Rh Factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nvm

Members don't see this ad.

The Fetus is Rh+

The Mother is Rh-

It was the dad you forgot about.

Yeah I missed that one to.

WONT MISS IT ON THE REAL DEAL THOUGH SO TAKE THAT MCAT!

Added Information-
Blood has two factors
Rh factor and I factor

I codes for no blood antigens
Rh- codes for no Rh antigens

O(ii) negative is the universal donor.

AB positive is the universal recipient.

The Fetus is Rh+

The Mother is Rh-

It was the dad you forgot about.

Yeah I missed that one to.

WONT MISS IT ON THE REAL DEAL THOUGH SO TAKE THAT MCAT!

Added Information-
Blood has two factors
Rh factor and I factor

I codes for no blood antigens
Rh- codes for no Rh antigens

O(ii) negative is the universal donor.

AB positive is the universal recipient.

You're awesome :) Also, the Rh- doesn't react against the Rh+ antigen until a second exposure, right?

lol, you will laugh to when you think about this.

So with normal humoral ("dealing with blood plasma) responses we will make antibodys to the antigen which mark the target cells displaying that antigen for destruction via macrophages and B cells. The B cells divide to form memory and plasma cells.

The memory B cells are just chilling for a secondary infection later on in life.

The Rh+ antigen is not due to an infection lol, its due to pregnancy! Well it could be due to accidentally getting someones else blood as well.

If you build an immunity the secondary response due to the antigen reappearing would be quicker since you have built up all those B cells to recognize it. Primary response is always slower then secondary.

You will have a immune response on first exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, you will laugh to when you think about this.

So with normal humoral ("dealing with blood plasma) responses we will make antibodys to the antigen which mark the target cells displaying that antigen for destruction via macrophages and B cells. The B cells divide to form memory and plasma cells.

The memory B cells are just chilling for a secondary infection later on in life.

The Rh+ antigen is not due to an infection lol, its due to pregnancy! Well it could be due to accidentally getting someones else blood as well.

If you build an immunity the secondary response due to the antigen reappearing would be quicker since you have built up all those B cells to recognize it. Primary response is always slower then secondary.

You will have a immune response on first exposure.

Really? I thought it was the second time...or at least that's what Kaplan says:

Rh+ blood has the antigen and Rh- blood does not. Rh- blood produces anti-Rh antibodies only upon a second exposure to the Rh antigen. Rh+ blood does not produce antibodies against Rh- RBCs.

Wait, so does this mean that there will be an immune response the first time, but actual antibody production will take place the second time? But what about the plasma cells in the first immune response-won't they produce anti-Rh antibodies as well?

Really? I thought it was the second time...or at least that's what Kaplan says:

Rh+ blood has the antigen and Rh- blood does not. Rh- blood produces anti-Rh antibodies only upon a second exposure to the Rh antigen. Rh+ blood does not produce antibodies against Rh- RBCs.

Wait, so does this mean that there will be an immune response the first time, but actual antibody production will take place the second time? But what about the plasma cells in the first immune response-won't they produce anti-Rh antibodies as well?

Found this online.

The Rh factor

1. [*]Among the most important antigens of RBC's
    [*]Cause of Rh disease in humans.

1. [*]Occurs when Rh-negative woman has (first) Rh—positive child.
      [*]During birth, fetal red blood cells enter mother's bloodstream and stimulate antibody production.
      [*]In subsequent pregnancies, Rh antibodies may be transferred to fetus and destroy RBC's.

[*]Rh disease prevented by injecting mother with antibodies against Rh factor after birth of first child.
So what this is saying is that Rh+ Antibody production will occur the first time around but it will not kill the fetus. In secondary pregnancies the antibodies will attack the fetus.

So Antibody production is stimulated the first time.
Antibodies will only kill fetus Rh+ RBC's in secondary infections.

Found this online.

So what this is saying is that Rh+ Antibody production will occur the first time around but it will not kill the fetus. In secondary pregnancies the antibodies will attack the fetus.

So Antibody production is stimulated the first time.
Antibodies will only kill fetus Rh+ RBC's in secondary infections.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

Also:

"During birth, fetal red blood cells enter mother's bloodstream and stimulate antibody production."

This is only during birth, right, since fetal and maternal circulatory systems don't mix content directly while the fetus is growing/still in the womb?

Last edited:
No problem, keep making topics dude. Answering questions or trying to find out the answers is a great study tool I think haha.

No problem, keep making topics dude. Answering questions or trying to find out the answers is a great study tool I think haha.

Haha, I know right! This sub-forum is a big help. Check out the follow-up question two posts above this :)

Also:

"During birth, fetal red blood cells enter mother's bloodstream and stimulate antibody production."

This is only during birth, right, since fetal and maternal circulatory systems don't mix content directly while the fetus is growing/still in the womb?
Correct--during "parturition" as they call it

Awesome, thanks a bunch!
Why does injecting the mother w/ antibodies after the first preg help? She already has a few antibodies produced from the first pregnancy...I dont see how injecting her w/ MORE protects the second Rh+ fetus

Why does injecting the mother w/ antibodies after the first preg help? She already has a few antibodies produced from the first pregnancy...I dont see how injecting her w/ MORE protects the second Rh+ fetus

The antibodies you give the mom are Anti-Rh antibodies. So they bind the fetal RBCs before mom has a chance to "see" them & make her own antibodies.