PhatGtDmB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
Status
On a screw being an inclined plan:( of course i missed it i was swearing when i came across this stupid ass question.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
About the Ads

a*brown

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
my sister who's in 8th grade apparently just learned about this in science class! a screw is an inclined plane around a cylinder. i couldn't believe that question.

C

Curious Tom

Good to hear, Vegangirl.
I put level as answer but at second thought inclined plane seems ok too.
Hopefully the AAMC people are as well informed as you dad about physics.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I put lever. That was a stupid question.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2002
Atl and soon to be OKC
Status
Supposedly the answer to the question was in the passage. They gave examples of inclined planes and screw was one of them. At least this is what my friend did to get the answer. I missed it, oh well there goes my 15 in physical.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I picked inclined plane, i hope that was right!

Mahi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2002
carrollton, TX
Visit site
Status
screws work by rotational force(torque) and so do levers right? that was my reasoning but hell if i know........and another stupid question.....

Marvin O'Connor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2004
Visit site
Status
A screw is an inclined plane. That's just one of those crazy trivial things that I don't know where I heard it but I have never forgotten it. If it makes the difference in a point on my score, then I'd say it was worth it.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status

freaker

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
I remembered this from Mrs. Stancampiano's eighth grade science class. The one where we all chucked handfulls of crayons across the room at one another. And yes, we had crayons in my eighth grade science class. I'm not quite sure why. Especially in a room filled with monstrous little eighth-graders.

But we certainly learned about screws being inclined planes. Never understood why, but hey, it worked out for me, I guess.

ornis4

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SailCrazy said:
If you have any doubt, just check out the first link posted above. The picture there explains the inclined plane concept very concisely. - Nice job Kazema!

http://www.infodotinc.com/machines/5.htm
The site in the link calls the screw a modified inclined plane that utilizes a lever, so....I'm confused. I chose lever on the MCAT, and trust me, I got plenty enough wrong already, so I'm not fighting for my chosen answer, I'm just still unclear, and I forget how the question was exactly phrased. I don't understand how lever could be wrong, because even if an inclined plane is involved, and lever certainly is as well.

CH3CH2OH

born to be wild-type
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
in the (cDNA) library
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
i chose lever. i barely even understood what the question was asking :(

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
"if you don't shut up you'll be a cylinder with an incline plane wrapped around it" - high school hoops coach telling me I'll be screwed.

The threads on the screw make it an inclined plane. The head of the screw in combination with the screw driver make it a lever.

About the Ads