Rheumatology job contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rheumie1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a job contract that I need help with understanding as it's my first one.

Location- major city in Central Texas
Setting- teaching hospital, 100% outpatient, a/w a university.
Base salary - 225k guaranteed, Physicians generating wRVUs at or above the 65th %ile of MGMA for 2 successive years in a row will be given a salary adjustment commensurate with MGMA
Monthly Productivity incentive- monthly rvu targets ranging between 450-480 with annual target of almost 5700. Imaging, labs etc not included. Bonus is 20$per RVU
Retirement plan -457 plan, 100% match

The RVU costs does not sound right to me and I need some perspective. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the job offer!
A few thoughts: that is a pretty impressive number of RVUs, particularly in your first few years. How many patients are you planning to see each day?
Assuming you can reach your monthly and annual RVU target, I think the per RVU rate is low. I would try to negotiate and see if they can do better than that.
The base sounds good, particularly for a teaching hospital, but I'm also not familiar with what the norm is in Texas.
100% match for 457 is very very good but did they say also give you a max, such as 100% up to $5000?

Members don't see this ad :)
The usual number of patients is around 15-18 is what they told me but I'm not sure how many patients I will be seeing from day 1. So the bonus rvu can be negotiated you think? Also the target of 5700, is that reasonable?

Regarding the 457, "You contribute 6.75% of your gross pay and *** will match your contribution 100%. You are even able to specify how you wish to allocate the funds. Please refer to the attachment for more details. For 2019, you can contribute up to $19,000 towards the voluntary 457 plan. There is a secondary plan you can elect to participate in which allows you to contribute an addition of 26k per year" this is what the Email says

My “hot take” thoughts - overall, sounds like classic “fakedemia”.

- Why take one of these jobs associated with a teaching hospital/university? Are you going to be teaching or doing research etc? If not, then just be aware that you’re going to be doing community hospital/PP work volumes for a fraction of the pay, with no other advantages.

- Base salary is pretty low. Could make $250-300k base in many other jobs out there right now.

- 5700 RVU annual threshold is pretty high

- Where’s the sign on bonus? MGMA right now is $15k, I believe

- No retention bonuses?

- No loan repayment?

Would keep looking. You can do a LOT better than this out there right now, believe me. (For the record, my current PP deal is $300k guaranteed year one, you can bonus right out of the gate, $25k signon, $50k loan repayment, and you keep ancellaries.)

Reactions: 2 users
I have no particular interest in teaching jobs, only requirement is a job around a particular major city in Texas due to family ties. Have signed up in multiple recruiter sites and so far have seen no private job opportunities. Any tips on how to find out the local private groups? Does Google alone help?

I'm still a current fellow so they are giving a stipend of 2000$ every month and eligible for loan repayment of 125k over 5 yrs.

I'm not sure if I can differentiate academic jobs vs working for a multispeciality hospital which has residents rotating.

I assumed an academic position means working as a full time professor with fellows and residents working with you. Looks like that's not the only scenario? So if a private clinic group is associated with a teaching university, that's an academic position too?

Not that I got an offer from this place, but is Baylow Scott and White in Texas one of the fakedemia or is that a multispeciality hospital where the salaries would be better?

I have no particular interest in teaching jobs, only requirement is a job around a particular major city in Texas due to family ties. Have signed up in multiple recruiter sites and so far have seen no private job opportunities. Any tips on how to find out the local private groups? Does Google alone help?

Ah, ok so this makes a lot more sense now. It’s a much better deal with the stipend and repayment taken into account. Still - for PP opportunities, you can try cold calling any rheumatology groups near that area to see if they need another doc. Would also consider cold calling other hospitals to see if they may be interested-rheums are in high demand right now and a lot of health systems are open to talking to one even if they’re not “officially” recruiting one at the moment. Another trick - try talking to drug reps. Several leads on my very first job search out of fellowship came from one particularly helpful drug rep.

I'm not sure if I can differentiate academic jobs vs working for a multispeciality hospital which has residents rotating.

I assumed an academic position means working as a full time professor with fellows and residents working with you. Looks like that's not the only scenario? So if a private clinic group is associated with a teaching university, that's an academic position too?

Not that I got an offer from this place, but is Baylow Scott and White in Texas one of the fakedemia or is that a multispeciality hospital where the salaries would be better?

I’m familiar with Baylor S/W.

So academia vs hospital based community medicine basically exists on a spectrum. On one end, you have hardcore tenure track research heavy attending jobs at big research institutions. These jobs often involve the most work for the least pay, oddly enough. On the other end, you have community hospital jobs that involve no research, trainees, etc. My experience is that these are better jobs with better pay and work life balance. PP is another world altogether - my current job is 100% outpatient and I’m not affiliated with any hospital, but you can also find PP rheumatologists occasionally rounding at big institutions and even taking on some academic duties (there’s a big name research guy at UTSW who is kind of like this, I’m forgetting his name now). PP usually involves a lot more autonomy, which I personally really like.

The problem with “fakedemia” is that it tends to give less of the good stuff discussed above and more of the bad stuff, with less pay. But every job is different, and you also have to figure out your priorities etc. Some folks really enjoy teaching and research and are willing to take a pay cut and work a whole lot more hours to facilitate those things. Some folks (myself included) felt pretty burned out by the end of training and were more than ready for better pay and better work life balance.

However by Just dividing yearly RVU target with base salary, gives conversion factor of 39.4, which is probably 25th centile. The RVU target is 65th tile and the conv factor should be 60$. Aby comments on bonus paid at half rate of the regular conv factor?

For that target, shouldn't the compensation be around 300k

Reactions: 1 user
However by Just dividing yearly RVU target with base salary, gives conversion factor of 39.4, which is probably 25th centile. The RVU target is 65th tile and the conv factor should be 60$. Aby comments on bonus paid at half rate of the regular conv factor?

For that target, shouldn't the compensation be around 300k
Yes. But the problem is that you’re gonna have to work your ass off to achieve this.

I apologise for asking too many questions since this is my first offer and I'm still trying to understand, but thank you for replying . where do I start negotiating ? Should I start off by asking them to increase base or to decrease RVU target( is that even normal to ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologise for asking too many questions since this is my first offer and I'm still trying to understand, but thank you for replyiwhere do I start negotiating ? Should I start off by asking them to increase base or to decrease RVU target( is that even normal to ask?

Hi I have a job contract that I need help with understanding as it's my first one.

Location- major city in Central Texas
Setting- teaching hospital, 100% outpatient, a/w a university.
Base salary - 225k guaranteed, Physicians generating wRVUs at or above the 65th %ile of MGMA for 2 successive years in a row will be given a salary adjustment commensurate with MGMA
Monthly Productivity incentive- monthly rvu targets ranging between 450-480 with annual target of almost 5700. Imaging, labs etc not included. Bonus is 20$per RVU
Retirement plan -457 plan, 100% match

The RVU costs does not sound right to me and I need some perspective. Thanks
I agree with dozitgetchahi on this.

I am not familiar with the southwest, but it does sound like a prototypical fakedemia offer. Now, if you're stuck in this location and have to be in a particular city, then your options are going to be quite limited.

With that said, let's break down the nuts and bolts here.

I assume right off the bat that this is based on 2021 RVU rates, as 5700 RVUs equates to high 4000s if using the old RVUs. While it's doable, it's quite a bit of work. WAYYY too much work for a base of $225k. You're right in that if you break down the compensation per RVU, it's in the high 30s. And that's pathetically low. With the 2021 reimbursement rates, the comp per RVU did drop a bit compared to previous, but it's not that large of a drop.

What is 65%ile MGMA? Do they even know this yet? As far as I know, 2021 MGMA isn't even out yet, so the 65%ile is a complete unknown. I would not want to go into a contract where the line in the sand can shift with the tides and is completely out of your control. I would prefer a set formula. wRVU x conversion = your salary. No surprises there.

$20 per RVU above target is a joke. This is what my previous fakedemic institution wanted to pay, and needless to say, they are now hemorrhaging docs. Any job where your schedule is not at your complete and utter control should NOT have this low of productivity wRVU conversion.
Why you ask? It's because they have the potential of packing your schedule to the brim, and you will have zero autonomy to be able to tell the schedulers "hey guys... I am on pace to hit my RVU goal, so can you just stop adding new patients?" What this means is that they can theoretically force you to see 7000 RVUs, but low ball you for the last 1300 RVUs.

Let's do the math here. I assume you're going to be working 8 hour days, and they are wanting 40 and 20 minute slots. Which means a full schedule is 24 return patients, or a lesser volume when combined with X new patients per day. In 2021, a level 4 return patient is 1.92 wRVUs. So if you see 24 (8 hours x 3 pts per hour) level 4 returns per day (should be a few level 5s in there but let's keep it simple) at 4 days a week and 47 weeks a year, that's 8663 wRVUs generated. In a normal formula that I described above, you'll be making 8663 x let's say $50 for a grand total of 433k. *I'm getting $50 from what I have heard from my friends who re-negotiated to 2021 rates.

At this shop?
It's 8663 - 5700 = 2963
2963 x $20 = $59k
$225k + $59k = $284k

A whopping difference of $433k - $284k = $149k

But, like I said, if you're completely limited by location then you have no choice. But if commuting is an option, that's what I would do. Don't get ripped off by the fakedemics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Yes! I agree with all of this. And the same weird “bonus structure” OP describes is what I saw in multiple community health system offers on the interview trail. The MGMA percentages for RVUs are very popular - and in addition to being super vague, remember that the MGMA numbers are controversial and arguably tend to lowball things. Somehow, these contracts all end up with you working your ass off to make ~$275k unless you really put your nose to the grindstone, where you might make $290k at best. Some contracts even had “overcompensation” clauses where if you made over 90% MGMA, they switched to some other metric to basically avoid having to pay you more. It’s rubbish. Not to mention that working 90% MGMA would put you on the fast track to burnout.

PP contracts tend to be quite a bit more lucrative, but then you’re in the world of overhead and collections and ancellaries and possible infusion income etc, which is very different and really a whole other ball game.

Last edited:

I am not familiar with the southwest, but it does sound like a prototypical fakedemia offer. Now, if you're stuck in this location and have to be in a particular city, then your options are going to be quite limited.

I assume right off the bat that this is based on 2021 RVU rates, as 5700 RVUs equates to high 4000s if using the old RVUs. While it's doable, it's quite a bit of work. WAYYY too much work for a base of $225k. You're right in that if you break down the compensation per RVU, it's in the high 30s. And that's pathetically low. With the 2021 reimbursement rates, the comp per RVU did drop a bit compared to previous, but it's not that large of a drop.

What is 65%ile MGMA? Do they even know this yet? As far as I know, 2021 MGMA isn't even out yet, so the 65%ile is a complete unknown. I would not want to go into a contract where the line in the sand can shift with the tides and is completely out of your control. I would prefer a set formula. wRVU x conversion = your salary. No surprises there.

$20 per RVU above target is a joke. This is what my previous fakedemic institution wanted to pay, and needless to say, they are now hemorrhaging docs. Any job where your schedule is not at your complete and utter control should NOT have this low of productivity wRVU conversion.
Why you ask? It's because they have the potential of packing your schedule to the brim, and you will have zero autonomy to be able to tell the schedulers "hey guys... I am on pace to hit my RVU goal, so can you just stop adding new patients?" What this means is that they can theoretically force you to see 7000 RVUs, but low ball you for the last 1300 RVUs.

Let's do the math here. I assume you're going to be working 8 hour days, and they are wanting 40 and 20 minute slots. Which means a full schedule is 24 return patients, or a lesser volume when combined with X new patients per day. In 2021, a level 4 return patient is 1.92 wRVUs. So if you see 24 (8 hours x 3 pts per hour) level 4 returns per day (should be a few level 5s in there but let's keep it simple) at 4 days a week and 47 weeks a year, that's 8663 wRVUs generated. In a normal formula that I described above, you'll be making 8663 x let's say $50 for a grand total of 433k. *I'm getting $50 from what I have heard from my friends who re-negotiated to 2021 rates.

At this shop?
It's 8663 - 5700 = 2963
2963 x $20 = $59k
$225k + $59k = $284k

But, like I said, if you're completely limited by location then you have no choice. But if commuting is an option, that's what I would do. Don't get ripped off by the fakedemics.
Also, at my first crappy community hospital job the $/RVU was $45 or so, and a lot of folks I knew thought that seemed really low (they actually lowered it from the mid $50s in the negotiations for a sign on bonus). $30s is terrible. That’s really, really low.

I apologise for asking too many questions since this is my first offer and I'm still trying to understand, but thank you for replyiwhere do I start negotiating ? Should I start off by asking them to increase base or to decrease RVU target( is that even normal to ask?
Remember that everything is a negotiation, and everything is negotiable whether they say it is or not.

First thing I would do is negotiate up the base, ideally to maybe $250k. Bear in mind that MGMA for the south right now is like $260k or so. Then the bonus structure BS doesn’t matter as much. I would also do things like cap the total number of daily pts in the contract so you don’t drown. As other posters have alluded to, under this bonus structure their incentive is to try to shove as many patients down your throat as they can because it’s cheap for them. You’ll burn out if they do this to you (main reason I left my first job - 24 pts per day in rheum isn’t sustainable and I spent my entire life outside of work doing notes because their EMR sucked ass). If I could negotiate the first contract over, I would have defined my work hours and patient max numbers in the contract. Also, define the work week in the contract so you won’t be stuck working weekends.

Another thought is to chuck the bonus structure altogether and just try to negotiate a flat salary. They may not want to agree to this unless you also agree to consistently see a “floor” of no less than 15 a day or something after a certain period of time. This also has its pros and cons - you don’t get more money for seeing more patients - but if you also have a daily patient cap you can keep from drowning as described above (this is basically how most VA contracts work, as I understand it).

Another option is to have a flat salary guarantee for a certain number of years and then go pure production. If you did this, you would need to negotiate that $/RVU number up - way up - ideally to mid $50s, but certainly no less than high $40s or so.

Also, have this contract reviewed by an appropriate attorney (not your brother who does DUI law or something) if you haven’t already done so. There’s a lot of ways to get screwed in a physician contract outside of the compensation structure. Have someone who knows go through it. I personally have used (and had good results with) Resolve Physician Agency.

Last edited:

At this shop?
It's 8663 - 5700 = 2963
2963 x $20 = $59k
$225k + $59k = $284k

Appreciate you breaking this down. I wish I knew this when I took my PCP job after residency, but I was just excited to make some real money. I was exactly in the same situation, in Fakedemia (big name) with no control over patients I saw and low RVU comp. Finally left and will be starting my Rheum fellowship this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone

I have another job contract that I need help reviewing because this is my first private practice opportunity

Location- Seattle
Base 320k
Sign on bonus 10k
Productivity bonus 25%

Chance for partnership in 2yrs ( currently split between 2 partners)

I liked the physicians and staff who are working there and it seemed to be a very well established clinic in a good location. Benefits offered are decent as well.

Questions
1. What is your recommendation on further negotiating
2. What are some of the things you look for in a private practice and what turns you off?
3. Is it a sensitive question to ask what the profits of the clinic are so that I can understand what my potential is as a partner to earn.

Will appreciate your response

Wow. Seems like these fakedemia jobs really target the green and uninformed new grads. But it seems like academic rheum jobs pay a little higher than academic neph jobs. Not sure about the quality of life though.

Wow. Seems like these fakedemia jobs really target the green and uninformed new grads. But it seems like academic rheum jobs pay a little higher than academic neph jobs. Not sure about the quality of life though.
This is private practice. You don't think it is a good offer?

This is private practice. You don't think it is a good offer?

You have to consider the cost of living in Seattle. You make able to do more with 250k in central Texas. Everything goes up in HCOL areas(day care, grocery, housing).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone

I have another job contract that I need help reviewing because this is my first private practice opportunity

Location- Seattle
Base 320k
Sign on bonus 10k
Productivity bonus 25%

Chance for partnership in 2yrs ( currently split between 2 partners)

I liked the physicians and staff who are working there and it seemed to be a very well established clinic in a good location. Benefits offered are decent as well.

Questions
1. What is your recommendation on further negotiating
2. What are some of the things you look for in a private practice and what turns you off?
3. Is it a sensitive question to ask what the profits of the clinic are so that I can understand what my potential is as a partner to earn.

Will appreciate your response
If this is pure private then more info is required.

What does productivity bonus 25% mean?

What ancillary revenue can be generated?

What is their overhead?

What’s the payer mix?

Private practice is a different beast since overhead is such a big discrepancy between groups. A practice with high overhead can absolutely destroy your profits. Especially in this day and age of high labor cost and labor shortage, you may have to run faster and faster to stay in the same place.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying @bronx43 .

Overhead is around 80,000 each physician per month. There are 2 now and once I become a partner it will be split 3 ways

Profit was around 1.8million total last year

Productivity bonus includes what I make in a month which includes the patient billing, dexa scans and as for infusion costs- nurse reimbursements, and j codes only.

Not sure what ancillary revenue and payer mix means.

Overall the clinic has 2 physicians, a new NPwho is not yet practicing on her own and has its own infusion.

Overall I loved the work environment and people there.

Thank you so much for replying @bronx43 .

Overhead is around 80,000 each physician per month. There are 2 now and once I become a partner it will be split 3 ways

Profit was around 1.8million total last year

Productivity bonus includes what I make in a month which includes the patient billing, dexa scans and as for infusion costs- nurse reimbursements, and j codes only.

Not sure what ancillary revenue and payer mix means.

Overall the clinic has 2 physicians, a new NPwho is not yet practicing on her own and has its own infusion.

Overall I loved the work environment and people there.
Wait what? 80k a month in overhead PER doc???

So, basically this is a huge infusion outfit and they probably have 20+ employees, and a huge office lined wall to wall with infusion chairs. Heck, if the profit (not revenue) is 1.8M then they're doing something right.

My big problem with this sort of set up is that:
1. I would bet money they're just giving half the people that walk in the door infusions and not even offering SC treatments half the time. And this isn't including the fact that I would bet money a lot of these pts don't even have real disease.

2. Your ability to get infusions may not be what you or they think it is. Between JAKs and SC DMARDs, Medicare Advantage, and step up requirements from private insurers, getting a big panel of infusion patients is near impossible.

In #2 scenario, you're basically helping them pay their overhead, while not being able to generate the same kind of infusion revenue (assuming their infusion revenue isn't split evenly).

Payer mix means what percent of their patients are Medicare versus Medicaid versus private payer.

Last edited:
Wait what? 80k a month in overhead PER doc???

So, basically this is a huge infusion outfit and they probably have 20+ employees, and a huge office lined wall to wall with infusion chairs. Heck, if the profit (not revenue) is 1.8M then they're doing something right.

My big problem with this sort of set up is that:
1. I would bet money they're just giving half the people that walk in the door infusions and not even offering SC treatments half the time. And this isn't including the fact that I would bet money a lot of these pts don't even have real disease.

2. Your ability to get infusions may not be what you or they think it is. Between JAKs and SC DMARDs, Medicare Advantage, and step up requirements from private insurers, getting a big panel of infusion patients is near impossible.

In #2 scenario, you're basically helping them pay their overhead, while not being able to generate the same kind of infusion revenue (assuming their infusion revenue isn't split evenly).

Payer mix means what percent of their patients are Medicare versus Medicaid versus private payer.
Agree with all this. We need details.

I work PP in the semi rural South currently. My deal was:

-$300k base
-$25k signon
-$50k loan repayment

My overhead is something like $35k/month. $80k/month is extremely high *but* for a small rheumatology PP in Seattle that may not be all that surprising (this is one of many reasons small rheumatology practices struggle, or get mixed up with Articularis or Bendcare or those other private funding groups). My “hot take” is that this overhead situation is the main reason they’re trying to add another partner - the existing partners are straining under the weight of the overhead in one of the most expensive locales in America. One question I always asked at my interviews was “why are you adding another partner?” The answers I got were sometimes very revealing.

My questions:

- what other ancellaries are available? Do they have a lab, their own XR/CT/MRI machines? I only heard DEXA as an ancillary source - DEXA doesn’t amount to much.

- I agree that this sounds like an infusion mill where they’re basically running Remicade and Orencia etc into practically anyone they can get an insurance auth on, including people that probably have just fibromyalgia. $1.8 million in profits for two rheumatologists doesn’t break down any other way (unless these guys are also running a pill mill or dealing coke on the side or something…don’t laugh, some docs near me just got indicted for this) - and I would also bet this is one of these rheum practices where the partners plow through 30 pts a day, spending 5 min with each one while practicing really ****ty medicine (there are a surprising number of rheums out there like this, unfortunately). This isn’t cool, isn’t ethical, and if it is indeed what is going on you don’t want to be anywhere near these people. Chances are this isn’t the only sleazy thing they’ve been doing.

- what is the “productivity bonus”

- are you the first physician they’re trying to add as a future partner? Or do they regularly burn through “future partners” that they then deny partnership to (this happens regularly out there, unfortunately)

- you need to see a full breakdown of the practice finances. They need to show you profits, expenses, operating costs, and where it is all breaking down and who is getting what. If there is any hesitation or reluctance to do this, RUN! I got mixed up in a really bad PP deal before my current PP job with one other rheumatologist that refused to show her finances to me or my attorney when I signed - she turned out to be a con (wo)man who hadn’t paid her taxes in years and was doing all sorts of other janky nonsense too. Thankfully I got out of that nonsense after a month, but still. Good partners won’t be afraid to show what’s up with their numbers. It sounds like you’ve been given very little info here.

- look carefully at the wording of the contract regarding partnership. You need to know buy in details, and what you have to do to become a partner. What you want to see is a more or less well defined path to partnership (ie, if you hit this amount of collections in this timeframe, you become eligible, then you start a buy in process, etc etc). If the contract is extremely vague (“option to become a partner in x years”), then I would regard it as a situation where they’re not committed to actually making you a partner. You don’t want it to purely be their whim whether or not you become a partner, no matter how good your performance is.

- you also want to know how much the “buy in” is. These days, the trend is towards lower buy ins. Mine is only like $25k, spread over 5 years in monthly payments - but at the sleazy practice I described above, they were talking about a $125-150k buy in which is frankly absurd. I have seen practices where the buy in is only $5k, or even nothing. You also need to know what is included in the buy-in - ie, are you buying just into the “practice” or do they own the real estate, the billing company, etc etc and are you buying into those too?

- if you want to do private practice and do well, you have to become comfortable with the “business of medicine”. PP means being much more business minded than you would be in a hospital system (or especially academia). If you are cool with thinking like a businessman as well as a physician and want to learn the business side of medicine, PP is the place for you. If not, it isn’t.

- if you aren’t working with an attorney yet, you need to be. You especially need an attorney to evaluate a partnership track contract

Last edited:
@dozithabk you fir the response

looks like i am the first one they are trying to hire. The 2nd partner joined the group about 8yrs ago.

The main person has been doing this for almost 20yrs.

They do have a lot of infusion beds. From my meeting with them it did seem like they were running a successful practice and most of their patients have very good insurances.

The have dexa and labs but not xrays. They have an in house billing person too and have 98%collections.

They did show me a breakdown of their expenses and went through it for me.

They said I can be a partner but unable to say what my earning potential can be in year 3 but promise if I work hard enough I can make in the higher 300s. Understanding what exactly working 'hard enough' is very very important to me because I have 2 little kids and cannot be at work all the time. They say it will difficult to quantify numbers for the future in regards to how many patients in clinic and infusion I will have to see. I would've signed the deal in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the overhead. But based on some numbers im trying to run, i dont myself earning more than 250k after overhead in such an expensive location. I dont want to see more than 18-20patients a day. I even considered staying as an employee only and not do partnership, but even that doesn't make any sense because I will still have to pay my overhead. They are now saying it's probably going to be 40k now because they have prorated based on office staff, but will this all go in a contract? Because overheads can change every year right.

The other offer I have is a hospital based system in Central Texas for a base of 250k and 25k sign on. Productivity model kicks in in 2yrs (or earlier if I want to) for rvu target 4600 and it's 58$ for every rvu after that. The location is also desirable for me and unfortunately no private practice have responded back to me in this area. I don't want to start a practice at this point in my career. Does it sound a much better and cleaner deal woth the situation I'm in.

looks like i am the first one they are trying to hire. The 2nd partner joined the group about 8yrs ago.

They do have a lot of infusion beds. From my meeting with them it did seem like they were running a successful practice and most of their patients have very good insurances.

The have dexa and labs but not xrays. They have an in house billing person too and have 98%collections.

They said I can be a partner but unable to say what my earning potential can be in year 3 but promise if I work hard enough I can make in the higher 300s. Understanding what exactly working 'hard enough' is very very important to me because I have 2 little kids and cannot be at work all the time. They say it will difficult to quantify numbers for the future in regards to how many patients in clinic and infusion I will have to see. I would've signed the deal in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the overhead. But based on some numbers im trying to run, i dont myself earning more than 250k after overhead in such an expensive location. I dont want to see more than 18-20patients a day. I even considered staying as an employee only and not do partnership, but even that doesn't make any sense because I will still have to pay my overhead. They are now saying it's probably going to be 40k now because they have prorated based on office staff, but will this all go in a contract? Because overheads can change every year right.

The other offer I have is a hospital based system in Central Texas for a base of 250k and 25k sign on. Productivity model kicks in in 2yrs (or earlier if I want to) for rvu target 4600 and it's 58$ for every rvu after that. The location is also desirable for me and unfortunately no private practice have responded back to me in this area. I don't want to start a practice at this point in my career. Does it sound a much better and cleaner deal woth the situation I'm in.
@bronx43 @dozitgetchahi

Take the Texas hospital gig and never look back.
At the private practice you would run yourself to the ground and barely cover your overhead expenses.

Does J code mean the actual drug money or it is just a CPT code for infusion? Does it usually fetch a good amount of money or the money mostly lies in the drug itself?

Also is J codes usually included in the productivity bonus? @bronx43 @dozitgetchahi

Does J code mean the actual drug money or it is just a CPT code for infusion? Does it usually fetch a good amount of money or the money mostly lies in the drug itself?

Also is J codes usually included in the productivity bonus? @bronx43 @dozitgetchahi
J codes are for drug reimbursement. It depends what drug is being bought and billed. Some fetch a good shekel while others are barely profitable. In general these will be far more lucrative than the CPT code for the infusion itself.

Buy and bill profits should always count towards productivity, otherwise they’re taking advantage of you.

Just read this quickly between patients

I think those PP partners sound like shysters and the deal they’re offering isn’t good. It also sounds like they don’t have their act together for hiring someone else.

Consider the following - this is a practice where the two partners are apparently splitting $1.8 million in profits between them, and they’re telling you you might make high $300k money if you put your nose to the grindstone? Lol. These are two greedy guys who don’t want to share the milk and honey. (This isn’t surprising, because in the PP world you will unfortunately find lots and lots of partners who think and behave like that.)

Also, their original quote of $80k overhead/month is just insane. Do some basic math and consider the following - $80k/month overhead comes out to $960k/year. How much money are these guys bringing in if they can still splitting $1.8 million between them while each guy pays $960k a year in overhead? Those numbers don’t make sense to me unless someone is doing something illegal.

Sounds like they haven’t given you a contract yet, either. If you are still interested in Seattle, I’d ask them for a contract and negotiate from there. Remember that nothing you discussed with them matters unless it is spelled out in a contract. If you can negotiate an OK contract with these people, it may be an OK option, but my guess is that you won’t be able to.

If you do decide to go with these Seattle guys, make sure you have a good lawyer working with you and make sure the attorney looks at the financial info thoroughly. Some law firms that do this will also bring in a forensic accountant to review everything before you buy in. Here, you definitely need that.

Don’t work as “just an employee” among partners. You will be exploited.

You are willing to look outside Texas now, no? There are lots and lots of good rheumatology jobs out there now. Keep looking unless you are under the gun to sign asap. The TX deal isn’t that great either IMHO.

Last edited:
Just read this quickly between patients

I think those PP partners sound like shysters and the deal they’re offering isn’t good. It also sounds like they don’t have their act together for hiring someone else.

You are willing to look outside Texas now, no? There are lots and lots of good rheumatology jobs out there now. Keep looking unless you are under the gun to sign asap. The TX deal isn’t that great either IMHO.
4600 rvus and $58/rvu thereafter with base of $250k isn’t terrible.

If it’s in a major metro then idk that there’s much better out there. I’m in a semi rural and only have slightly higher comp per rvu.

4600 rvus and $58/rvu thereafter with base of $250k isn’t terrible.

If it’s in a major metro then idk that there’s much better out there. I’m in a semi rural and only have slightly higher comp per rvu.
Yeah I just read it again and saw that.

$58/wrvu isn’t bad, I agree.

OP, I’m assuming you were able to get the Texas folks to go up on that $/wrvu number? Originally they had given you a lowball number in the low $30s iirc?

Last edited:
This is a different hospital.

I'm going with the 2nd hospital gig guys. Really appreciate your assistance and time. Thank you.

One last question.. 4600 rvu roughly corresponds to how many patients, not that it matters now but just curious. Thanks

Interesting thread. Applying to private practice position in the south guaranteed 300k for two years. Bonus is structured as $51 per RVU above 5550 target. Thoughts?

Interesting thread. Applying to private practice position in the south guaranteed 300k for two years. Bonus is structured as $51 per RVU above 5550 target. Thoughts?
With private practices regardless of specialty, always aim to negotiate % of collections...not RVU.

That’s a good point. What would be a reasonable percentage of collections? 60%?

No, much higher than that, like at least 85% if not 90% or more. At my multispecialty practice the “service fee” for HR, accounting, billing, etc etc is 8% (and the fee for infusion proceeds is 4%). I have heard of practices charging more like 15% for that, but IMHO that’s a lot.

You don’t want RVUs at a private practice. In fact, I didn’t encounter any PPs on the interview trail that paid in terms of RVU.

No, much higher than that, like at least 85% if not 90% or more. At my multispecialty practice the “service fee” for HR, accounting, billing, etc etc is 8% (and the fee for infusion proceeds is 4%). I have heard of practices charging more like 15% for that, but IMHO that’s a lot.

You don’t want RVUs at a private practice. In fact, I didn’t encounter any PPs on the interview trail that paid in terms of RVU.
Wait, 8%?? You mean that for just the shared services, I assume. Even then that's pretty good. My old multispecialty group was about 55-57% overhead without rent. Others I've seen were around 50-55% all in.

Wait, 8%?? You mean that for just the shared services, I assume. Even then that's pretty good. My old multispecialty group was about 55-57% overhead without rent. Others I've seen were around 50-55% all in.
Yeah I’m talking about just services fees.

“All in” overhead is another story altogether, but there’s a number of variables in that figure that you may personally have control over (ie, do you want more staff (scribes and such) or not, etc etc).

Overhead in your old group sounds super high. 55% without rent? Yikes. All in overhead here is probably about 40-45% from what I’ve seen so far.

This will vary by specialty and location. I have NEVER heard of collections approaching 80% for any specialty. Generally collections for someone joining are based on 3 factors: overhead for the practice, cost to bring you on, and if there is a much lower collection rate, it accounts for part of the buy-in process for becoming a partner in 2-3 years. Other factors can influence it too based off what else is negotiated in the contract. But for a private practice, RVUs are NOT the way to go.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me here.

I have 2 job offers in my desired location.

First is PP, very well established , 5 rheumatologists, 5 locations, infusion, pt, x-ray, us, lab, dexa.
220k first year + 10k sign on, 240 second year with option to go 50/50 (negotiable).
Also option to open a new location and become partner for that location again 50/50.
I don't like the numbers at all but I am being promised that there's a huge potential and if I work right , see 20-25 patients daily, use ultrasound and etc I can easily make 300k+ and can get a PA, and. Potentially add 100k+.
Pros: location and accessibility , potential high income
Cons: low starting salary, have to cover consults (different EMRs)

Second is a hospital employed. Large community hospital system with strong referral base.
Fixed salary 265k, sign on bonus 70k! productivity bonus starting 2nd year, wrvu goal 5800, $55 per wrvu in excess, and great benefits. Average 15 patients a day. One half day for admin stuff.
Pros: can cover consults over phone?! And see patients in clinic. Epic emr which I'm using now.
only one location. Great benefits.
cons: don't have a working US machine and nobody uses it! Time consuming? Which I don't like because I'm getting certified and want to incorporate it in my practice. Location a bit off from main city and not great accessibility.

I Would appreciate any input to help me make my decision.

thanks.

I'm not a rheumatologist... but if all the offers look like that then I am very glad :oops:
I like my job (1st year palliative attending). 280k, with yearly COLA raises, clear path to $300k in a few years
M-F no weekends, no night coverage, no call. 6-8 patients per day, no dependence on productivity.
Fellowship was only 1 year!
49 paid days off per year (plus 5 days CME)

LOL @consults at multiple locations, multiple EMR's, 20-25 pts per day??

I would take Option 2 and push hard for a new ultrasound machine. Not that hard.

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me here.

I have 2 job offers in my desired location.

First is PP, very well established , 5 rheumatologists, 5 locations, infusion, pt, x-ray, us, lab, dexa.
220k first year + 10k sign on, 240 second year with option to go 50/50 (negotiable).
Also option to open a new location and become partner for that location again 50/50.
I don't like the numbers at all but I am being promised that there's a huge potential and if I work right , see 20-25 patients daily, use ultrasound and etc I can easily make 300k+ and can get a PA, and. Potentially add 100k+.
Pros: location and accessibility , potential high income
Cons: low starting salary, have to cover consults (different EMRs)

Second is a hospital employed. Large community hospital system with strong referral base.
Fixed salary 265k, sign on bonus 70k! productivity bonus starting 2nd year, wrvu goal 5800, $55 per wrvu in excess, and great benefits. Average 15 patients a day. One half day for admin stuff.
Pros: can cover consults over phone?! And see patients in clinic. Epic emr which I'm using now.
only one location. Great benefits.
cons: don't have a working US machine and nobody uses it! Time consuming? Which I don't like because I'm getting certified and want to incorporate it in my practice. Location a bit off from main city and not great accessibility.

I Would appreciate any input to help me make my decision.

thanks.
Not rheum but:
#1-Be very wary, they are going to be making money hand over first from ancillary charges you will be generating for them, do you ever get to see any of that action? How long? Is there contract language for this? Are they open about how much they make? Asking these questions might raise important red flags.

#2-For the ultrasound if they won't buy one you can get a butterfly IQ for 3k so this really shouldnt be a deciding factor.

I'm not a rheumatologist... but if all the offers look like that then I am very glad :oops:
I like my job (1st year palliative attending). 280k, with yearly COLA raises, clear path to $300k in a few years
M-F no weekends, no night coverage, no call. 6-8 patients per day, no dependence on productivity.
Fellowship was only 1 year!
49 paid days off per year (plus 5 days CME)

LOL @consults at multiple locations, multiple EMR's, 20-25 pts per day??

I would take Option 2 and push hard for a new ultrasound machine. Not that hard.
20 patients for rheumatology PP is normal. Unless you work in a real academic setting and in that case you see 10-12.
I don't think there's any rheumatologist who sees 6-8 patients a day.
Salaries are location dependent too, you may go work in middle of no where and earn 300-400k after a few years.

What is making the decision hard for me is the potential in the PP. I have to work harder however I may be able to make 400k+ in 5 years if I learn how to do the business, yet in the second option I get a fixed salary with some production on top and end up somewhere around 300k forever.