reward vs punishment - any psychologist did the research before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm doing an experiment to investigate how different people would respond to reward vs punishment. as part of the assignment, i have to write a report to submit to my teacher. the problem is i dont know if there is any previous research or experiments related to mine. does anyone know?
any replies would be apreciated. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Based solely on your description, the answer is yes. At least thousands, possibly tens of thousands of experiments have been done on that topic.

If you give more detail on what exactly you looked at relating to reward and punishment people may be able to help more, but the best way to find out is just to go in PsycInfo and get to lit searching.

My friend and I are doing the experiment like this: Year 7 students have a spelling test. The day before that we come to their class and give them words that they have to study and promise to give chocolate to those who get most of the words right.
With the other class, we do the same but instead of the promising chocolate, they will get some sit-ups if they have only few words right.
Then we compare the results.

By the way, can you give me the link to the PsycInfo thing, Ollie?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure there have been thousands of similar experiments to that, what you are describing is a relatively straightforward approach to examining a very foundational concept so I apologize, but there's really no way for me to point you to specific research on this topic. Its like asking for me to point you to research on "depression" or "learning". You're dealing with topics that thousands upon thousands of people have done before, your research isn't unique.

Here is a link to info on PsycInfo
http://www.apa.org/psycinfo/

You have to go into it through your university library though, unless you want to buy access for yourself ($150 or so). Pretty much any reputable university has a subscription so you can use it for free.

Edit: Just realized that the fact that you used the word "teacher" and that you don't know about PsycInfo means you are probably still in high school. In that case, unless you are in a serious top of the line private school taking AP Psychology, its probably overkill for anything you would be doing (and no offense, but that is where you go to find serious science journals so most things would likely go over your head anyways until you have an extensive background in stats and psych). Just google Reward, Punishment, Motivation etc. Maybe hit up the library and find an intro to psych textbook, and go from there.

there's a lot of research out there regarding that topic.. try your school database on the topic... i bet you wouldnt have to go far to obtain the info you need :D