Rheumatology Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes I applied to U of MD, my application has been downloaded, no news yet, but if I were you I would just call them or email them.

Just got interview at Georgetown:D
good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

My stats:

US Grad
Large, university based IM program
Average steps
Some rheum research

Interviews: UT Houston, UT Southwestern, Baylor, UCSD, BU

Rejections: UCSF

Still waiting to hear from 14 places. Anyone hear from any of the Los Angeles area programs, USC, UCLA, Cedar-Sinai?

Good luck to everyone! :)

interview U.vermont, loyola
rejection JHU, Emory

good luck for all of you !:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi new to thread,

Stats:
DO Grad
University affiliated program
Above average step scores
moderate rheum bench research

Applied to 28 programs on the east coast
Interviews at:
Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Dartmouth, and Roger Williams

Rejections at Columbia (no surprise)

Has anyone heard anything about Albert Einstein? I heard a rumor that they are filling from within. Supposedly they have a resident who matched in GI or Cards, is pregnant or had a baby, and now switched to Rheumatology. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this. How often does this happen where programs fill from within which could be a construed as a "violation" of the match? Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about Albert Einstein? I heard a rumor that they are filling from within. Supposedly they have a resident who matched in GI or Cards, is pregnant or had a baby, and now switched to Rheumatology. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this. How often does this happen where programs fill from within which could be a construed as a "violation" of the match? Thanks!

I didn't apply there, but it affected a friend of mine who is applying as well. I just thought it was generally unfair. Anyway, got 2 more interviews bringing my total to 7. Still no rejections, but I assume they are coming. New interviews:

University of Nebraska Medical Center
SUNY Upstate (Syracuse)

has anyone heard from Univ of Illinois Chicago, Rush, Loyola, HSS/Cornell, or USC?

more invites - UCSF, UCLA, NYU, Columbia

Last edited:
has anyone heard from Univ of Illinois Chicago, Rush, Loyola, HSS/Cornell, or USC?

more invites - UCSF, UCLA, NYU, Columbia

Rheum2010

First of all congrats on an impressive list of invitations!

I received a rejection from U. Chicago weeks ago. I was invited to interview at Rush and a friend has an interview at Loyola. I didn't apply to HSS, or USC.

I haven't seen you post your stats, but i would guess that Rush and Loyola didn't invite you because they think you are a little over qualified for their , less competitive, programs. Good luck!!!

Anyone heard anything from SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn), Wake Forest, or UPMC (Pittsburg)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Anyone heard anything from SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn), Wake Forest, or UPMC (Pittsburg)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Yes, I did hear from Downstate a few days ago.
How many interviews have you had so far?

Hey everyone, new to the group. Applied to 22 programs in the northeast. Have six interviews! :) No rejections so far, just lots of silence. a few still haven't downloaded... Still hoping to hear from HSS. Does anyone know if they sent out their first rounds?

Good luck with the interview season.:xf:

Does anyone know the etiquette about making phone calls to check on status? I remember a number of programs during the residency app cycle frowned upon the calling. When should I consider calling some of these programs? Also anyone hear about how many interviews you should go on each year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey predtaper, I emailed programs last year, around last week of Feb. Invites should still come in at this time. I prefer emailing the programs rather than calling them. They are just as busy as you are.

This might seem like a long shot, but I need to correspond with a current Rheumatology Fellow in the Boston area (Massgen, BU, BW, Tufts) regarding the monthly Intercity Grand Rounds. I am an incoming Rheum fellow this July of 2009. If anyone knows someone in the program, please message me personally. Thank you.

And goodluck to all of you for this year's match!

coolMD

Received an e-mail that USF is still reviewing my application. Did everyone who applied there get this?? I wish it were an invitation but it's not a rejection.

This threat has been real quiet. Has anyone gotten any new invitations or rejections lately??

Good luck to all!!!

Anyone interviewing/interviewed at the NIH? Is it considered a decent program?

Received an e-mail that USF is still reviewing my application. Did everyone who applied there get this?? I wish it were an invitation but it's not a rejection.

This threat has been real quiet. Has anyone gotten any new invitations or rejections lately??

Good luck to all!!!

Recently U of Michigan, U of Minnesota and UNC.
11 total interviews, 1 rejection and declined SLU and Geisinger.

To anyone who interviewed at NYU or BU - do they pay for the hotel? If so - is it only for 1 night stay?
Thanks a lot.

A new interview from USF.
Did anyone hear from U.Washington at St.Louis?
I also did not hear from UPMC
Good luck

A new interview from USF.
Did anyone hear from U.Washington at St.Louis?
I also did not hear from UPMC
Good luck

Vasculitisfan, congrats on the USF interview. I did not apply to U.Washington. I read a thread from last year and UPMC sent invited in mid-feb. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you ! Would be great to hear from UPMC.
any one heard from UH at Cleveland?

• yes I heard from cleveland clinic and st. louis a month ago.
  • haven't heard from u washington yet
  • didn't apply to UH
Has anyone heard from USC, cedars sinai, uc irvine, uc davis, UCLA?

Thank you for your response, I actually got an interview at UC Irvine one week ago.

Are we supposed to send hand written thank you cards???

Anyone got rejections from HSS?

• yes I heard from cleveland clinic and st. louis a month ago.
  • haven't heard from u washington yet
  • didn't apply to UH
Has anyone heard from USC, cedars sinai, uc irvine, uc davis, UCLA?

rheum fever- I received a rejection form UC Irvine today

Are we supposed to send hand written thank you cards???

Anyone got rejections from HSS?

Rheum2010- I didn't apply to HSS

Anyone else get and responses lately??

Good luck to all!!!!

Thank you ! Would be great to hear from UPMC.
any one heard from UH at Cleveland?

Interview from UPMC yesterday. Still haven't heard from Case in Cleveland though.

are we still getting interviews?

i really haven't heard since the end of january.... anyone else?

if we don't hear from programs, should we just think we probably won't get an invite from them?

any thoughts?

Got UMDNJ and U. South Carolina a few days ago.

My understanding is that Case (UH Cleveland) tends to send invits a little late (may be even in April !)

Anyone else beside Bonadoc received UPMC invite ?

Thx

This thread is awfully quiet. Has anyone received any invites lately? I thought there would be more on Feb., but nothing. Did receive a rejection this week from OSU (via snail mail).

This thread is awfully quiet. Has anyone received any invites lately? I thought there would be more on Feb., but nothing. Did receive a rejection this week from OSU (via snail mail).

I got Medical U of S. Carolina, but had to decline as limited dates for interviews and I already had some that day. I also received an interview to Case, but may not be able to make that one due to other interviews. I don't know if I should be worried. I am planning on going to 11 interviews at this point and have turned down 3 thus far. How many interviews are other people going on?

I got Medical U of S. Carolina, but had to decline as limited dates for interviews and I already had some that day. I also received an interview to Case, but may not be able to make that one due to other interviews. I don't know if I should be worried. I am planning on going to 11 interviews at this point and have turned down 3 thus far. How many interviews are other people going on?

Accepted interview at Case. Just got an interview at U of Maryland as well. Anyone else out there?

Accepted interview at Case. Just got an interview at U of Maryland as well. Anyone else out there?

Dear Bonadac,

I have applied to 105 programs and I got only 1 interview call. Could you please guide me how should I proceed from here?

Dear Bonadac,

I have applied to 105 programs and I got only 1 interview call. Could you please guide me how should I proceed from here?

Well, I would rank that program number one. In all seriousness though I have no idea. I really didn't know what programs would think of my application. I am a Chief Resident, but have very little to no research. I do have fantastic letters though from what I hear. I have heard they are the best some programs have ever seen so I am assuming that my title and letters got me all of the interviews. I wish I had more answers for you, but I truly don't know on where you should proceed. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I wish you all the luck in the match though.

Vasculitisfan, congrats on the USF interview. I did not apply to U.Washington. I read a thread from last year and UPMC sent invited in mid-feb. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Has anyone been receiving more interviews? I haven't heard anything in three weeks!!!!

There are tons of programs that have simply not replied to me, but I'm guessing a lot of those are not interested but have already made interview cuts......

Do you know when we submit our rank list?
when programs put in their rank list?

Are programs still sending invites? it helps to know when people are getting invotes cuz even if the program doesn't invite (like Case) you can know that you weren't invited and then focus on the other interviews or whatever....

Good luck everyone! :xf:

Has anyone been receiving more interviews? I haven't heard anything in three weeks!!!!

There are tons of programs that have simply not replied to me, but I'm guessing a lot of those are not interested but have already made interview cuts......

Do you know when we submit our rank list?
when programs put in their rank list?

Are programs still sending invites? it helps to know when people are getting invotes cuz even if the program doesn't invite (like Case) you can know that you weren't invited and then focus on the other interviews or whatever....

Good luck everyone! :xf:

I have received interview requests from Case, U of Pittsburgh and U of Maryland in the last 3 weeks. Maryland happened last Wednesday to be exact.
You can start filling in your rank list after 4/8/09. I am not sure of when they have to be certified, but I think that it is sometime in early June.

I applied to 30 programs, heard from 19. I have had 5 interviews so far and have 8 more scheduled at this point. I turned down 4 interviews and have had 2 rejections. I haven't heard anything from the other 11, but I pretty sure they aren't going to contact me. Hope this helps!
Good luck to everyone!

Could u please give some tips for the interview?

I have received interview requests from Case, U of Pittsburgh and U of Maryland in the last 3 weeks. Maryland happened last Wednesday to be exact.
You can start filling in your rank list after 4/8/09. I am not sure of when they have to be certified, but I think that it is sometime in early June.

I applied to 30 programs, heard from 19. I have had 5 interviews so far and have 8 more scheduled at this point. I turned down 4 interviews and have had 2 rejections. I haven't heard anything from the other 11, but I pretty sure they aren't going to contact me. Hope this helps!
Good luck to everyone!

Hi all, Its been a while since I have written I have been busy interviewing. I have two more interviews to go on, for a total of 14. and I declined 2. I like bonadoc dont expect to hear from any others, but I recieved my last about 3 weeks ago. Rank list open April9, and close June 3rd (Ithink). I am on east coast but loved UCSF, what programs did you guys love best
good luck to all!

wow it is really quiet! does anyone want to discuss their favorites and least favs. Has everyone done their list.... i have not yet ...trying to decide order... any thoughts out there

wow it is really quiet! does anyone want to discuss their favorites and least favs. Has everyone done their list.... i have not yet ...trying to decide order... any thoughts out there

It has been really quiet. I have gone on 11 interviews and just cancelled my 12th. Not sure if I will go on the other one that I have scheduled. I am just deciding between my top 2 to decide which one I want to rank #1. I don't know if anyone else has finished their lists yet, but I am almost done. Good luck to everyone this year. Make sure to put on here where you matched after June 17th!

Anyone apply to U of Rochester? Wondering what thoughts are of that program? Also wondering what people think of allergy immunology/rheum fellowship programs? Thanks.

Anyone apply to U of Rochester? Wondering what thoughts are of that program? Also wondering what people think of allergy immunology/rheum fellowship programs? Thanks.

I interviewed there, and my interview day went well. I thought it was okay looking back. At the time it was the best program I had been to, but I thought that they really valued the basic sciences part of Rheum over any clinical aspects. They truly undervalued the clinical members of the faculty in my opinion and were really enamored by other people interviewing who were basic science people. The purely clinical faculty were almost afterthoughts on the interview day. There are much better programs out there. They are 5th or 6th on my list at present. I think that if you want to go there you had best present them with a basic sciences agenda.

When is the rank order deadline? Is it May 20th?

Finalized my list this week. Anyone else out there annoyed/nervous/anxious that we have to wait more than a month to find out where we are going???

I'm applying to rheum this year, what program is better of these ones? Indiana Univ VS Oklahoma University???? I got other interviews but I have this doubt.

Indiana VS Oklahoma Univ????

Thanks for any input guys.:thumbup:

thanks bonadoc, but then what is on May 20th? - It says it is the "quota change deadline" -
I am not ready with my list - and would love more time than next week!