Rfu?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noMDPHDsucks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to MD-PhD but I'm offered MD right now at RFU. What do u guys think about RFU? Since it does not have an undergrad level, i thought it's giving more attention to the med students. Also the faculty and students seem to be really nice, and the residency match seems great. Do you guys have any opinion? It's not ranked in USnews, so i really wanna get more input about the school! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there and I thought it was awesome. Everything seems to be the way I would want a medical school to be. I would not be hesitant to go to RFU

I applied to MD-PhD but I'm offered MD right now at RFU. What do u guys think about RFU? Since it does not have an undergrad level, i thought it's giving more attention to the med students. Also the faculty and students seem to be really nice, and the residency match seems great. Do you guys have any opinion? It's not ranked in USnews, so i really wanna get more input about the school! Thanks!

i def like the school, but the question is at what other schools u've been accepted...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's one of the most expensive medical schools in the nation, but what's an extra 150 grand when you're already 200 grand in debt?

i def like the school, but the question is at what other schools u've been accepted...

No acceptance yet......all MD-PhD apps.....:eek: ........a tough road that I have taken:thumbdown:

Oh yeah, 58k per year just for tuition, and chicago subsurb living is not cheap neither...does anyone know if graduating with RFU MD would be a great achievement? (vs. U chi at P, U ill at Ur-C etc, MCW, UofM etc) It's private, not sure if that matters...it's a major decision that I have to make...sorry guys for my ignorance and thx for your input!

does anyone know if graduating with RFU MD would be a great achievement? (vs. U chi at P, U ill at Ur-C etc, MCW, UofM etc)

No...getting an MD, let alone one from RFU is not an achievement in any right. I guess I've been working these past 4 years for nothing. Maybe I shouldn't worry about match day next week either.

WTF kind of question is that? :rolleyes:

It's one of the most expensive medical schools in the nation, but what's an extra 150 grand when you're already 200 grand in debt?

BTW...we are now only the 3rd most expensive school in the Chicago area. We once were the most expensive, but have had a tuition freeze for the last three years.

maybe I'm reading this wrong, but according to this website:

http://66.99.255.20/osa/financialaid/0400_2008studentBudgets.cfm

tuition is only about $38,000 for the year at CMS. It's $57,000 overall, including 16 G's for personal living. also it's not really a suburb of Chicago at 40 miles out - cost of living isn't nearly as much as it would be in the actual city. there are many schools more expensive than this - they really emphasized that at my interview. just my 0.02.

No acceptance yet......all MD-PhD apps.....:eek: ........a tough road that I have taken:thumbdown:

im not sure what the dilemma is...
if this is ur only acceptance, take it! no hesitation!
i personally wouldnt withdraw an acceptance (any acceptance) for a better one the following cycle...

RFU might not be the best nor the most respected school, but it certainly is a good one!

used to be. now it's 23rd most expensive. if you use OOS tuition numbers for the public schools, it's 56th (right in the middle).

maybe I'm reading this wrong, but according to this website:

http://66.99.255.20/osa/financialaid/0400_2008studentBudgets.cfm

tuition is only about $38,000 for the year at CMS. It's $57,000 overall, including 16 G's for personal living. also it's not really a suburb of Chicago at 40 miles out - cost of living isn't nearly as much as it would be in the actual city. there are many schools more expensive than this - they really emphasized that at my interview. just my 0.02.

It's still pricey but not as bad as before considering the tuition freeze. The other thing you're right about is that you aren't living downtown for the first two years...lower cost of living and lower cost of expenses. Once third year hits, it's more pricey b/c of living downtown and you are also getting more money for the extra quarter that wasn't covered during years 1 and 2. I know so many worry about debt from medical school...but honestly, you're going to pay it off.

No...getting an MD, let alone one from RFU is not an achievement in any right. I guess I've been working these past 4 years for nothing. Maybe I shouldn't worry about match day next week either.

WTF kind of question is that? :rolleyes:

I didn't meant to offend you, I'm sorry! Did u enjoy RFU? Good luck with residency match!

I didn't meant to offend you, I'm sorry! Did u enjoy RFU? Good luck with residency match!

I'm not offended...too many people just continually bash the place year after year. I've completely enjoyed myself and am very proud of the education I've gotten over the last 4 years. If you have specific questions you want answered, PM me and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

I'm not offended...too many people just continually bash the place year after year. I've completely enjoyed myself and am very proud of the education I've gotten over the last 4 years. If you have specific questions you want answered, PM me and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

Why do ppl bash RFU at all? The only thing that makes me wonder is why it's not ranked in USnews, but otherwise it does sound great to me...i guess the most hesitation i'm facing is MD only at RFU versus reapplying for MD-PhD next year...but i'll probably go for MD and apply for MD-PhD at second year...

Why do ppl bash RFU at all? The only thing that makes me wonder is why it's not ranked in USnews, but otherwise it does sound great to me...i guess the most hesitation i'm facing is MD only at RFU versus reapplying for MD-PhD next year...but i'll probably go for MD and apply for MD-PhD at second year...

For years the school has been bashed due it's reputation of being lower tier. The funny thing is that the rumors that continuously are spread about the place (and I won't get into them here) are the same ones I heard when I was applying for medical school (which was 5 years ago). The other factor is the that we were placed on probabation two years ago, which has already been lifted for issues with the administration, and tuition, but nothing having to do with the educational curriculum. People continue to just pass on what they've heard and don't actually do any research into the issues beyond that.

I can understand your situation...but I'll pass this on to you. I have a friend now in the MD PHD program that actually matriculated as an MD. She all of sudden decided she wanted to go into the program and was then accepted into it (for what, I don't remember). So that's a possibility for you if you so decide. Good luck.

The bashing really needs to stop--it's pretty unfounded.

I chose to attend UIC over RFU, but only for financial reasons. I enjoyed my time at RFU, and was fully prepared to attend happily. That being said, there was a time I was going back-and-forth over whether or not I should go--but that was just ridiculous. Posters such as Dr. Will put me in my place and made me see beyond the psychotic pre-med "i need a ranked school" bs.

They're good people up at RFU. Good luck!

The bashing really needs to stop--it's pretty unfounded.

They're good people up at RFU. Good luck!

I def. agree. The RFU folks were really nice at the interview, and when i sent emails to ask the students and faculty questions, they were so responsive (unlike many other schools). They were really willing to help and you could see that they enjoyed the school. Plus they are putting a lot of $$$ into the grad school....duh, I want MD-PhD so bad, but it seems that from what you guys say, going to med school is a good choice at RFU and I'll probably reapply to MD-PhD after M1.............:luck:

I keep looking for a thread of accepted CMS students but to no avail. Such as Chicago Medical School - Class of 2011 or some junk.

Anyone seen one or feel like creating one?

I keep looking for a thread of accepted CMS students but to no avail. Such as Chicago Medical School - Class of 2011 or some junk.

Anyone seen one or feel like creating one?

i would... but, i havent been accepted.

First get in to an MD program and secure your spot.

You will have many opportunities to get the PHd later

1. At the same medical school , as a late entry later in the MD program.
2. As a clinical scientist as part of many residencies.
3. After residency (if you are an idealistic nonmaterialist type).

Do not ever give up an acceptance for the possibility of an acceptance in the next cycle. That is sheer lunacy.