Rising M3, urology applicant. With the possibility of no away rotations this year, what should I be doing instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted648625

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll definitely want to do your home rotation. Any exposure you can get to the field potentially helps letters and your chances of matching, especially at your home program.

I wouldn't consider any other rotations to "prepare" you for residency, but I did take a radiology rotation and found it pretty interesting and helpful.

I bet that away rotations still happen, they'll just be later and you might only do 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. Plan for always, get everything set up, etc even though it may not end up happening. One of the functions of aways is to demonstrate real interest in a program. If you set up a rotation there, even if it gets cancelled, you’ve accomplished that. If you find yourself with extra downtime due to rotation cancellations, great time to get involved in research, especially health services/database type that can be done from home.

Reactions: 1 users