Rheumatology Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know details about u of washington or colorado i.e. how many they interview per spot?

Members don't see this ad.

5 people applying from my program....

finally heard from a philly program today- invite from temple... no word from thomas jefferson though. anyone hear from baylor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor Houston? I did not apply there but have a friend who has an interview there coming up. Colorado interviewed 10 last year.

Heard from Temple today. Apparently Jefferson sent out invites about a week back, I wasn't on the list, but then again they have a huge rush with internal candidates.

3 people from my program are applying. I just got back from a couple of interviews, and they said they received 160-200 apps a piece! I don't think it's worth worrying about too much - it's probably the same 200 people applying everywhere :). Congrats on the interviews!

This week has been so slow!! Do you guys think all the "first rounds" of invites are out already?

Also, 3 people from my program are applying as well, but most will probably stay local (not top programs).

yeah it's been really slow for the past 2 weeks for me....got ucsf rejection. just have 4 interviews scheduled at this point...not sure how many i'll have to go on to match somewhere....anywhere...geez all my friends think that rheum is sooo easy to match...even my PD told me not to worry! there are just 2 of us from my program applying to rheum this yr.

my 1st interview is next week... for those of you who have already interviewed how is it different from IM interviews?

thanks and gl to all...i feel that the first wave of interviews are probably underway, and programs are trying to gauge who actually accepts the interview before calling more ppl...hope things start picking up soon...

:luck::luck::luck:

r

I know! I things are getting more competative. I have actually heard that recently from several non-rheum collegues so word is getting around. I think you probably need a spectrum of interviews with some "safety's" in order to match well. At least we are applying at a time that it is not yet as competative as cards/GI b/c I think it will continue to increase in competativeness over the coming years. Good luck all!

I don't think interviews are that different from medicine interviews. The main question I got was "why do you want to do rheum?" which most of us probably answered in our personal statments so it wasn't bad. Pretty relaxed, although many more interviews in one day are scheduled 8-10 for most places I have been. They really try and sell their programs to you.

I had my first interview a few weeks ago... I was asked a lot about my research, and then how I became interested in Rheum since my research is so varied. Also, the generic why we want you questions. I think the only difference between this interview and residency is that you interview with the entire department

How's everyone interviews going? Finally heard back from the DC programs. Anyone heard anything from any of the Ohio programs?

any more info on recent interviews? had my first one (my own program), 2nd one is coming up this friday!

heard nothing for a while now....not sure if the programs just don't bother to send out rejections as some of you have already heard from the places i'm still waiting on (mgh, ucsd, PA programs )...

Hi Rheumy - sorry about ucsf :( Things have been really slow...I spoke with NW and they haven't sent out any invites yet, so I am hoping it is the same for some of the other places (wash u, ucla, etc). I think some programs also won't reject you if you are on their alternate list. Don't worry yet..I think we still have at least a couple more weeks until all of the "first rounds" are out.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah the waiting blows...i'm flying to chicago in 2 weeks and am hoping to hear either way from NW...if i am granted an interview it would suck to have to fly back, again...i also called and they were still reviewing...i called ucsd and they are have already sent out the invites (10 ppl), so not hearing from them means no interview essentially...havent heard from cornell/columbia...

Heard from Mayo and Univ of Missouri today. Nothing from PA programs yet.

Can candidates without Rheum research expect to get a fellowship?

I hope so!! Did anyone else apply to wash u?

i didnt apply to wash u

heard from columbia yesterday (looks like they are interviewing around 30 w/ 5 interview dates qfriday starting march).

good luck to all.

Heard from SUNY downstate today... my first anything in 2 weeks now

Invite from UPMC today, and rejection from HSS by snail mail today!

Has anyone got interviews this week? Its been a very quiet week...

Has anyone got interviews this week? Its been a very quiet week...

things do seem really really slow this week, I have heard back from USF monday o/w nothing...I guess I can assume no response means no interview? are any programs still reviewing?

also is NW undergoing some major changes does anyone know if this is usually for them to take this long? or have invites already been sent out to anyone?

I called NW a couple of weeks ago and they said they wouldn't start sending out invites for 2-3 weeks. So it should be coming up soon. They are super late though and it is driving me bananas.

Has anyone heard from UCLA?

Also, rheumatic, what is USF?

from what I heard about NW... the program director was having some health problems- that's what is taking them so long

rejection from HSS-Cornell...

interview at yale

Congrats on the yale interview! Nothing new (good or bad) for me in weeks... I bet things start picking up as interviews get going :)

Apparently University of Iowa has filled up their 2 positions outside the match with internal candidates....slowest week ever

Hi, I got an email from Dr. Pierangelli for research/clinical fellowship opportunity. She works at UTMB and is doing research on APS. If you are interested , please contact her. The following is her email.

"I have an opening for a position for a postdoct fellow. It is a training grant. It could be cllinical and/or research in Rheumatology. It requires permanent resident status or citizenship. If you know of anyone interested let me know. It would be in collaboration with Baylor/UT Houston. It may pay for master's degree education for the candidate. "

contact information: [email protected]

has anyone heard from ucla, ucla-olive view, or stanford?

not sure if i can go to the yale interview as they only have 2 interview dates and i'm on-call for both...

-thanks!

I have not heard a peep from UCLA. Have they sent out invites already? I did not apply to the other 2 on your list so I am not sure about them.

i'm not sure if they have sent out invites...i tried calling ucla about a week ago to no avail...i guess i'll try again tomorrow.

Invitation from UMass today.... :)

Did Umass send the invite to all applicants in one email or it is that you got it alone. Thx

No new interviews last week or this week so far? Is it all over????

I got it alone hitendrab, directly from the fellowship coordinator...Considering that I submitted really late. It aint over till its over. Most programs are still reviewing... and inviting.

Thx. Does anyone have an idea how is Univ of Arkansas prog? Has anyone got interview?

is anybody on this forum on either H 1 or J1 visa ?? i have only one interview till date ...
any response will be appreciated .

Interview from Wayne state today. None from any of the NY or PA programs so far.

Rheumat congrats on the interview. When is your interview in Wayne State?, my interview is 3/24/08. Has anyone heard from University of Florida?

not on H1 or J1 either....has anyone heard of phone interviews...one program is calling today for a phone interiew? anyone else getting interviews via phone???

still waiting to hear back from the smaller programs (univ of arkansas, cincinati, loyola) most of the bigger programs have already responded except NW, GW, Wash U)

:luck::luck::luck:

Not heard of phone interviews before. Invite to Univeristy of Puerto Rico today. Only one spot to fill. Havent heard anything else. Still hopefull. GL:luck:

To anyone who got invites from Rush University in Chicago, did they call you personally for an invite? They don't email? They just left me a message to call back for confirmation of an interview when I was in the middle of my interview in another program!

I havent heard from a single NY program. Wonder whether they filled their spots with internal candidates.

I was interviewed in NYU a couple of weeks ago. I dont think they filled their spots with internal candidates. There is still time, I hope!!!!!!

Anybody interviewing at Cleveland clinic on March 3?

Lots of news this week!
First UCSF said that they sent me an invite 2 weeks ago which I never received
Then HSS called me and told me to ignore the rejection letter that they sent via snail mail and that I do have an interview (interesting?)