MD Reviewing my Step 1 Score - What Can I do to match into something like plastics.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgweeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ended up with a 245 on Step 1 and currently in my second rotation. Pretty happy with the score considering the state of the world and having to reschedule numerous times - but Im not sure where I sit with the more competitive specialties. Are specialties with avg in the high 240s still within reach and if so what kind of programs can I expect to be competitive for? What should I work toward in terms of step 2, research, and volunteering? I literally know nothing about matching and with everything being virtual and unpredictable, my school hasn't had an opportunity to teach us what to expect. Like where do I go to learn about these things? Anyway, I don't know the outcome of my first clerkship yet, but most likely at least a high pass. Have research but the first paper I'm on is under review.

Please help.
URM, MS3, have a national professional society research award currently under my belt, top half in all of preclinical, interested in academic medicine and moving from a current mid tied institution to a top 20 program... IM is totally okay too if I can't match into a procedural specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a step back from the gun gun gun. It seems like you're emphasizing moving up in institutional pedigree more than figuring out what specialty is right for you. Want plastics but fine with IM? Not the way to think about things. Regardless, my general advice to people who want to match something hypercompetitive is to at least entertain the idea of a research year. Might be some added benefit with COVID if it buys time to be able to do aways again. Regardless, solid step score that shouldn't lock you out of any specialty

Reactions: 6 users
As post above me says, I also am unclear what your goals are OP? I don't know what you mean by "something like plastics." Are you in it just for the name/prestige/cache? And I'm also unsure what you mean by "IM is totally okay too if I can't match into a procedural specialty." OB/GYN is much more procedural than the vast majority of IM subspecialties and arguably less competitive (or equally as much) compared to the numbers in latest charting outcomes. More defined goals/questions are needed. And be honest. It's okay to want something for the sole fact to impress other people you don't know--just be honest with yourself. (Whether this is advisable is another issue altogether)

agree w^

congrats on step. take a breath and figure out what you actually like

Take a step back from the gun gun gun. It seems like you're emphasizing moving up in institutional pedigree more than figuring out what specialty is right for you. Want plastics but fine with IM? Not the way to think about things. Regardless, my general advice to people who want to match something hypercompetitive is to at least entertain the idea of a research year. Might be some added benefit with COVID if it buys time to be able to do aways again. Regardless, solid step score that shouldn't lock you out of any specialty

Thanks for the response! The moving up comment was more so because I'm interested in continuing research and want to be at a place where there is a bigger research footprint (facilities, subject population, reputation). And I guess what's hard to understand is where, other than the core clerkships, do you get to figure out what you like? Sorry if this is a super dumb question but the only other sources I have right now are current fourth years. I kind of like everything right now so I just want to make sure I keep doors open until I finally figure out what I want to do. If the score isn't holding me back then I think I'll just keep moving along and see if something finds me halfway. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
As post above me says, I also am unclear what your goals are OP? I don't know what you mean by "something like plastics." Are you in it just for the name/prestige/cache? And I'm also unsure what you mean by "IM is totally okay too if I can't match into a procedural specialty." OB/GYN is much more procedural than the vast majority of IM subspecialties and arguably less competitive (or equally as much) compared to the numbers in latest charting outcomes. More defined goals/questions are needed. And be honest. It's okay to want something for the sole fact to impress other people you don't know--just be honest with yourself. (Whether this is advisable is another issue altogether)

Yeah, I guess I was a little unclear. Sorry :( . What I essentially meant by "something like plastics" is a very competitive speciality. I asked the question more so to gauge what options are still viable with the score I received (thanks to the user who provide me imput on that :)) All I know are averages for the specialties but im not familiar with ranges or what each specialty likes in applicants. Anyway, as far as goals, I'm definitely not in it for the prestige solely. I would say that falls more into a perk of the programs. The only goals I am sure of right now are that I want to match into an academic program and I want to be specialized. If I were to go into IM, I would want to keep going and pursue heme-onc. But lol I don't really know if that's the way to think about things.

Yeah, I guess I was a little unclear. Sorry :( . What I essentially meant by "something like plastics" is a very competitive speciality. I asked the question more so to gauge what options are still viable with the score I received (thanks to the user who provide me imput on that :)) All I know are averages for the specialties but im not familiar with ranges or what each specialty likes in applicants. Anyway, as far as goals, I'm definitely not in it for the prestige solely. I would say that falls more into a perk of the programs. The only goals I am sure of right now are that I want to match into an academic program and I want to be specialized. If I were to go into IM, I would want to keep going and pursue heme-onc. But lol I don't really know if that's the way to think about things.
In that case, no doors are completely closed off to you at this point. 245 is on the lower end for your competitive specialties like neurosurgery, plastics, derm but still doable.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the response! The moving up comment was more so because I'm interested in continuing research and want to be at a place where there is a bigger research footprint (facilities, subject population, reputation). And I guess what's hard to understand is where, other than the core clerkships, do you get to figure out what you like? Sorry if this is a super dumb question but the only other sources I have right now are current fourth years. I kind of like everything right now so I just want to make sure I keep doors open until I finally figure out what I want to do. If the score isn't holding me back then I think I'll just keep moving along and see if something finds me halfway. Thanks!

I personally am surprised that people can decide without clinical rotations, but that's just my bias as plenty of people certainly seem to do so successfully. Anyway, looking everything is a good problem to have (I did also and for that reason clinical rotations were great). As far as getting a big name, the more you can buff your research CV the better, but I'd never consider sacrificing my field of choice for another to get a more competitive program

Reactions: 1 users
Surgery or nothing. If you’re ok with doing IM (or any medical specialty) instead of anything surgical, I would advise that you don’t pursue surgery.