1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Reviewing gen-chem before o-chem

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Modnar, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Modnar

Modnar Mmm... workahol
    7+ Year Member

I'm signed up to take o-chem this fall and I haven't had gen chem in two years. My mind being the sieve that it is :) , I've forgotten most of gen-chem. What should I review this summer to be ready for o-chem?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. off2skl

off2skl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Definitely review acid/base chemistry. That comes up a lot in the different synthesis reactions in o chem.

4. rxforlife2004

rxforlife2004 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    OChem will be a totally different course from general chemistry. I believe you should review these subjects in general chemistry to help you absorb the materials better in O-Chem: acid/base, Ka, pKa, equilibrium, exothermic/endothermic, energy profile of reaction, as well as Lewis structures (bonding, valence shell electron). The hardest things in O-Chem will be mechanisms of reactions and Synthesis.

Good luck.

5. RonC

RonC Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Modnar,

Modnar, I was in your situation when I was an undergrad some years ago. I think you'll be OK if you jump into o-chem despite the hiatus. Hmmm....from what I remember about o-chem it seemed to involve a different learning style all together than gen-chem. O-chem, at least the lecture portion, involved more memorization of reactions, molecular tendencies, and molecular dimensionality. Gen-chem was more or less like taking a math class, or at least so I thought. Some concepts from gen-chem are reintroduced: e.g., understanding the shapes of molecular orbitals, free radical interactions, etc. I think these kinds of things would come back quickly if you glossed over your gen-chem book. The lab for o-chem definitely seemed more laborious and the skills you learned in your gen-chem lab and lecture will definitely apply. You definitely need to remember concepts like molarity, pH, and stoichiometry. Nonetheless, I don't think you'll have any problem. It's been more than 10 years since I've had o-chem and gen-chem, but I can't imagine that too much has changed. Forgive me if I am wrong. Hope this helps.
    :)

6. emogrrrrl

emogrrrrl I like my freedom
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think you could go into O-chem without really remembering anything from general chem and still do well. O-chem is so different from general chem as others have already stated. It's a bunch of memorization, no calculations and it's just like solving a puzzle. I think even if you went into o-chem without reviewing acids and bases you would still be ok. My o-chem book explained everything so well, in addition to having a great professor.
    My professor has made all the difference for this course.

7. TPMOH

TPMOH Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't even bother reviewing- it's not necessary. The things in O-Chem that pertain to Gen Chem will come back to you easily. When I took the 2nd qtr of chem, it was 7 yrs after taking the 1st Qtr. I got a C- in the 1st qtr, and an A in the 2nd qtr. It was about 9 yrs since I had Gen Chem when I took that 2nd qtr of O-chem. Doesn't really matter.

8. BiOGoly

BiOGoly PharmD, BCGP
    15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    A brief review of acid/base chemistry might be a good idea, but really it's no big deal. Organic is it's own thing as you will soon discover, plus most of the basic knowledge you are expected to carry over from general chemistry is reviewed in the first chapter of most organic texts. I wouldn't worry about preparing...just remember not to fall behind!

9. pharmel

pharmel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey emogrrrl, what ochem book did you use? I ask because my school is reviewing their ochem book right now.

10. emogrrrrl

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Prentice Hall publishes it, and it's Organic Chemistry by L.G. Wade Jr. the 5th edition.
    I love this book, I live by it. It's an easy read. Also the author, in the preface, says that he had a tough time with Ochem and received a D in it, so he wrote this book to make easier on everyone else.
    Hope you like it.
    Also, my general chem professor last year was one of the people who reviewed it. And he was a kick ass prof.

11. Amith

Amith Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    we use the wade book too, its awesome, the explanations are pretty clear. And they go into detail of the stuff that everyone has trouble with. I would say the most important thing to know for O chem is the ortial theory and acid/base reactions. Although they sometimes review you on these things at the beginning of Ochem 1.

12. off2skl

off2skl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

We also used Wade. Much easier to understand than I remember the older texts to be.

13. EarlyEditionDude

EarlyEditionDude Membership Revoked
    Removed

I agree with others. Use Wade! Also I would like to say that if you have nothing else to do or have some spare time during the summer, you should just go ahead and start reading your Orgo book. The sooner you are exposed to the materials, the easier it will be once you take the class and see it again!

14. imperial frog

imperial frog Pharm.D
    5+ Year Member

The first couple of chapters of a good organic text should be a mini-review of the basics you will need to know. I'd stick with that and maybe brusing up on acid/base as others have already mentioned. Organic is almost a completely different beast than general chem so don't worry too much.

15. OpticDean

OpticDean Member
    7+ Year Member

Is Wade 4th ed. still okay?

16. emogrrrrl

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    There should be no problem with the 4th...lots of kids in my class still use the 4th for money purposes, I even know someone who had the 3rd! I personally like to have the latest edition for whatever minor changes have been done.