Reviews/thoughts on these programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuerRod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS4 going into family med here. Making my rank list and am having a really hard time figuring out my number 1. I just wanted to ask for any information/reviews/thoughts on the following programs. I know ranking is totally up to me, but I'm really having a hard time choosing between them.

-Lancaster General Hospital
-Ventura
-U of Michigan
-Sutter Santa Rosa
-UPMC St. Margaret

I think I really keep flip flopping on the top 3, but any experiences or thoughts on the programs would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Familiar with 4/5 of those. All seemed like very strong programs, they are a bit different though. Some are heavy full spectrum (like be ready to throw yourself in a 3rd world country and run a hospital kind of full spectrum) and some are inpatient heavy university programs, so you really should be able to decide which setting you really see yourself in.

Some have pretty clearly defined tracks, others don't or have very few, but that's probably nothing new to you. They are also in completely different places, so that should be able to influence your opinion a bit. Do you want to be in a CA beach city, North vs. South CA, a medium sized city, or a small up and coming "city" adjacent to a huge metro area.

There's no trick to this. Its all about you. Decide what's most important to you, rank, certify, and then forget about it.

Last edited:
Familiar with 4/5 of those. All seemed like very strong programs, they are a bit different though. Some are heavy full spectrum (like be ready to throw yourself in a 3rd world country and run a hospital kind of full spectrum) and some are inpatient heavy university programs, so you really should be able to decide which setting you really see yourself in.

Some have pretty clearly defined tracks, others don't or have very few, but that's probably nothing new to you. They are also in completely different places, so that should be able to influence your opinion a bit. Do you want to be in a CA beach city, North vs. South CA, a medium sized city, or a small up and coming "city" adjacent to a huge metro area.

There's no trick to this. Its all about you. Decide what's most important to you, rank, certify, and then forget about it.

Hey thank you very much. My family/relationship situation is spread throughout all of the areas mentioned and that's why my search has been so broad. I'm looking for the best training for full spectrum FM but also looking to get into academics/teaching. I like the benefits of unopposed programs, but a program like Michigan has kind of the best of both worlds.

Would you be able to maybe go into more detail about some of the positives or negatives you've heard or know about the programs?

Thanks for your help