Right, you can all stop prescribing Xanax...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally a safe alternative has been found ~ sniffing lemons. Yes, apparently inhaling the scent of lemons or a lemony type scent has been "scientifically' proven to show a significant decrease in people's overall mood disturbance, therefore, Xanax.

So I take it you guys will all be heading down to the local produce section to start stocking up asap? :whistle:

http://www.purewow.com/wellness/Why-Lemons-Are-Better-Than-Xanax

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've tried describing the difference between anxiety and stress using a sports/mathematical metaphor. If I am standing in a ballpark, which is a 90 degree area, using meditation, inhaling lavender, etc., can move me maybe 5-10 degrees. When you are having an acute anxiety attack or are in a withdrawal state, doing those things (smelling lemons, etc.) won't move you enough to get you in the right ballpark. They're helpful preventively or in addition to other things, but they don't get you out of acutely bad states.

Reactions: 1 user
I've tried describing the difference between anxiety and stress using a sports/mathematical metaphor. If I am standing in a ballpark, which is a 90 degree area, using meditation, inhaling lavender, etc., can move me maybe 5-10 degrees. When you are having an acute anxiety attack or are in a withdrawal state, doing those things (smelling lemons, etc.) won't move you enough to get you in the right ballpark. They're helpful preventively or in addition to other things, but they don't get you out of acutely bad states.

Yeah that was kind of my point with this extremely tongue in cheek post. Comparing sniffing lemons to taking a prescribed medication is new age, crunchy granola hyperbole at it's best (or worst as the case may be).

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice... something to try for my patients who have severe allergies to all SSRIs, longer acting benzos, and therapy.

Finally a safe alternative has been found ~ sniffing lemons. Yes, apparently inhaling the scent of lemons or a lemony type scent has been "scientifically' proven to show a significant decrease in people's overall mood disturbance, therefore, Xanax.

So I take it you guys will all be heading down to the local produce section to start stocking up asap? :whistle:

Only after my grant proposal to NCCIH gets funded. Sadly, the odds of that are probably greater than zero.

I'm going to start cleaning my office with lemon pledge.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm going to start cleaning my office with lemon pledge.

Careful, that's just going to result in splitting.

"Doctor, you're the only one who ever makes me feel at ease. All my other doctors are really harsh and make me anxious"

We interrupt this banter session to bring you an important update: The scent of Lemons is also a handy replacement for stimulant medications prescribed in ADHD. This just in...

"Science and research has shown that many moods and negative emotions can be lifted due to the fragrances or scents that are introduced into the environment (proceeds to throw a bunch of important sounding names around without correctly referencing any of this actual science or research)....Citrus scents- (grapefruit, lemon, orange, etc…) invigorating and brightens the mood of a room; uplifting and clean; eliminates anxiety and stress; in a study of lemon scents it caused the biggest drop in mistakes during keyboard typing; helps you concentrate"

(brief serious note here: not actually linking to the blog that quote comes from, it's someone's personal page not a random website)

So the question is...which lemon scent chills you out, and which ones increase your concentration rate, because it'd be awesome for so many 'patients' to know they could replace both their amphetamine and 'I need a benzo to come down from my ADHD medication' scripts in one fell swoop.

Fire up the oil burners everyone, lemon scented everything is going to revolutionise the practice of Psychiatry! :prof:

:shifty:

We interrupt this banter session to bring you an important update: The scent of Lemons is also a handy replacement for stimulant medications prescribed in ADHD. This just in...

"Science and research has shown that many moods and negative emotions can be lifted due to the fragrances or scents that are introduced into the environment (proceeds to throw a bunch of important sounding names around without correctly referencing any of this actual science or research)....Citrus scents- (grapefruit, lemon, orange, etc…) invigorating and brightens the mood of a room; uplifting and clean; eliminates anxiety and stress; in a study of lemon scents it caused the biggest drop in mistakes during keyboard typing; helps you concentrate"

(brief serious note here: not actually linking to the blog that quote comes from, it's someone's personal page not a random website)

So the question is...which lemon scent chills you out, and which ones increase your concentration rate, because it'd be awesome for so many 'patients' to know they could replace both their amphetamine and 'I need a benzo to come down from my ADHD medication' scripts in one fell swoop.

Fire up the oil burners everyone, lemon scented everything is going to revolutionise the practice of Psychiatry! :prof:

:shifty:

Is that like "PCP keeps me calm" that I hear from all my violent frequent flyers in the ED?

I have a lemon verbena air freshener and it's the greatest thing ever. But Pier 1 tells me they no longer sell it :(

I'm going to replace my "peaceful waters" scented wax melt with something more lemony. Might help patients more than my pathetic attempts at getting patients to challenge their irrational cognitions and they won't be able to complain that I don't prescribe either cause the lemons will make them happy!
:soexcited:

I'm kind of surprised we haven't had any lurkers storming into this thread to harangue us over 'Big Pharma' and the conspiracy of western medicine to wage a campaign against alternative therapies. :thinking:

Here's a protip for anyone who is reading along: If a practicing Wiccan is paying the beep out of you, you should probably consider dialling the pseudoscientific 'woo' factor down a notch...or several. :whistle:

I'm kind of surprised we haven't had any lurkers storming into this thread to harangue us over 'Big Pharma' and the conspiracy of western medicine to wage a campaign against alternative therapies. :thinking:

Here's a protip for anyone who is reading along: If a practicing Wiccan is paying the beep out of you, you should probably consider dialling the pseudoscientific 'woo' factor down a notch...or several. :whistle:

I thought about making a sarcastic post about it...

I thought about making a sarcastic post about it...

You'd need to change your avatar to something more suitably 'new age woo' first though. Might I suggest something in the unicorn or fairy range? :=|:-):

:p

You'd need to change your avatar to something more suitably 'new age woo' first though. Might I suggest something in the unicorn or fairy range? :=|:-):

:p

I picked a rather boring username. If I could start over, I'd pick something wonderfully trollish like "DrAndrewWakefieldMD"