Riots across the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the looting, times are tough. But what good does setting cars on fire do?
yes. times are tough let’s steal shoes and tvs. peaceful protests are called for but looting and riots are a waste of taxpayer dollars. arrest them all and deport them. they probably all live off the government they seek to destroy anyway. they are cutting their own throat.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
F the police. Let's burn this fkin disgrace of a country down.

Instead of targeting your own neighborhoods though, go after Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, 5th Ave, and mainly TARGET THE DAMN BANKS.
feel free to leave if you do not like it

I think the bigger picture would be to do the following:

-Stop teaching children that they are the center of the universe and that they can be whatever their heart desires when they grow up.

-teach our children that life is a whole lot tougher than they think it is and that every day will be a struggle to survive.

-stop this non-sense where the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.. I hate to say it but we need an old fashioned redistribution of wealth to expand and secure the middle class.

-with the above in mind, and making the middle class more accessible to the population we can prevent a lot of what we are seeing.
We don’t need to redistribute anything. Middle class is pretty freaking attainable. 1. Don’t get arrested, 2. wait to have kids until you have a stable partner/spouse, 3 graduate high school and keep a job with growth potential or go to any public college and get a degree chosen by likelihood of income

Reactions: 6 users
What is the end game? If one side escalates and some innocent person gets hurt, then what is the next step? What is going to stop it?

Charge the damn officers who were also holding down Floyd. Charge that prick who was just standing around being a smartass "don't do drugs". Charge all the other officers who got away with it in the past with a suspension. Frikking Daniel Pantaleo is still walking around free after murdering Eric Garner.

Better yet, screw due process and give the dirty pigs the same treatment they gave to those men. Take away their due process and hang them in the center of town.

Reactions: 1 users
feel free to leave if you do not like it

Lmao, typical right wing argument. "Don't try to change the country, leave if you don't like it."

The overall problem with the police is that they have too much damn power. Every single law in this country is backed up with the threat of death.

For example, jaywalking. You jaywalk and you get a ticket. You toss the ticket away because I'm not gonna pay a fkin ticket for crossing the street. You don't show up to court, you get a warrant issued. Next time you encounter the police they say you have a warrant and they will be arresting you. You refuse to go, violence is inflicted on you. That is the fkin problem.

Unless there is an actual victim or serious threat of harm, then the police should not be allowed to use deadly force. Person doesn't wanna go to jail, fine, just leave them be.

We don’t need to redistribute anything. Middle class is pretty freaking attainable. 1. Don’t get arrested, 2. wait to have kids until you have a stable partner/spouse, 3 graduate high school and keep a job with growth potential or go to any public college and get a degree chosen by likelihood of income

I almost got arrested at Occupy Wall Street in 2011. Punk ass cops tried to grab me because I was wearing a mask and holding a baseball bat.

Ah Sparda, never change.

But also don't use SDN as a platform to advocate for hanging people in the center of town. So change just a little.

Reactions: 11 users
Lmao, typical right wing argument. "Don't try to change the country, leave if you don't like it."

The overall problem with the police is that they have too much damn power. Every single law in this country is backed up with the threat of death.

For example, jaywalking. You jaywalk and you get a ticket. You toss the ticket away because I'm not gonna pay a fkin ticket for crossing the street. You don't show up to court, you get a warrant issued. Next time you encounter the police they say you have a warrant and they will be arresting you. You refuse to go, violence is inflicted on you. That is the fkin problem.

Unless there is an actual victim or serious threat of harm, then the police should not be allowed to use deadly force. Person doesn't wanna go to jail, fine, just leave them be.
I think most people agree cops have too much power not enough accountability. But you seem like you want anarchy. If you want anarchy go to South America don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Also stop inciting violence against random groups of people more successful than you

Ah Sparda, never change.

But also don't use SDN as a platform to advocate for hanging people in the center of town. So change just a little.

I'm just saying, those cops deserve to have whatever they inflicted on Floyd done to them. Hopefully after they are arrested, they get placed in general population in jail.

I think most people agree cops have too much power not enough accountability. But you seem like you want anarchy. If you want anarchy go to South America don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Also stop inciting violence against random groups of people more successful than you

Not chaotic anarchy as in The Purge. I believe that humans are inherently good and do not need codified law and punishment in order to have a functioning society.

More of social anarchism that results in an egalitarian society.

Not chaotic anarchy as in The Purge. I believe that humans are inherently good and do not need codified law and punishment in order to have a functioning society.

I agree lots of laws are dumb And punishments don’t make sense. Some need harsher punishment and some crimes need less or none. But I was responding more to your wanting to burn stuff down. Which laws need changed are up for grabs but what is going on now is not helping nor will More of it

Members don't see this ad :)

I just disagree. I see that we have reached a point where the forces driving this economy have sucked up so much money (it’s like a money vacuum cleaner) that there is nothing left over. The rich want more and more and the poor/middle class have to keep paying up to get by. Telling someone to not have children and find a spouse so that you can both work is not right.. Some people would like to raise their children with stay at home parents, thisnis almost impossible now.

I disagree that middle class is easily obtainable - living paycheck to paycheck with very little means to reasonably save is not middle class to me. It is the illusion of middle class and the common American is always 1 step away from economic disaster.

I just can not fathom how this Kardashian crowd, for example, has earned such great wealth. This is an anomaly of capitalism that disgusts me. If capitalism was a face - the wealth the kardashians have amassed is the pimple on the face of capitalism. This is the type of wealth that needs to be redistributed and I don’t care how that makes me sound - I just can not be convinced that they somehow deserve this wealth. This is just one example of a massive problem in our economic system. So many have amassed so much excessive wealth that there has been very little left over for the middle class. 30 years ago the middle class was much more wealthy than they are now.

Another problem I see is this shame that is applied to those that responsibly use the term, “redistribution of wealth”. Without getting into to much detail about how I feel I will simply say - I reserve the right to identify and call out gross excessive wealth and the suffering of others to obtain that wealth. If one group gets richer, another group gets poorer, that’s just how it works. The way things are set up now - we will continue to squeeze the middle class like a dish rag until there is nothing left. Right now we are paper thin and it’s just not ok.

My boy Robin Hood got this...

Last edited:
Anarchists aren't going to run **** if society collapses. Maybe fling their ****

I just disagree. I see that we have reached a point where the forces driving this economy have sucked up so much money (it’s like a money vacuum cleaner) that there is nothing left over. The rich want more and more and the poor/middle class have to keep paying up to get by.

I disagree that middle class is easily obtainable - living paycheck to paycheck with very little means to reasonably save is not middle class to me. It is the illusion of middle class and the common American is always 1 step away from economic disaster.

I just can not fathom how this Kardashian crowd, for example, has earned such great wealth. This is an anomaly of capitalism that disgusts me. If capitalism was a face - the wealth the kardashians have amassed is the pimple on the face of capitalism. This is the type of wealth that needs to be redistributed and I don’t care how that makes me sound - I just can not be convinced that they somehow deserve this wealth. This is just one example of a massive problem in our economic system. So many have amassed so much excessive wealth that there has been very little left over for the middle class. 30 years ago the middle class was much more wealthy than they are now.

Another problem I see is this shame that is applied to those that responsibly use the term, “redistribution of wealth”. Without getting into to much detail about how I feel I will simply say - I reserve the right to identify and call out gross excessive wealth and the suffering of others to obtain that wealth. If one group gets richer, another group gets poorer, that’s just how it works. The way things are set up now - we will continue to squeeze the middle class like a dish rag until there is nothing left. Right now we are paper thin and it’s just not ok.
Most businesses gain profit from selling things people want. Business is also not a zero sum game. Not completely disagreeing with other points. You should read the millionaire next door though. People are bad with money which is the biggest reason for social disparities.
Apple is not forcing you to buy iPhones
The kardashians do not force you to watch their show to buy their stuff
Banks don’t force you to take out loans
Facebook is completely optional
Amazon is a choice of many of where to purchase stuff

Reactions: 2 users
I just disagree. I see that we have reached a point where the forces driving this economy have sucked up so much money (it’s like a money vacuum cleaner) that there is nothing left over. The rich want more and more and the poor/middle class have to keep paying up to get by. Telling someone to not have children and find a spouse so that you can both work is not right.. Some people would like to raise their children with stay at home parents, thisnis almost impossible now.

When you can show some theft, I’m fine with the govt making the thief pay restitution. You not thinking a kardasian deserves something doesn’t negate that a lot of people chose to buy their crap and it’s their money...not your concern

The society isn't going to collapse. We have maybe 1% of populace inciting violence.

…no Arts; no Letters; no Society; and, which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. (Leviathan, XIII)

hopefully we won’t have to rebuild any of the destruction they have caused. would hate to reverse any progress they have made

People don’t realize how good we have here. There is a reason why everybody wants to move here.

My family fought in 2 wars. I don’t know if it is genetic but I have this raw energy to defend my family.

"Person doesn't wanna go to jail, fine, just leave them be." So by this argument you believe anyone could commit a non-violent crime with no repercussions?

I agree with you that many police are power-hungry and the system is set up that they can get away with violent crimes. I don't know what it's like to be a police officer.

But then what is your suggestion for enforcing non-violent crimes? If someone refuses to pay a ticket or go to jail, then what? We just leave them be?

Reactions: 3 users
"Person doesn't wanna go to jail, fine, just leave them be." So by this argument you believe anyone could commit a non-violent crime with no repercussions?

I agree with you that many police are power-hungry and the system is set up that they can get away with violent crimes. I don't know what it's like to be a police officer.

But then what is your suggestion for enforcing non-violent crimes? If someone refuses to pay a ticket or go to jail, then what? We just leave them be?

Eh. It’s not even worth trying to convince some people otherwise. They have to live it to get their mind changed. Wait till someone causes property damage and see how you would like not being able to have retribution enforced.

this is what we get when the media makes everyone feel victimized. Minorities feel oppressed and whites feel oppressed. Bad for the country good for views.

I almost got arrested at Occupy Wall Street in 2011. Punk ass cops tried to grab me because I was wearing a mask and holding a baseball bat.

Who were you planning to rob?

...I believe that humans are inherently good and do not need codified law and punishment in order to have a functioning society...
LMAO!!! I wonder if you said this with a straight face

Well, if you want to make Kardashians and Hollywood poor. Stop watching TV, cancel cable subscription, stop going to amusement parks, and stop buying their products

Most businesses gain profit from selling things people want. Business is also not a zero sum game. Not completely disagreeing with other points. You should read the millionaire next door though. People are bad with money which is the biggest reason for social disparities.
Apple is not forcing you to buy iPhones
The kardashians do not force you to watch their show to buy their stuff
Banks don’t force you to take out loans
Facebook is completely optional
Amazon is a choice of many of where to purchase stuff
Well, Banks indirectly force you to take loans. You want to end disparity. Get rid of the Central Bank. Have more independent credit unions

it appears that they looted a Cheesecake Factory.. it is confirmed, these riots have become about getting g something for free.. I have to admit, the first thing I thought about, when it saw this video, was how I feel when I look at the cheesecake prices at the Cheesecake Factory.. That’s a pretty fine score. Almost the price of a decent flatscreen tv.

If you look really close she appears to be carrying some wine glasses and an unknown beverage as well...

it appears that they looted a Cheesecake Factory.. it is confirmed, these riots have become about getting g something for free..

For a few people, yeah. By far the majority of the protestors in my city are peaceful and are cooperating with police and local officials.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

For a few people, yeah. By far the majority of the protestors in my city are peaceful and are cooperating with police and local officials.

Somehow I don’t believe that “by far” the protests are peaceful and cooperating. This would imply that the vast majority is peaceful..

The overwhelming evidence that we see in major cities throughout the country show that there was mass lawlessness and that a great number had very obvious mal-intent.

If the above was not true, our law enforcement institution would not have been overwhelmed in the way that it was. Downtown LA, Chicago, DC, etc etc etc have smashed windows, graffiti everywhere, and random major vandalism. Even worse - violence was rampan. This would not have happened unless the numbers were overwhelming.

Saying that the vast majority are peaceful is simply inaccurate. I understand that there is a peaceful and righteous element to these protests - but somewhere along the line the tides turned and it evolved into riots. As it stands I consider these crowds highly dangerous and unpredictable. This is the unfortunate reality.

Somehow I don’t believe that “by far” the protests are peaceful and cooperating. This would imply that the vast majority is peaceful..

The overwhelming evidence that we see in major cities throughout the country show that there was mass lawlessness and that a great number had very obvious mal-intent.

If the above was not true, our law enforcement institution would not have been overwhelmed in the way that it was. Downtown LA, Chicago, DC, etc etc etc have smashed windows, graffiti everywhere, and random major vandalism. Even worse - violence was rampan. This would not have happened unless the numbers were overwhelming.

Saying that the vast majority are peaceful is simply inaccurate. I understand that there is a peaceful and righteous element to these protests - but somewhere along the line the tides turned and it evolved into riots. As it stands I consider these crowds highly dangerous and unpredictable. This is the unfortunate reality.
Think of the worst case of cancer imaginable. The vast majority of cells in that patient are working properly. You just focus on the tumors. It doesn’t take a big percentage of people to cause widespread chaos and destruction.

Think of the worst case of cancer imaginable. The vast majority of cells in that patient are working properly. You just focus on the tumors. It doesn’t take a big percentage of people to cause widespread chaos and destruction.

I guess all I am saying is; it would take an overwhelming force of people to accomplish what they accomplished. The number certainly was not trivial - even when compared to the total number of peaceful protestors.

Everybody thinks they are a freedom fighter until they hear the first shot.

Everybody thinks they are a freedom fighter until they hear the first shot.

That sounds familiar.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" -Mike Tyson

Depends on what is the crime. If there is no victim, then it's not really a crime. Just because it is illegal, doesn't mean it's immoral.

Example: Eric Garner. He was selling untaxed loose cigarettes on the sidewalk. Big whoop. Apparently, some landlord in the area didn't like men like Garner hanging out on the street in front of his building all day selling cigarettes and filed a complaint with 311, in turn they put pressure on the police department to do something about it.

For a lot of these guys, selling loose cigarettes is a livelihood. You drive to a state like Virginia or go to a Native American reservation to buy cigarettes at low or no tax, then you come back to NYC and sell them for $1 each versus if you go to a store, you have to spend $10+ on pack of cigarettes. This tax was put into place by Bloomberg to get people to quit smoking by making it an expensive habit.

Who was the victim? The state not getting their share of the tax money? The landlord who thinks guys hanging outside drops property value? The convenience store owner who is their competition? It's not something you should have to go to jail for.

Maybe eliminate some of these bull**** laws that only exist to generate revenue.

Another example, say you are walking to work and you apparently fit the description of a suspect. You know you didn't do anything wrong. Police approach you and tell you to freeze and show ID. In my head, my answer to that is "what did I do? am I being detained?". Show too much attitude and next thing you know they tell you to place your hands behind your back. **** that, I'm walking away. Next thing you know they are grabbing you, you're struggling with them, and then you get shot. A lot of poor people in NYC don't even have ID. What does that mean when you fit the description and don't have ID on you? They are probably gonna take you into custody, meanwhile now you are worried about getting to work on time.

Half the time the cops don't even tell you why you've been stopped. If you didn't physically see me do the crime, then you have no basis to inconvenience me. When I was working at the independent pharmacy, I was outside cutting cardboard boxes. 2 random plainclothes cops come up to me and start asking me about my knife, telling me it's illegal, etc. I told them I work in the pharmacy. They only let me go when the tech came outside and said there was a doctor on the phone with a question.

Last edited:
Depends on what is the crime. If there is no victim, then it's not really a crime. Just because it is illegal, doesn't mean it's immoral.

Example: Eric Garner. He was selling untaxed loose cigarettes on the sidewalk. Big whoop. Apparently, some landlord in the area didn't like men like Garner hanging out on the street in front of his building all day selling cigarettes and filed a complaint with 311, in turn they put pressure on the police department to do something about it.

For a lot of these guys, selling loose cigarettes is a livelihood. You drive to a state like Virginia or go to a Native American reservation to buy cigarettes at low or no tax, then you come back to NYC and sell them for $1 each versus if you go to a store, you have to spend $10+ on pack of cigarettes. This tax was put into place by Bloomberg to get people to quit smoking by making it an expensive habit.

Who was the victim? The state not getting their share of the tax money? The landlord who thinks guys hanging outside drops property value? The convenience store owner who is their competition? It's not something you should have to go to jail for.

Maybe eliminate some of these bull**** laws that only exist to generate revenue.

Another example, say you are walking to work and you apparently fit the description of a suspect. You know you didn't do anything wrong. Police approach you and tell you to freeze and show ID. In my head, my answer to that is "what did I do? am I being detained?". Show too much attitude and next thing you know they tell you to place your hands behind your back. **** that, I'm walking away. Next thing you know they are grabbing you, you're struggling with them, and then you get shot. A lot of poor people in NYC don't even have ID. What does that mean when you fit the description and don't have ID on you? They are probably gonna take you into custody, meanwhile now you are worried about getting to work on time.

Half the time the cops don't even tell you why you've been stopped. If you didn't physically see me do the crime, then you have no basis to inconvenience me. When I was working at the independent pharmacy, I was outside cutting cardboard boxes. 2 random plainclothes cops come up to me and start asking me about my knife, telling me it's illegal, etc. I told them I work in the pharmacy. They only let me go when the tech came outside and said there was a doctor on the phone with a question.

I generally dislike taxes because as a libertarian I don’t want the govt doing most the things tje taxes fund. You just proposed a society where taxes largely disappear or become optional. Is that your intention?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not going to waste too much time arguing since you've obviously already made up your mind. However, I stand by my statement and would agree that the vast majority of protesters were peaceful. At least in my city, though I suspect that the same is true for most of the protests across the country.

Even a peaceful protest, especially one this size, will spread the police thin. It doesn't take a large group of rioters to do a lot of damage. That doesn't change the fact that the majority are there peacefully and complying with police directives.

I generally dislike taxes but as a libertarian I don’t want the govt doing most the things tje taxes fund. You just proposed a society where taxes largely disappear or become optional. Is that your intention?

Depends if we're talking about building a brand new society from scratch or improving on what we have. If we're talking realistically about improving society, I'm talking about things like vice taxes that are unnecessary. If we wanna keep the roads, EMS, hospitals, medicare, etc then we need income taxes, property taxes, estate taxes, capital gain taxes, etc, etc.

Now if we're talking about building a new society, I'm talking about employee owned collectives, food banks, etc.

I'm not going to waste too much time arguing since you've obviously already made up your mind. However, I stand by my statement and would agree that the vast majority of protesters were peaceful. At least in my city, though I suspect that the same is true for most of the protests across the country.

Even a peaceful protest, especially one this size, will spread the police thin. It doesn't take a large group of rioters to do a lot of damage. That doesn't change the fact that the majority are there peacefully and complying with police directives.

From what I saw in NYC last night.

The protest marches through an area. There are stragglers who are clearly just there for the violence, looting, and vandalism who don't follow the protest and cause mayhem in the original staging area.

Depends if we're talking about building a brand new society from scratch or improving on what we have. If we're talking realistically about improving society, I'm talking about things like vice taxes that are unnecessary. If we wanna keep the roads, EMS, hospitals, medicare, etc then we need income taxes, property taxes, estate taxes, capital gain taxes, etc, etc.

Now if we're talking about building a new society, I'm talking about employee owned collectives, food banks, etc.
Appreciate the answer

So let me get this straight, people are absolutely destroying different areas across the US but they still want the government to give out another stimulus check in July?

So let me get this straight, people are absolutely destroying different areas across the US but they still want the government to give out another stimulus check in July?

Yup and they'll want free healthcare after getting Covid-19 from these riots. And their student loans forgiven, and free college for their kids.

Last edited:
This is why I live North of the turnpike. I ain't been South of the turnpike in months. You go South of the turnpike, it can turn into Mad Max at the drop of a hat.

The percentage of people getting stimulus checks that are also looting is probably an incredibly small number. Also, the economy will probably collapse without it.

I love the idea that police shouldn’t be able to inconvenience people unless they personally witnessed the crime. Basically just don’t have cops investigate crimes at that point, right?

The percentage of people getting stimulus checks that are also looting is probably an incredibly small number. Also, the economy will probably collapse without it.

I actually think every single person doing the looting is getting a stimulus check.

I love the idea that police shouldn’t be able to inconvenience people unless they personally witnessed the crime. Basically just don’t have cops investigate crimes at that point, right?

They need to do a better job explaining to the person what they are doing. The execution of these stops is complete bull**** in a lot of jurisdictions. No politeness. "No excuse me sir, could you please stop, you fit the description of a suspect we're looking for, could you please provide ID", it's more like "YO, YOU STOP RIGHT THERE. KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS. WHERE'S YOUR ID?" Meanwhile the guy is like "what did you stop me for? what's the problem? I'm not doing **** until you tell me what's going on. Don't grab me. Next thing you know they are accusing you of resisting arrest and a beat down ensues. This sort of attitude the cops bring, they only tend to bring it when it's a minority male.

There is a process in place where if they stopped someone and it turned out that they weren't who they are looking for, they have to apologize and provide a business card to submit a complaint, but a lot of times especially in urban neighborhoods in high-crime areas, the cops aren't professional about it. Instead of saying "sorry we stopped you, here's a business card if you would like to file a complaint" it ends up being getting uncuffed and the cops drive off.

Like it's sad that the ACLU has to make a video like this to explain to people about interactions with the police. Like its natural instinct for someone to ask why they are being stopped? what have they done wrong? The police officer should be providing information about the stop before demanding identification.

The police need to better understand about fight, flight, freeze response. I've had a cop pull a gun on me at the beginning of a traffic stop. I was driving around, I got pulled over, cop gets out of his car and has his gun drawn and is hiding behind the door. Next thing I hear the cop on the radio saying something that sounds blurred so I don't understand it. For me, seeing a gun drawn at me triggered a freeze response where I couldn't really process what was going on. I hear some more blurred talking, then eventually after like 20-30 seconds, I hear "driver, step out of car, place your hands behind your head and step backwards towards me".

When I walk back, he asks me for my ID which I provide and he asks me why I didn't step out the first time he was talking, I tell him I didn't understand what he was saying until the 4th time he asked. What was the reason I got stopped? Apparently, my car matched the description of a fleeing suspect's car.

Last edited:

I don’t, “already have my mind made up”. And I’m not really arguing with anyone. I’m just trying to explain how I sees it is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.