are very busy (think consulting, banking jobs), so I feel that I don't have an inherent need to go out to socialize non-stop. That said, make sure you do make time to go out, exercise, see a show, etc. and do things that you normally would not be able to do during the year - I think M1 has made me more appreciative of the free time that I do have.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only books you're going to see me reading this summer are the first book or two of A Song of Ice and Fire and maybe some smutty romance novel thrown in for some lighter fare.

I'd like to review physio, biochem, anatomy; read behavioral science and general path chapters. but even the 1st 2 (brs physio and biochem) is unlikely. If i bookmark this and go back to it a year from today I will probably be pissed that I had so much time and was lazy. But I AM lazy.

i agree with the "live life" advice ...if you are so bored after a normal work day and cannot function as a normal person then you should do your best to get out there, make friends and hang out. in third year there is a lot of social and interpersonal interaction that happens and if you are lacking in that category then that is one place you may target for improvement.

one thing i do wish i would've studied during the summer off is medical spanish. it's probably one of the most useful things during third year.

if neither of those appeal to you i would suggest you pre-study for second year. reviewing first year material isn't going to help you during second year and by the time you start studying for step 1 you will have forgotten all the info again. I do think that getting a head start on micro would've been helpful. unlike pre-studying for first year you already know what medical school is like and the expectations and you can even ask for notes from an upperclassman that you can study

if you're not good at interpersnal interactions, maybe you should concentrate on something you're good at like step1. How is year1 material not useful if it is covered on step1. this is just illogical garbage that you might hear from people who either barely pass step1 or the people who study more than anybody else but tell everyone that they shouldn't study.

If i bookmark this and go back to it a year from today I will probably be pissed that I had so much time and was lazy.

Hey, no skin off my back. Study up if you'd like.

I've never been one to go with majority opinion because it's majority opinion. But when you have countless people suggesting that it's not worth it, and when those people were in your shoes just a few short years ago, you've gotta figure there's something to that.

I think annotating FA and making anki cards are good suggestions. Basically setting yourself up for the 4-6 week study period before step 1 so you can hit the ground running.

I've never been one to go with majority opinion because it's majority opinion. But when you have countless people suggesting that it's not worth it, and when those people were in your shoes just a few short years ago, you've gotta figure there's something to that.

I mean, I am personally hitting pharm I didn't learn well during classes. I figure I should have a solid base so it's truly a review when I start step 1 prep.

I think it's probably ok to review specific, certain areas. I just won't review everything.

just assume i am taking their advice, because the summeris already half over and i've done nothing:(

the earliest you should even sniff Step 1 review materials is after January 1st. 1/3 of the questions from Step 1 will just be random stuff you heard you professor mention once or material discussed in small group. The rest you'll learn throughout the year(stuff strongly emphasized) or will be able to review easily (talking about the first year stuff).
You only live once, go jump off a mountain with a parachute, fight some alligators.

and for future advice,

First Aid, Kaplan Q bank, Uworld (2x)...nothing else is necessary...not Goljan, not his audio(unless you listen to it at the gym or something), none of the BRS, high yield, none of that.

First Aid, Kaplan Q bank, Uworld (2x)...nothing else is necessary...not Goljan, not his audio(unless you listen to it at the gym or something), none of the BRS, high yield, none of that.

Agree in theory, except I used Goljan through M2 and never touched Kaplan. Just gotta figure out what's most efficient for you.

and for future advice,

i strongly disagree with this advice. while i think it is possible to use too many resources (no reason for any high yield books for instance, they're way too in-depth), you won't be maximizing your score by just doing FA, Kaplan, and Uworld. you'll almost certainly pass and will prob get >200 but you won't be getting the highest score you possibly can.

I used FA, Kaplan QBank, Kaplan videos, goljan audio (followed along in RR), UWorld, a few chapters of BRS path. there are a lot of good resources out there. You know your strengths and weaknesses so use the resources to strengthen your weaknesses and maximize your scores. For instance i didn't find it necessary to watch the physio or path kaplan videos but some other chapters were pure gold.

Funny how you can get so much advice on Step 1 prep from people who didn't do well or even take Step 1.

Reactions: 1 user