sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
PA
Status
Hi all- wondering about my list of schools. Pre-health advisor tells me its on the long side. (She opts for 10 max). I would prefer to stay in the Philadelphia area so I am applying to all the local schools, however, these are reach schools for me. I don't want to NOT apply, since "you never know" and I feel like the bigger list gives me a better chance. Stats are...few years out of school, getting MSPH w GPA 3.8, undergrad had a strong science program w GPA 3.3. MCATs on the low side of 26 O. Good clinical experience, good letters from top docs, decent PS, ect, ect, Can you give me feedback on my list and what I should not apply to or I should add...Thanks!

Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Hershey, U Vermont, SUNY Upstate and Downstate, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, George Washington, Temple, U Conn, and UMDNJ. The DO schools are: PCOM, UMDNJ SOM, Chicago CSOM, Univ of New England, NYCOM, and Ohio COM

dr2b - tara

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2006
Status
i would definitely keep all of the schools. 15-20 is normal. if you were willing to take the mcat again in august you might have a better shot at some of the upper end schools. good luck!

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Keep them all. Once you get an acceptance, then you can be picky about going to interviews and saving money.

About the Ads

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I like your list of schools, like the previous poster said, if you retake the MCAT you have a much better chance at some of your higher end schools. Good luck:)

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
sweet2th said:
Hi all- wondering about my list of schools. Pre-health advisor tells me its on the long side. (She opts for 10 max). I would prefer to stay in the Philadelphia area so I am applying to all the local schools, however, these are reach schools for me. I don't want to NOT apply, since "you never know" and I feel like the bigger list gives me a better chance. Stats are...few years out of school, getting MSPH w GPA 3.8, undergrad had a strong science program w GPA 3.3. MCATs on the low side of 26 O. Good clinical experience, good letters from top docs, decent PS, ect, ect, Can you give me feedback on my list and what I should not apply to or I should add...Thanks!

Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Hershey, U Vermont, SUNY Upstate and Downstate, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, George Washington, Temple, U Conn, and UMDNJ. The DO schools are: PCOM, UMDNJ SOM, Chicago CSOM, Univ of New England, NYCOM, and Ohio COM
Hmm, I am very surprised your pre-health advisor told that, as I don't think this is good advice at all. Your stats are ok, but a little on the lower end especially the MCAT score.

I would keep all of them or consider adding a few more

OP
sweet2th

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
PA
Status
i worked so hard preparing for April's exam...only averaging 26-29 on practice tests, so i expected my score. i am not convinced that i can go up anything significant in august...sounds negative but i'm only basing this on my insane dedication i put into april's test and my ave scores. decided to press foward with the current scores and hope for the best. do schools pre-screen prior to mailing secondaries??

silas2642

silas2642
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sweet2th said:
i worked so hard preparing for April's exam...only averaging 26-29 on practice tests, so i expected my score. i am not convinced that i can go up anything significant in august...sounds negative but i'm only basing this on my insane dedication i put into april's test and my ave scores. decided to press foward with the current scores and hope for the best. do schools pre-screen prior to mailing secondaries??
Some do, most don't. If I recall correctly, none of the allopathic schools on your list have pre-secondary screening. I second the opinion of sdn; apply to all these schools, your advisor doesn't know what she's talking about. I think you have a pretty good chance of getting into an osteopathic school this year; good luck!

About the Ads