Rice/Baylor vs. Princeton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just REJECTED that Princeton invite (felt kinda good actually XD)....thanks for all the input....im R/B.

:thumbup: If I take an extra year of research at Baylor, maybe I'll see you on my way out :)

Members don't see this ad.

you'd be missing out on eating clubs and going to nyc or philly to escape the suburbs, or so i hear :p

Rice is Princeton's (little) sister school: it was founded by princeton admins (along with William Marsh Rice)...so many similar traditions exist at Rice

congrats on your decision and welcome to the Rice family....Now the next big step is finding out which College you will call home for your next four years.

If you are at either Lovett or Martel then you are cool with me :D:D:D

BTW: I chose Rice over Stanford, Duke, and Penn for undergrad (and at the time I was not sure I wanted to be a doc...so I was not Rice/Baylor) b/c I could not justify spending $15,000 more per year, especially since I felt Rice would provide as strong a curriculum (in most subjects) and access to a myriad of resources.

When I interviewed at med schools this past cycle interviewees and deans viewed my associations with Rice and Penn as being equally significant.

so DO NOT think for a second academs will not recognize the caliber of students Rice attracs (in comparison to the "Old" Ivy League schools)

best of luck to you

Ohhhhh yeah...and I do not know if you are in to sports, but at least at Rice you get to see some D-I action....I hate to say it but Ivy League sports is a joke...fun nonetheless....just a different type of fun

Members don't see this ad :)
Email Princeton and tell them of your great offer in Texas. Than tell them to Pony up a lot of cash or you're dropping them.
great idea. don't be shy. leverage all that you can and see what money you can get.

princeton is NOT WORTH 200k in loans and no guaranteed med if you are 100% sure you want medicine. go to rice, especially if you have the option of applying out of the program for med school... 200K in loans + interest + med school loans + interest = epic financial fail for a good chunk of your life.

i was going to say go to princeton until i heard the loan bit. did you not apply for fin aid, not qualify at all (don't believe this because why would you have to take out loans if your parents were super loaded), or are you getting the shaft because you were on the waitlist (fin aid not guaranteed for waitlisters at my ugrad)... i think the latter is the answer because you dont have much bargaining power on the waitlist (because it is huge) and they already would have access to your fin aid data and would know if you could pay full cost or close to it if need be.

PS why is princeton still dipping into the waitlist in july? is this normal? i guess they are having a lower than average yeild this year.

good point. if money doesn't balanced out after princeton replies, drop princeton and go for Rice. take it and run. you'll be glad 12+ yrs from now when you won't have 200k+ loans capitalizing on a resident's salary.