Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ridiculous Cornell MD-PhD Story _MUST READ!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by choker, Dec 4, 2001.

1. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

okay, so this actually happened tonight_ ABSOLUTELY TRUE STORY:

a friend of mine just received a call from the head of MD-PhD at Cornell informing him that he had been accepted with full-funding and everything, congratulating him and telling him about revisit weekend and the whole works.
    call ends, they hang up.
    three minutes later the guy calls back and says that he's really sorry, but the files were messed up and he was actually put on the wait-list!

-my friend politely screamed in anguish, hung up the phone, got very pissed off, promptly wrote a curt letter of withdrawal to Cornell, and signed and sent in his matriculation form to Wash U MD-PhD.

morons.

2. Vdawg

Vdawg Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thats real ****ed up!

3. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That's funny, but it wouldn't have been if he didn't have an acceptance to a great school like WashU. Schools should get their stuff straight :(

4. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That should be a lawsuit or something. That is totally heinous and unbelievably unfair. I completely agree with his decision to pull his app there. :(

5. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

he was actually pretty cool about it; he wasn't too impressed with cornell after having been accepted at Wash U, and so he wasn't planning on accepting their offer anyway, he said he just wanted to juggle and think about the acceptances for a bit before deciding for sure. Knowing him, though, i am sure he would have been going to Wash U either way.

-regardless, though, he was upset and it was really unprofessional.
    -reminds me a story i heard about one kid who accidentally got an acceptance letter at some med school, and when they tried to claim that it was sent out by mistake, he sued, won and matriculated.

6. energy_girl

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Funny that you should mention this story! What happened to your friend was my story last year.... but in reverse. The Cornell MD/PhD program told us that if we were accepted, we would get a call the week after thanksgiving. I never got the call, so I figured I either got rejected or waitlisted. Two weeks later, they called me to tell me that my file was switched, and that they "forgot" to call and let me know I was accepted.

In my case, it ended happily (and I am actually attending Wash U. right now, so i'm glad to hear your friend is coming! ;) . But you would think the organization would be a little better than that.... I wonder how many other schools do this type of thing.

7. dustinspeer

dustinspeer Who's your daddy?
    7+ Year Member

I would have laughed in the Cornell guy's face!
    With an acceptance at WashU, that pretty much beats all competition. The #1 MD-PHD. I know there could be arguments, but come on now. They are the best.