RFU Secondary Formatting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, perhaps I am a ******* for having to ask this, but is there any way at all of modifying the RFU Adobe file to be able to type right onto it?
Copying it into Word completely messes up the formatting, and they specifically state that the essay must be typed in the space provided.

Other than going through the maddening process of trying to format an essay in Word that will fit the exact dimensions of the Adobe essay field and then printing on top of it, what are my options?

Members don't see this ad.

braluk said he would make it into a pdf that we could type in when he gets home later tonight

spospo said:
braluk said he would make it into a pdf that we could type in when he gets home later tonight

YAY BRALUK!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have it done by tonight, im at work right now so i dont have access to my laptop. It will be up by tonight, or late at night sometime. Just start working on the essay now so all you have to do is just copy and paste. :)

Glad to be of service to SDN

Do you have access to a cpu with Adobe Professional? It can turn any pdf into a form field and lets you view what the finished pdf will look like as you go...

Schaden Freud said:
Okay, perhaps I am a ******* for having to ask this, but is there any way at all of modifying the RFU Adobe file to be able to type right onto it?
Copying it into Word completely messes up the formatting, and they specifically state that the essay must be typed in the space provided.

Other than going through the maddening process of trying to format an essay in Word that will fit the exact dimensions of the Adobe essay field and then printing on top of it, what are my options?

TSK said:
Do you have access to a cpu with Adobe Professional? It can turn any pdf into a form field and lets you view what the finished pdf will look like as you go...
I have it on my laptop. Only thing is, when I do turn an entire pdf into a form, it messes up ALL the formatting. So what i do is just individually insert form fields like a text box and assign it all different names. It shouldnt take too long. I'll even try to format it so that every line in the pdf on the essay part will have its own form field.

Simply put: You rule. :thumbup:

braluk said:
I have it on my laptop. Only thing is, when I do turn an entire pdf into a form, it messes up ALL the formatting. So what i do is just individually insert form fields like a text box and assign it all different names. It shouldnt take too long. I'll even try to format it so that every line in the pdf on the essay part will have its own form field.

Braluk, would you post your modified PDF in this thread, if it's not a problem and/or illegal. Otherwise we'll PM...

Thanks again! :D

Also tell us how you are doing this. I have the full version of acrobat and am unaware that it or any other program can modify a PDF created by someone else.

narc said:
Also tell us how you are doing this. I have the full version of acrobat and am unaware that it or any other program can modify a PDF created by someone else.

I also have acrobat professional--how are you doing it braluk??

jackieMD2007 said:
I also have acrobat professional--how are you doing it braluk??

tools--> advanced editing--> text field tool (and also check box tool), make sure you assign a different value name for each field because otherwise if you have two boxes with the same value, it will type the same thing across the board. Theres also a toolbar you can open up so you dont have to keep going back and forth. You'll see what i mean when you type in your name on the pdf i edited, it will automatically fill it in on every page (because i assigned it the same value) so you dont have to type in your name every time it comes up. Attached here is the PDF, I messed around with it just to make sure it was bug free. Let me know if you think the text size for the essay field is too large. It fits perfectly as it stands right now, but nevertheless, there are always people who want to type that much more :)

If you need some tips on editing text fields, let me know, ive standardized all the fields so that theyre mostly the same size so it wont look too awkward. PM me if there are any problems.

EDIT: Apparently the pdf file size is too large to upload onto SDN. Thus, I uploaded independently onto my own webspace. Please dont kill my bandwidth :)
You can access the pdf here

http://people.brandeis.edu/~braluk/rfu/2007SupplementalApplicationfinal.pdf

Good luck :)

PSS: I also centered the fields where you put in your last four digits of your social security and made the character limit only set to "1". Let me know if this poses any problems (if you have some sort of freak SS# or something)

Members don't see this ad :)
braluk said:
tools--> advanced editing--> text field tool (and also check box tool), make sure you assign a different value name for each field because otherwise if you have two boxes with the same value, it will type the same thing across the board. Theres also a toolbar you can open up so you dont have to keep going back and forth. You'll see what i mean when you type in your name on the pdf i edited, it will automatically fill it in on every page (because i assigned it the same value) so you dont have to type in your name every time it comes up. Attached here is the PDF, I messed around with it just to make sure it was bug free. Let me know if you think the text size for the essay field is too large. It fits perfectly as it stands right now, but nevertheless, there are always people who want to type that much more :)

If you need some tips on editing text fields, let me know, ive standardized all the fields so that theyre mostly the same size so it wont look too awkward. PM me if there are any problems.

EDIT: Apparently the pdf file size is too large to upload onto SDN. Thus, I uploaded independently onto my own webspace. Please dont kill my bandwidth :)
You can access the pdf here

http://people.brandeis.edu/~braluk/rfu/2007SupplementalApplicationfinal.pdf

Good luck :)

linky no worky :sleep:
File damaged or something or other

Dude (name deleted), delete your info and amcas number from the file first!
Christ

Sorry i was deleting an old version and uploaded a new one...narc can you check to see if its all ok now?

Yo your name and amcas number was on the file, check that **** first

You are good now

narc said:
Yo your name and amcas number was on the file, check that **** first
thats really strange cause i dont see anything, let me reedit it , hold on

braluk said:
thats really strange cause i dont see anything, let me reedit it , hold on

No its good now. No worries. I think I am the only one who noticed. Don't worry I deleted your info then saved it.

looks great to me, thank you so much!

For the essay how did you get the text to wrap to the next line?

That's the only difference between our two versions. (I just wasted an hour doing it).

And I used radio buttons instead of checks for the ones where you have to choose one or the other.

gapotts2003 said:
For the essay how did you get the text to wrap to the next line?

That's the only difference between our two versions. (I just wasted an hour doing it).

And I used radio buttons instead of checks for the ones where you have to choose one or the other.
when you make the field box, you choose "multiple lines" for the form field property and then just adjust the size accordingly so it will wrap in accordance with their prescribed lines.

braluk said:
when you make the field box, you choose "multiple lines" for the form field property and then just adjust the size accordingly so it will wrap in accordance with their prescribed lines.

Did you make the entire set of lines connected in some way? I did them all individually and multiple lines doesn't go to the next line.

Nevermind... I just reverse engineered yours and saw that you made it one big box. That would have been a whole lot easier than what I did...

gapotts2003 said:
Did you make the entire set of lines connected in some way? I did them all individually and multiple lines doesn't go to the next line.

Nevermind... I just reverse engineered yours and saw that you made it one big box. That would have been a whole lot easier than what I did...
Nope, i just put one huge text box over the entire essay and just formatted it accordingly. magically, it worked for me. Im looking at it now, and the options i have chekced off are "multi-line" and "scroll long text"

Braluk, you rock! You just save me a crapload of time making all those form fields. Cheers!! :luck: :luck:

braluk, everyone else said you rock, so i am going to go ahead and say: you roll

yes, i know that was a bad joke or whatever, but i am bored, you can't blame me

Sorry but this life in discovery thing is real $hitty! :laugh:

At least I got my name right.

Thanks for the appreciation guys, im glad that people are thankful :)

And yea, Jackie, ill talk about life in discovery all right, about how the four pillars of making a functional pdf, those bastards! But seriously, this tops my list of eclectic topics

thanks so much

Thank you so much for putting all of your work up for everyone to use!! I spent all afternoon freaking out about how I was going to have to go buy a real version of Adobe for this one application!! I just entered some random text into the essay area to see how many words fit (so I can use Word and then come back to it later), but on mine, every time I move down a line, the text gets a little closer to the lines on the page. By the time I get about halfway down, the lines cut straight through the text. Is anyone else having this problem, or am I doing something wrong?? :confused:
Thanks again for letting us all use your masterpiece!!

Thanks for the link!

JennieUoA said:
Thank you so much for putting all of your work up for everyone to use!! I spent all afternoon freaking out about how I was going to have to go buy a real version of Adobe for this one application!! I just entered some random text into the essay area to see how many words fit (so I can use Word and then come back to it later), but on mine, every time I move down a line, the text gets a little closer to the lines on the page. By the time I get about halfway down, the lines cut straight through the text. Is anyone else having this problem, or am I doing something wrong?? :confused:
Thanks again for letting us all use your masterpiece!!

but I'm having the same problems :confused:

hmm...i didnt have any such problems. I'll look into this tonight when i get home. I sent this to a friend and it worked fine for him; he finished his essay and it worked fine. Perhaps there might be some version issue. Let me see if I can resolve this tonight. I might have to resolve to another trick of putting in a form field every line. One of my friends also took a screen shot of the pdf, pasted into word as a full sized image, then overlaid the essay area with a text box. Ill release another version of the essay by tonight with individual lines for people where this text box doesnt work.

For those whose file does not work: If you filled in the entire pdf with the exception of the essay and do not want to fill it all out again, save it, send it to me, ill edit your essay fields (although its not really that hard to retype all the info)

In the meanwhile just work on your essays for the *drum roll* Life in Discovery. Just be wary that you might not be able to just copy and paste the entire essay into the new pdf since im making a new form field per line. I might just go ahead and respace the text box so that the lines dont run through the letters. I'll post various diffferent versions online tonight, you guys decide which one works for you the best. Sorry for the delay (too bad a long work week wont let me go home quicker and get this done for you guys sooner) :)

I'm totally using a typewriter for this essay. I find it more rewarding. And sexier...

zach1201 said:
I'm totally using a typewriter for this essay. I find it more rewarding. And sexier...

o yea?? well im gonna use crayon(s)

braluk said:
i win. blood from my fingertips, followed by a stick dipped in dog poo to sign it.

Don't let the poo come in contact with your bloody fingertips.

Braluk. I originally made original lines, but it's a little bit of a pain because it doesn't wrap to the next line. Georgetown's was the same way. Or maybe it was George Washington... Anyway, individual lines is a bad idea.

The formatting worked fine on my file I made, but you have to keep it below a certain number of characters. (Same number on each line and stop at the last line.)

Anyway... My file was a max of 2550 characters with 75 characters per line. (34 lines)

it was georgewashington,
i realized what my error was when making that text box, i didnt fill the entire box with characters and thus, didnt minutely adjust the positioning. it should take me less then a minute to fix it. I believe you can just hit tab to move to the next line, pain in the ass but still works (for your form)

Anybody know the ~ character limit that the essay space provides?

hi, so I was wondering exactly how we should enter the essay so the formatting stays within the lines, any updates?

Thanks!

Yeah, any updates? :)

630670 said:
hi, so I was wondering exactly how we should enter the essay so the formatting stays within the lines, any updates?

Thanks!

Braluk, have you had a chance yet to modify those text fields?

braluk said:
For those whose file does not work: If you filled in the entire pdf with the exception of the essay and do not want to fill it all out again, save it, send it to me, ill edit your essay fields (although its not really that hard to retype all the info)

In the meanwhile just work on your essays for the *drum roll* Life in Discovery. Just be wary that you might not be able to just copy and paste the entire essay into the new pdf since im making a new form field per line. I might just go ahead and respace the text box so that the lines dont run through the letters. I'll post various diffferent versions online tonight, you guys decide which one works for you the best. Sorry for the delay (too bad a long work week wont let me go home quicker and get this done for you guys sooner) :)

hey i actually looked it again but i really dont know what the error is? for me i filled my entire box with characters and none of the words got cut out or anything. If thats the case, im not sure what to do. I might just go ahead and make individual lines for all of them, but that means that the words wont automatically wrap around, and you'll have to hit tab every time you get to teh end fo the line. let me know what you guys want.