rheumatology vs ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yesno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone talk about mainly about rheumatology? I don't think I'd go into either field but I am thinking of taking a 4th yr elective.. and I really like msk exam...

But another problem is that I'll be staying at this place 2 hrs away from the hospital... so I think that's acceptable if you're gunning for either specialty but not if u just want to learn. I am afraid that even a relatively easy rheum elective would become unacceptably hard if it included a 4hr commute.

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone talk about mainly about rheumatology? I don't think I'd go into either field but I am thinking of taking a 4th yr elective.. and I really like msk exam...

But another problem is that I'll be staying at this place 2 hrs away from the hospital... so I think that's acceptable if you're gunning for either specialty but not if u just want to learn. I am afraid that even a relatively easy rheum elective would become unacceptably hard if it included a 4hr commute.
If you really like the MSK exam, then why not PM&R?

Reactions: 1 users
4 hrs is too much, no matter how much you love something. Unless its for sex. Do it for sex.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4 hrs is too much, no matter how much you love something. Unless its for sex. Do it for sex.
But my plan is to read a textbook while on the bus. That way I'd get more learning done than even at home. I rarely study at home because I cannot concentrate. But I don't know if anyone actually did this. Also as I said I don't love any of this.

But my plan is to read a textbook while on the bus. That way I'd get more learning done than even at home. I rarely study at home because I cannot concentrate. But I don't know if anyone actually did this. Also as I said I don't love any of this.
Then why are you taking an elective in something you hate?

I don't hate anything besides a few specialties. But I don't love anything either. I liked my 3rd year or tho the most but don't know if it would serve me any good to do a sub I in a specialty that I'm not going to. I wonder how hands on are ortjo sub I vs some other specialties? Because it would be lame to just stand there all day and not do anything

If you're gonna do ortho, I'd recommend non-operative sports or non-operative pediatric ortho elective. Can learn a ton about the MSK exam and non-operative management of MSK issues in either one of those.

The standard orthopaedic surgey rotations have an element of hazing and will-testing built into them because they view all rotators as prospective interns. Plus, you'd have to compete with M4 ortho gunners like myself...

Plus, you'd have to compete with M4 ortho gunners like myself...[/QUOTE]

Really...

What about er for msk experience? I understand that er residents do outside rotations in fields like or tho, euro, optho to get some skills. So I wonder if as a student u would actually examine sprained ankles , knee injuries, help cast non orif fix? Or IRL orthos do all of that? I remember how on my GS rotation orthos displaced GS and er residents whenever there was any fracture.
I am not a fan of hazing and that's why I thought about taking er but afraid that's all they do instead of teaching... but I do realize that I am no fit for any type of surgery. Though I enjoy watching when 1 surgeon denigrates another surgeon.

What about er for msk experience? I understand that er residents do outside rotations in fields like or tho, euro, optho to get some skills. So I wonder if as a student u would actually examine sprained ankles , knee injuries, help cast non orif fix? Or IRL orthos do all of that? I remember how on my GS rotation orthos displaced GS and er residents whenever there was any fracture.
I am not a fan of hazing and that's why I thought about taking er but afraid that's all they do instead of teaching... but I do realize that I am no fit for any type of surgery. Though I enjoy watching when 1 surgeon denigrates another surgeon.
Who doesn't?

I think it depends on the program. An ED at a hospital without an ortho residency is probably more likely to have their own residents take care of that stuff.

Really...

I'm just being facetious. it'd be annoying to be surrounded by gung-ho future applicants when you're just trying to chill and survey the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
4 hours of commuting? Sounds like an awful lot of opportunity to miss a bus/ bus break down / forget something at work you need and are screwed/ insert random con of living 2 hours away from workplace. That alone is a dealbreaker IMO.

4 hours of sex?? Only i could accomplish such a feat.
dc48716c3beda993109c677648e9b5967419cd0431273eeef1603051549b89e9.jpg

Reactions: 1 user