RIP PCSOM...Long Live PCSoM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOSouthpaw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

DOSouthpaw said:
With the chair of OPP Dr. Stiles now reduced to listening to jazz in his office and not allowed to lecture, the Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine is now being renamed the Pikeville College School of Medicine. So please reduce the capital "O" in our abbeviation to a more suitable lowercase "o".

All perspective students be warned this is no longer an osteopathic school....actually besides pharm, I really don't know what they teach over there anymore.. certainly not basic sciences...and now, no Osteopathy either.

RIP PCSOM....I'm glad I knew ya.
Amen to that. In a matter of one week PCSOM has gone from a true Osteopathic school to a subpar medical school. I thank God for the year i had and any info i can still glean from a man who's vision seems to be too much for others to handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is sortof confusing. What exactly happened? I had considered this a school i wanted to apply to?

What happened?

Yeah I'm sort of confused to. Will someone who knows what they are talking about please elaborate on the situation so the rest of us will know what you are talking about!

dcratamt said:
Amen to that. In a matter of one week PCSOM has gone from a true Osteopathic school to a subpar medical school. I thank God for the year i had and any info i can still glean from a man who's vision seems to be too much for others to handle.

If all that was changed was the OMM and it becomes a sub-par allo medical school, chances are that it was a sub-par osteo medical school.

But on the broader scale can you tell us what is going on?

Cindy Sheehan was protesting outside the school. Says her son died because the school rejected him, so he joined the military. So they changed their name, hoping she wouldn't be able to find the campus anymore...she'd demanding we pull out the mcat from admissions from now on and just admit based on a letter from mommy.

:D

JohnnyOU said:
Cindy Sheehan was protesting outside the school. Says her son died because the school rejected him, so he joined the military. So they changed their name, hoping she wouldn't be able to find the campus anymore...she'd demanding we pull out the mcat from admissions from now on and just admit based on a letter from mommy.

:D
So I'm guessing that was a joke... but I dont get it :(

Anyone else want to explain the situation?

What happened?

dr.z said:

There is a new OPP teacher for 1st and 2nd year. Many people are not happy about the change. The new person has a different style of teaching and a different approach to OPP. The other teacher is still here, but is now working at the hospital most of the time.

E-

DOSouthpaw said:
With the chair of OPP Dr. Stiles now reduced to listening to jazz in his office and not allowed to lecture, the Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine is now being renamed the Pikeville College School of Medicine. So please reduce the capital "O" in our abbeviation to a more suitable lowercase "o".

All perspective students be warned this is no longer an osteopathic school....actually besides pharm, I really don't know what they teach over there anymore.. certainly not basic sciences...and now, no Osteopathy either.

RIP PCSOM....I'm glad I knew ya.
w/ leech gone as well, it has become quite the tragedy.

DOSouthpaw said:
"The other teacher is still here, but is now working at the hospital most of the time."

I'd like to know what he does at the hospital because he's not ever over there and when I talked to him he told me that the "chair" did not want him working with the fellows and 3rd/4th years at the hospital. :mad:

Easy now, I was just passing on what I was told. If I didn’t get it right I apologize, were all at the same school here, lets stick together.

E-

Members don't see this ad :)
eadysx said:
Easy now, I was just passing on what I was told. If I didn’t get it right I apologize, were all at the same school here, lets stick together.

E-
your essentially correct. just the person he is gonna be working with at the hospital hasn't arrived yet and hence the jazz music.

Shodddy18 said:
Sounds like a craptacular situation...
you wanna see craptacular.......type in Edward G. Stiles DO into google and take a look at the resume. Then imagine that he is sitting at your school about 20ft from where you sit all day but he can't teach you. That's craptacular.

1) I find this thread topic interesting but also a bit confusing-can someone provide facts opposed to rumor? The OP made it actually seem like the DO school was changing to MD....which appears now to be a misstatement/exaggeration.

2) The Cindy Sheehan thing was in poor taste/humor-

3) Ed Stiles is a great teacher/osteopath-I have attending several of his talks

dcratamt said:
you wanna see craptacular.......type in Edward G. Stiles DO into google and take a look at the resume. Then imagine that he is sitting at your school about 20ft from where you sit all day but he can't teach you. That's craptacular.

....Yup.... thats why I called it a craptacular situation...

dcratamt said:

Yeah google your own name, it comes up on the pc website too...

By the way Leech was a nice guy but we didn't learn too much from being given the test questions...a trained monkey could pass a test like that...

You get a great Pharm, Micro, immuno, anatomy, neuro, biochem and clinical skills. No one is making you stay at this school, if you don't like it...leave. I make you this promise though; it's the same all over, most likely worse. PCSOM is still a quality Osteopathic medical school which has unfortunately undergone a premature changing of the guard's. I will still further my knowledge of OP&P according to a principle I learned from my 2 years with Dr. Stiles. He took what he learned from Wilson, Laughlin, Kimberly, etc and made his own approach to osteopathic manipulation. Consider doing the same and not trying to be mini-stiles’. I do wish I had more one-on-one time with Dr. Stiles don't get me wrong, but I don't spend my spare time whining online about the events that have transpired. I take the time to learn more about OP&P, not lament over what might have been. It's you people who are taking sides with Dr. Stiles or Dr. Litman that are causing the problems right now. What would you do if you had the chance to pick Newton and Einstein's brains? just pick one? I'm not saying either is comparable but consider learning what both has to offer...stop being closed minded

Shodddy18, if you care about osteopathy so much why don't you change your MSII to what it should be...OMSII...

At my osteopathic school, I am referred to as a MS-1 (this is the schools practice, not the students). My white coat says "Student Physician," not "Osteopathic Student Physician." We are ALL medical students, we are all going to be doctors, I just don't get the big deal with the letters behind your name (wether as a medical student or a physician).

Then again, my initials are and will be my rank--so maybe my persepctive is a bit different.

My schools asks that we use an OMSx format

kernalzero said:
My schools asks that we use an OMSx format
Karnalzero,

you may have valid argument. But come on you just started this username today. How serious can we take you. If you are a regular user, then you should just stick with that. If you are a member of the school and have nothing else to do then listen to people complaining on the net.. then maybe you should find better ways to improve your school.

Plus a medical student is a medical student is a medical student. All the time osteopathic profession argued to change the name from Osteopathic school to Osteopathic medical school and from Osteopath to Osteopathic Physician... all of that was for a reason. To be taken as an equal to allo physicians. So give up that crap about putting OMS1.2.3.4.

This is what turns me off this profession.

OOOOhhhh the prof tells you the exam question... wowoowowow.. so you can study and memorize the answer to put it in that brain of yours. SO WHAT. That is an effective learning strategy.

docbill said:
Karnalzero,

you may have valid argument. But come on you just started this username today. How serious can we take you. If you are a regular user, then you should just stick with that. If you are a member of the school and have nothing else to do then listen to people complaining on the net.. then maybe you should find better ways to improve your school.

Plus a medical student is a medical student is a medical student. All the time osteopathic profession argued to change the name from Osteopathic school to Osteopathic medical school and from Osteopath to Osteopathic Physician... all of that was for a reason. To be taken as an equal to allo physicians. So give up that crap about putting OMS1.2.3.4.

This is what turns me off this profession.

OOOOhhhh the prof tells you the exam question... wowoowowow.. so you can study and memorize the answer to put it in that brain of yours. SO WHAT. That is an effective learning strategy.

This coming from someone with 1000+ posts? perhaps you should consider doing something else with your time. This is my 3rd year in medical school and my what? 4th post...and to be honest I couldn't give a $h!t what is after anyone's name...my concern is this thread and what it has to do with my school...

and about memorizing answers...I'd rather understand something than memorize it. It's not helpful long term when you can go in and fill out a scantron from memory without looking at the questions in under a minute...you don't learn like that...

Docbill....UNECOM 2010? so you aren't even a student yet? I'd find something better to do than this propaganda tool before you start

Don't get ticked off... it would just please me way too much!

It is a valid medium for airing your opinion. If you wish to do it that is fine.

but the fact remains.

Your username was created TODAY. Mine was creater well over a year ago. HENCE THE 1000+ posts.

You are picking on somone who puts MS instead of OMS.
DrMOM puts MS4. Nononono... Now are you going to attack that.

If you disagree... as an MS3.. oh sorry OMS3 you should be able to type up a valid counter argument and defend your school. BUT if you would rather be childish.. then...

kernalzero said:
This coming from someone with 1000+ posts? perhaps you should consider doing something else with your time. This is my 3rd year in medical school and my what? 4th post...and to be honest I couldn't give a $h!t what is after anyone's name...my concern is this thread and what it has to do with my school...

and about memorizing answers...I'd rather understand something than memorize it. It's not helpful long term when you can go in and fill out a scantron from memory without looking at the questions in under a minute...you don't learn like that...

OK, first of all....Well I have never seen anyone use OMS instead of MS... I guess I was just following the rest of the flock. Why dont you use it if your school asks you to?

Second, I dont go to your school... I was bored in class, read the post and said it sounds like a crappy situation... Maybe you know something that I dont?

Lastly... It sounds like you are under too much stress... take a deep breath... In with the good and out with the bad. Just relax, we are all in the same boat.

Ok I understand your perspective...I don't have 'street credit' in this channel and I don't plan on making posting here part of my daily life. No offense intended to shodddy18 or docbill. I did recently learn other DO school's than PCSOM use MS instead of OMS...whatever, I thought OMS was the standard, I'm not trying to draw lines between MD's & DO's. We all treat people. and Stress? I passed step 1 and moved on to an OP&P fellowship year, it was a good day. I'm under very little stress at this point I'm just annoyed with these people that don't know all the facts or have heard them incorrectly.

Dr. Stiles was assigned to build a FP plus 1 program over at the hospital for Jennifer Parsley who comes here in october. He's been sitting in his office rather than doing that. Don't get me wrong he's a great guy and teacher but I think he's 'licking his wounds' and listening to music after his resignation backfired. for those who don't know, which is probably many of you, he's done this twice before each time Dr. Stro turned down his letter...this time he went over Dr. Stro to College Pres Hal Smith...he accepted it as you can tell...

well thats upsetting.

So what I want to know from the people who are there; Is it that bad you would suggest not applying? Or do you think this is just a transition period?

docbill said:
you should be able to type up a valid counter argument and defend your school

The school does not need to be defended. They had a personal change, not a massive crisis. They still hold class, the still teach OPP and they still give out DO degrees to those who finish the program. Let’s not get carried away here.

E-

Mike MacKinnon said:
So what I want to know from the people who are there; Is it that bad you would suggest not applying? Or do you think this is just a transition period?

If you want to be a doctor, by all means apply here. I am happy to be here, and given the option, would do it again.

E-

I agree 100% with eadysx. I added an extra year to my education to stay here and learn more OP&P before going out on rotations (just watching the debt interest grow :D ) Apply by all means, I've been glad I did for 2 years. Just remember all schools have their problems. I will walk out of here and not feel like I know everything about OP&P, but rather walk out confident I understand enough to effectively treat patients both medically and osteopathically. You get like Ed G. by practice, palpation and reasoning, not by diffusion because you are in his presense. goodluck applying, might even see you during an interview

PCSOM students- go download dr. stiles' old lecture notes off titan...they are still on there, use them as a supplement like you would Savarese or greenman

Mike MacKinnon said:
well thats upsetting.

The school has good physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, micro, gross anatomy courses. The school has been traditionally weak in embryology, histology and pathology but has hired a histologist and possibly a new path professor. Problem is these situations change from year to year and employee longevity seems to be a problem. If you were coming to the school because of the strong OPP dept, .......well i think you get the idea.

dcratamt is right about the employee longevity but from what I understand that seems to be a problem with most of the schools. any comments from the other schools out there??

Dr Stiles and Dr Litman cannot compare to Einstein and Newton. So there is no question of picking anyone.

My GOD!! I leave for internship and the whole place turns to crap. Stiles is great teacher but I imagine that his mouth wrote a check that his butt couldn't cash. I would bet that whatever he did, it was justified. I have discussed many PCSOM issues with him and he is pretty frank about how he feels. I usually agree with his opinion though.

Also, a great physician recently resigned at Pikeville Medical Center as well. Hopefully he will still teach at the school.

When it rains, it pours!!

Someone please provide more details about this situation. If not here, PM me.

Veer said:
Dr Stiles and Dr Litman cannot compare to Einstein and Newton. So there is no question of picking anyone.
So true... Einstein and Newton lacked palpatory skill. ;)

Well we just had our first OPP test and it was a friggin disaster. :eek: I am ready for Stiles' return.

The test was horrible, worst ever I have taken in my life. I would say it was anything but OPP. :mad: At this point, I am not learning anything in class, in lab or from the exam. Even if I pass the exam, it is just pure luck. Even memorization would not help in the 1st OPP exam, it was that bad. Dr Litman said in class that he does not ask manuchia, but ironically, it was just that !!!!!

I feel at present PCSOM is even below other DO schools.

I want Dr Stiles back. I pray that concerned people understand the graveness of the situation, forget personal differences and things return as to they were last year.

The exam is definitely a disaster. After manipulation of grades, still many students have failed.

Yohimbine said:
The exam is definitely a disaster. After manipulation of grades, still many students have failed.
Nice user name

as a second year here at pcsom i am disgusted. as others have stated, the test was the worst i have ever taken. not only that, i learned zilch in lab and had to withstand the most boring, irrelevant lectures. stiles needs to come back quickly to salvage the program. opp has become not only a hurdle like several of the courses here but has become like the lottery insofar as grading is concerned- i.e. take your best guess on the exam and hope you pass. we need to stick together as a class on this, at least those of us who care about our grades and our osteopathic education and take it to the administration. we are each paying a lot to attend and it is high time we stand up and refuse to get ripped off like this.

honestpolicy said:
opp has become not only a hurdle like several of the courses here but has become like the lottery insofar as grading is concerned- i.e. take your best guess on the exam and hope you pass. we need to stick together as a class on this...

I agree wholeheartedly.

Maybe I should have created a new sdn username so that no one will know who I really am????

jawicobike said:
I agree wholeheartedly.

Maybe I should have created a new sdn username so that no one will know who I really am????
So are you agreeing or are you being sarcastic?

jawicobike said:
I agree wholeheartedly.

Yeah me too, i think everyone knows who i am but i still believe that it is a shame to have one of the best OPP profs sitting in his office bc administration won't let him run his own program. It's a bunch of horse****!

I think the class is beginning to realize how horrible and disgusting OPP at PCSOM has become. The class, as a whole, needs to give a signed petition to the concerned authorities to have Dr Stiles back. Its not too late yet. Dr Stiles can still start teaching HVLA and finish it next semester. Cranial is not a big course.

dcratamt said:
Nice user name

I like the name. The avatar and the name go along perfectly well. I have a suggestion for you. you might want to change your username to White Mamba and get the picture from funny-pictures.com as your avatar.

honestpolicy said:
So are you agreeing or are you being sarcastic?

both...I do agree with the statements made concerning the class. I think it's counterproductive to create a new username to debate (or complain as the case may be) the issue.

At any rate I don't see much that can be done about the current situation. This isn't a democracy here and I can't remember hearing too many stories where the man in charge sided with the students over his choice of department head.