j49sun

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
If you've followed the sn2ed schedule, you may have noticed that he recommends reviewing the problems you did the day after instead of checking answers right away. What is the purpose of this?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2011
Status
Medical Student
because the focus for all test taking isn't on getting a specific practice question right or wrong, it's about:
1) making sure you know the concept being tested
2) helping you develop the necessary skills to get similar questions right

if you just jump to the answer key, you risk a false positive (you got the question right but not for the right reasoning) and lose the opportunity to develop the critical thinking skills. That exact question won't show up on a test so who cares if you got it right/wrong, the thought process behind your answer is more important than being correct.

Personally, I find the best strategy for post-gaming is to ignore the answer explanations completely. You should be marking questions as you go that you want to review, but you should even look at the ones you got right as well. Mark which questions you got right/wrong. DO NOT READ THE EXPLANATION. Now, go back and redo all the ones you got wrong. You don't know the answer so genuinely approach it as a fresh question. Repeat until you get it right.. or if you picked everything but the answer, convince yourself why that choice is right. For the right answers, review your thought process and try to disprove yourself. At the end, you should double-check the answer explanations just to make sure you were doing things right.

Thought process. Thought process. Thought process.

Right/Wrong is nice for figuring out if you are strong/weak in that topic but means little otherwise.

OP
J

j49sun

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
hmm I see.
So on the 2nd day, you should go over the reasons for your answers again (almost like redoing them) before checking with the solutions?

Jun 29, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I can't speak for what SN2ed himself would do (or what his schedule suggests) but that's what I would do. I'm certain something similar is advised by SN2ed, check the thread out.