Rising Junior Applying to MedStart at well known school (3.96cgpa 3.93sgpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4lax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising junior at a small liberal arts private school in the midwest that is well known for its pre-med. I am applying to an MD school in Ohio that offers rising juniors acceptance into their program without taking the MCAT spring of junior year. The program is fairly competitive, and instead of an MCAT score, the school uses ACT scores. The average gpa and ACT score of accepted students is 3.8-3.9 and a 29. I received a 28 on my ACT from highschool and my gpa is at the average. I just wanted some advice on if these programs are worthwhile and if I am limiting my self if I do become accepted. I plan to start studying for the MCAT next spring regardless to apply next cycle if I am not admitted.
Side note: Im not looking to go to a hopkins or harvard, just somewhere that I can study medicine and not have a crazy debt load by the time I graduate. This school happens to offer great scholarships, which is another big motivator.

Some background info:
-Bio major chem minor
-Have volunteered over 500+ hours in a clinical setting (ER, Surgical, PEDS)
-Have shadowed around 50 hours
-Student athlete at a competitive sports program (Received 1st team all conference accolades if it matters)
-Mentor for healthcare institute at my school
-Manage the volunteering activities of all 21 sports team at my college(We won an award for having 2100+ hours last year)
-Have done/will continue to do organic chem research (6th Author on paper being published soon)
-Did clinic research auditing for a research division of a large hospital
-Member of a social fraternity (Gotta have fun to :cool: )

Pros about the program:
-Close to home
-Can save money applying/interviewing/taking class for mcat.
-Less stress about being accepted to the schools I apply to.
-Great school that matches well into the specialties I am looking at
-Good scholarships

Cons:
-Not sure if I am limiting myself if I do not look at other schools.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance!
-

Members don't see this ad.

dude (or dudette) if you can get in (which may be iffy considering in the past 7 years 4 of those years have had ACTs of 30 including 2013) then youre in, and going to med school. Seriously do it and MD is MD. If you dont get in then you know what you gotta do instead

(also your GPA is a bit above the average, so thats a plus)

dude (or dudette) if you can get in (which may be iffy considering in the past 7 years 4 of those years have had ACTs of 30 including 2013) then youre in, and going to med school. Seriously do it and MD is MD. If you dont get in then you know what you gotta do instead

(also your GPA is a bit above the average, so thats a plus)

During highschool, I used to hate standardized testing, but now just being in college I have matured as a student. I am actually liking it now. I wonder if 2 act points really makes a difference. And I think that is 50th percentile so there must be people applying and getting accepted with lower than that but we'll find out :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
During highschool, I used to hate standardized testing, but now just being in college I have matured as a student. I am actually liking it now. I wonder if 2 act points really makes a difference. And I think that is 50th percentile so there must be people applying and getting accepted with lower than that but we'll find out :rolleyes:

yea no doubt, and considering the ACT was a long time ago for the people applying to this program im sure its just one fact the adcom looks at. all your ECs and your grades will do you well.

yea no doubt, and considering the ACT was a long time ago for the people applying to this program im sure its just one fact the adcom looks at. all your ECs and your grades will do you well.

Thank you! And I hope so.

Just a good old healthy bump!

A bump to get more compliments? I think you got your answers to questions that you knew the answers to in the first place. I don't know if I was just put off by your wording or what but it looks like you are just fishing for compliments...I mean you came up with one con..obviously you want to do it.