Revising and Editing Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxwell Edison

Majoring In Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at this point, many of you (like me) are no doubt in the process of scratching out the last little bits of pathos and logos meant justify our existence to adcoms on secondary applications.

When I was doing the AMCAS PS, I had a gang of readers and editors, most of whom were reading for content. I did something like 4-5 major revisions, and then sent it off with nothing even close to a misty eye. In producing this monumental and Grammy Award winning piece, I felt like I'd pretty well calibrated my writing style for the secondaries. As such, I have done little to no revision (content or otherwise) on most of the secondaries I've sent out.

I'm wondering: how much revision all of you are giving your secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested to find out too. When I was completing my secondaries I did the same thing. I had a lot of outside input on my PS, but none at all on my secondary essays.

I'd be interested to find out too. When I was completing my secondaries I did the same thing. I had a lot of outside input on my PS, but none at all on my secondary essays.

I did the same, unless it was a school I really liked or if there were a ridiclous amount of essays where I felt like my grammar, structure....etc had to be checked. I just felt like most secondaries were much more straightforward and didn't need as much scrutiny.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much at all. AdComs aren't looking for masterfully crafted pieces. They just want to know more about you.

I haven't done a lot of editing. I have sent a few of my essays to my mom (who is a grammar nazi lol) for her to just check over but she really hasn't had to change much.

It's true that I've done decidedly less revising on my secondaries than my PS, but I'll still scrap the occasional bad essay and start over or remove whole thoughts at the last second. Maybe I'm just a little neurotic.

Because of the narrower, although not necessarily that much narrower, scope of the secondary essays I feel that it is easier to write your secondaries. This is the time for expressing something to the AdCom, and that something isn't how great of a writer you are.

I have been self-editing my essays which through editing numerous PS has become much more scrutinizing. As long as you express what's needed clearly, not obviously error ridden, etc... I think you will be fine.