Right thankyou notes when you have something to thank for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After writing thank you notes and getting rejected from a medical school. I called the med school up and heard some of the comments they made about me. They weren't very nice and really did not deserved to be thanked.

Given that the interviewers right up their comments in a day or two, far too quickly for a thank you note to make a difference.

What do you guys think of sending thank you notes only when you get accepted? Even though its a little late its just a nice thing i think to do, but i hate to thank people that treat me like crap and don't advocate on behalf of me.

Members don't see this ad.

It's customary to thank someone for interviewing you wether it be for med school, job, etc. They took time out to spend with you and regardless of the result they should be thanked. The purpose of a thank you note shouldn't be to get you in to med school. It's curtosy, plain and simple.

That completely bites that you wrote thank you's to people who wrote negative comments about you in your file :mad:

I have written a couple of thank you's after being accepted, but only when I felt like I really needed to thank the interviewer.

One interviewer wrote me a letter (handwritten) after my acceptance saying congratulations, I know you will have lots of choices, and even if you don't decide not to come here, please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding other medical schools, your future residency etc. I really appreciated the time she spent with me during the interview and the offer to answer questions she wasn't really obliged to.

I also wrote to both of my interviewers at the school I will most likely be attending (UCSF). It was really a long shot for me to get accepted there and I am so grateful for the opportunity that I felt compelled to write them.

Hey, what school was this geldrop? How did you get them to tell you what your interviewers said about you? Was this over the phone? Man! What brutal honesty to disclose such information!