Rhode Island Resident - Any Luck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KindOfMaroon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've asked my pre-med advisor and a few people back home, but what's the scoop for Rhode Island residents? I know there's only one medical school in RI - Brown - so do we just not have a "state school" to apply to?

I know that, for Pharmacy School, kids from other NE states that don't have a pharmacy school can go to URI for state tuition. Any kind of thing like that for RI residents?

If there isn't a Rhode Island school, how long do I have to live in Chicago to become an IL resident/how does that work? Then I have quite a few choices...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding for Illinois residency is that you just have to provide a state ID or voter registration card. I might be wrong so I would look into that... but if you can pass as an IL resident, I would.

From SIU:
ILLINOIS RESIDENCY:
SIUMED only accepts legal Illinois residents for the regular MD program. Legal residents are considered to be those in possession of a valid Illinois drivers' license and/or those who are also registered to vote in the State. Only the combined medicine and law (MD/JD) program considers non-Illinois residents.

UIC is a little bit more complicated... but they also tend to take a lot of OOS.

Hey All,

I've asked my pre-med advisor and a few people back home, but what's the scoop for Rhode Island residents? I know there's only one medical school in RI - Brown - so do we just not have a "state school" to apply to?

I know that, for Pharmacy School, kids from other NE states that don't have a pharmacy school can go to URI for state tuition. Any kind of thing like that for RI residents?

If there isn't a Rhode Island school, how long do I have to live in Chicago to become an IL resident/how does that work? Then I have quite a few choices...

Thanks in advance!
Nope, no instate school for Rhode Islanders and Brown doesn't show any instate love other than their early identification program with some RI undergrads (but being an RI resident isn't a requirement for that). Its a shame really, considering Brown gets a big tax break.
I think UCONN has some sympathy for RI residents but this isn't written anywhere and UVM is pretty OOS friendly. The DO school in Maine I think has a New England regional preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding for Illinois residency is that you just have to provide a state ID or voter registration card. I might be wrong so I would look into that... but if you can pass as an IL resident, I would.

From SIU:
ILLINOIS RESIDENCY:
SIUMED only accepts legal Illinois residents for the regular MD program. Legal residents are considered to be those in possession of a valid Illinois drivers’ license and/or those who are also registered to vote in the State. Only the combined medicine and law (MD/JD) program considers non-Illinois residents.

That's the offical line from SIU but in practice it is very, very unusual for anyone in northern Illinois (north of I-80 which bisects the state just south of Lake Michigan) to get any love unless they have ties downstate (grew up there, etc).

I didn't think that anyone really lived in Rhode Island.

Good to know I guess...

kinda glad i didn't move to Providence now, although Providence is an AWESOME city.

Oh, and I love your siggy LizzyM

RI resident here. Yes it sucks. But like others mentioned, I think many New England med schools show some desire for NE residents. So UConn and UVM are both schools to look into.

RI resident here. Yes it sucks. But like others mentioned, I think many New England med schools show some desire for NE residents. So UConn and UVM are both schools to look into.
Also Dartmouth and NECOM (DO).

UIC is a little bit more complicated... but they also tend to take a lot of OOS.
UIC expects you to live in-state for non-educational purposes for a year before you becpme a resident and to have the usual paper trail of tax documents, drivers license, voter's registration, car registration. Or you can marry an Illinois resident and be in-state immediately.

Ohio might be a better choice. They also have lots of med schools and from what I've heard, you're automatically in-state after the first year of school.

NJ is said to have liberal rules too.

Last edited:
Ohio might be a better choice. They also have lots of med schools and from what I've heard, you're automatically in-state after the first year of school..

This is not true (well regarding being OOS and getting an easier time into Ohio vs. IL). As a current Ohio resident I was forced to claim Illinois residency as the Ohio rules require you to live-in state for a full year independently before applying as an Ohio resident (and I just didn't feel like taking out loans to pay for my housing... maybe I should have... but they didn't seem to like loans either). You can claim in-state at the end of your first year of medical school there, but you also have to have paid Ohio taxes during your first year (and also prove independence from your parents if they live outside of Ohio -- so everything must be loans.)Though I might be mistaken, but the in-state rules are very complicated if your parents live OOS.

That's the official line from SIU but in practice it is very, very unusual for anyone in northern Illinois (north of I-80 which bisects the state just south of Lake Michigan) to get any love unless they have ties downstate (grew up there, etc).
Or unless you are URM. I know a few from Chicago currently there. Unfortunately, I am not, but I have sent SIU some letters expressing my interest and showing some ties to Southern Illinois. Here's hoping. :xf:

I was under the impression that Brown still showed some preference for alumni & RI residents in the application process.

I would specifically call & ask unless it is stated otherwise in print somewhere. And then if they say "no," I'd still ask a student what % of the class is from RI. I believe it used to be ~5%, which would clearly be disproportionate representation . . . but it's been 10+ years since I was there for undergrad <:scared: feeling old>, so it may very well have changed.

I was under the impression that Brown still showed some preference for alumni & RI residents in the application process.

I would specifically call & ask unless it is stated otherwise in print somewhere. And then if they say "no," I'd still ask a student what % of the class is from RI. I believe it used to be ~5%, which would clearly be disproportionate representation . . . but it's been 10+ years since I was there for undergrad <:scared: feeling old>, so it may very well have changed.

Brown (just like any other medical school) will show some "deference" towards alumni, but there is no real preference. There is no preference whatsoever for RI residents. It is a private school, which unlike Cornell it does not receive a significant subsidy from the state. If you have the stats for admission and you are what they are looking for to fill in the class, you are in, however being from RI is not something they look for. ( I asked)

Now, if you are an alumnus that has stayed in touch with the school, made a donation or contribution every year (even if it has been $100 bucks), etc...I am sure that you will be looked at in a more "favorable" light....

Even unconsciously, every school asks itself, "if offered admission, will this applicant chose to matriculate here". The type of applicant Brown is looking for (median gpa 3.7, median MCAT 35: 11/12/12, 2/3rd have volunteer experience 3/4rds have medically related work, 4/5th have research experience) is likely to have multiple offers and if you are a state resident or have family nearby (and in Rhode Island everything is nearby except maybe Block Island) you may be more likely to choose to matriculate there if given the opportunity. Or at least that's what the stats seem to show:

Of 108 resident applicants, 17 were interviewed (15%) compared with 229 (4%) of 4768 non-residents. RI residents make up almost 10% of the class while Rhode Island's population makes up <0.4% of US population. ORM at WAMS. ;)

It is a private school, which unlike Cornell it does not receive a significant subsidy from the state.

Maybe not a subsidy but I believe Brown only has to pay property tax on it's leased properties and it's buildings in the Jewlery District of Providence. Additionally, the city of Providence is shelling out a lot of money to spruce up the area surrounding the location of the new Brown med school building.

Maybe not a subsidy but I believe Brown only has to pay property tax on it's leased properties and it's buildings in the Jewlery District of Providence. Additionally, the city of Providence is shelling out a lot of money to spruce up the area surrounding the location of the new Brown med school building.

Not to derail the thread too much, but Brown is the one spending a lot of money converting their Jewelry District property into the new medical school and the City of Providence is also benefiting greatly with the gentrification of the area.

Also, the RI legislation recently passed a new tax to be paid by all private students which really created an uproar with the Administration. Brown's opposition was largely ignored.

But again, none of that should matter in the admissions process.

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot! This is pretty useful. I'm getting the sense that my list should end up being a bit New England-heavy (Dartmouth, UConn, Brown, etc). I will also look into the Illinois Residency idea and see what UIC requires and attempt to do that. Sure, I'll vote for Chicago Councilmen...uhmmm....maybe I'll write in my Pre-Med advisor since I'm not too familiar with the local politicians hah

Sigh...It seems I won't be able to get much of the green$, but what Rhode Island misses in $$ for me, it makes up in quahogs. :thumbup:

This is the most accurate post I have seen about Brown on sdn.

To the OP, without your stats it's hard to say where you should apply. If you have good stats (like those outlined below) Brown should definitely be on your list. However, if you have the stats below, you'd be a good fit at most schools.

If you are the average applicant, then you probably want the standard average applicant list: Drexel, BU, Tufts, Temple, Jefferson, UIC etc.

Being a RI resident you will be favored at a school like UConn. You're not going to get a tuition advantage for being a RI resident. Your best bet is likely going to be private schools in the area you eventually want to live.

Even unconsciously, every school asks itself, "if offered admission, will this applicant chose to matriculate here". The type of applicant Brown is looking for (median gpa 3.7, median MCAT 35: 11/12/12, 2/3rd have volunteer experience 3/4rds have medically related work, 4/5th have research experience) is likely to have multiple offers and if you are a state resident or have family nearby (and in Rhode Island everything is nearby except maybe Block Island) you may be more likely to choose to matriculate there if given the opportunity. Or at least that's what the stats seem to show:

Of 108 resident applicants, 17 were interviewed (15%) compared with 229 (4%) of 4768 non-residents. RI residents make up almost 10% of the class while Rhode Island's population makes up <0.4% of US population. ORM at WAMS. ;)