jdla

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I already reviewed my review books but I wanted to do it again. I have a hard time memorizing the material. It takes me a while to review the books too. I am thinking about reviewing my notes several times instead of go over my review books again. It would be easier for me to retain the information. My notes are detail though. I understand the material. Is this a good idea? If not what should I do?

Did anyone have similar problems?

physics junkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status
Everyone approaches studying differently. Surely if you're applying to medical school you were at least somewhat competent studying during undergrad. Do what you did when you were studying for a midterm or a final. The reality is no one knows what's better for you than you do. Any advice you get is based off of vague assumptions that people are making about what types of questions you are getting wrong, why you are getting them wrong, etc.

RSAgator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status
Physics Junkie is 100% correct, you probably know best how you need to approach it. Try not to get so bogged down with the minutia either. If you're having trouble memorizing things, go for big pictures first. Learn how filtration in the kidneys works, how blood is transported in the circulatory system, an overview of the nervous system and what the sub systems do (CNS, PNS, ANS, etc) etc. Make sure you understand the big picture, and make sure you understand it cold. Now I know you're probably going to tell me "well I understand the big picture, it's just the little things I miss." Well you'd be surprised at how many questions can be answered with just a solid general knowledge about the subject. Study for the why before you study for the what. That will provide you a better framework for understanding the little things and from there you can fill stuff in. Draw connections between things you have trouble memorizing and things you know already. Make mnemonics. Look at one subject in multiple different books, draw things, search online. If you're having trouble deciding what's important, take a practice test and review it. It'll tell you pretty clearly what you don't yet know that you need to know. You can study those topics, rinse, repeat.