Rheum job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatsyourname

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, curious in Rheum job outlook? How's the Market this year? Avg pay offers etc

What are the pros and cons of rheumakogy?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, curious in Rheum job outlook? How's the Market this year? Avg pay offers etc

What are the pros and cons of rheumakogy?

Dude. Stop it.

Choosing a specialty based on future pay is a losers game (unless you're deciding between Derm, Rad Onc and Plastics...and you're clearly not). Decide what you want to be when you grow up and go for it.

Dude. Stop it.

Choosing a specialty based on future pay is a losers game (unless you're deciding between Derm, Rad Onc and Plastics...and you're clearly not). Decide what you want to be when you grow up and go for it.

Not when people owe 400k+....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not choosing what Id like to go into based off of forums, I'm trying to gauge the business aspect of medicine out of sheer intrigue. With every study and article screaming shortage, it's interesting to note actual residents perspectives. Consider all this a thought experiment, and I'm honestly learning alot

PS. I have no interest in cardio, pulm/cc, rheum or sleep...but I'm very interested in job markets

I'm not choosing what Id like to go into based off of forums, I'm trying to gauge the business aspect of medicine out of sheer intrigue. With every study and article screaming shortage, it's interesting to note actual residents perspectives. Consider all this a thought experiment, and I'm honestly learning alot

PS. I have no interest in cardio, pulm/cc, rheum or sleep...but I'm very interested in job markets

If you are not interested in Rheum, then why post in a rheum forum asking about the job market? It just doesn't make sense. I'm interested in pulm/cc and obviously will be interested in the job market in that field in a few years (as long as I match into a fellowship this year). Still, even with my interest in pulm/cc, I couldn't care less about the job market in cards, or rheum or GI.

Also, if you're not interested in the field, why are you asking about the pros/cons of rheum?

I agree with gutonc, you shouldn't and no one should pick their medical specialty based on the salary that they may make one day. It's my opinion that if you choose a specialty based on whichever one makes more money, you will be one frustrated and depressed person with horrible job satisfaction. We all want to make money and pay off our loans, but I hope that most of us also want to enjoy our career and going to work most days. For example, there are some specialties that I wouldn't do even if they payed me a million dollars/year. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I look at my life if I was in one of those specialties and would hate every minute of every day at work. That's not the way you want to live your life and not the way that you want to have your career end up.

Right now, I make a good living working as a hospitalist while I apply for a fellowship. I don't love it, but it's a job and on occasion, I actually enjoy my job. If I pick up an extra shift and have less time spent with the people that I love, I don't exactly feel better that I am making more money, because in the end money isn't everything. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
If you are not interested in Rheum, then why post in a rheum forum asking about the job market? It just doesn't make sense. I'm interested in pulm/cc and obviously will be interested in the job market in that field in a few years (as long as I match into a fellowship this year). Still, even with my interest in pulm/cc, I couldn't care less about the job market in cards, or rheum or GI.

Also, if you're not interested in the field, why are you asking about the pros/cons of rheum?

I agree with gutonc, you shouldn't and no one should pick their medical specialty based on the salary that they may make one day. It's my opinion that if you choose a specialty based on whichever one makes more money, you will be one frustrated and depressed person with horrible job satisfaction. We all want to make money and pay off our loans, but I hope that most of us also want to enjoy our career and going to work most days. For example, there are some specialties that I wouldn't do even if they payed me a million dollars/year. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I look at my life if I was in one of those specialties and would hate every minute of every day at work. That's not the way you want to live your life and not the way that you want to you career end up.

Right now, I make a good living working as a hospitalist while I apply for a fellowship. I don't love it, but it's a job and on occasion, I actually enjoy my job. If I pick up an extra shift and have less time spent with the people that I love, I don't exactly feel better that I am making more money, because in the end money isn't everything. Just my 2 cents.

Excellent post!

I'm asking because I'm interested in the business side of medicine and the future of different fields based on the change in patient and physician demographics, and insurance reimbursements. I love how a simple question has people giving me life advice I wasn't looking for and didn't answer my original question at all. If you guys are not interested in Rheum why are you replying to my post?