Risky ECs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Buckeye3, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Buckeye3

Pre-Medical
    Hey, just a quick question about ECs. I played in bands throughout college in bars and other venues but this seems like it might be a little risky to put as an EC. Just need some opinions. Plus, this and some other ECs of mine lack any person of reference to put on the application. Along with this band experience, I taught guitar lessons for 2 years (but not through a company) and therefore I am the reference point. How do I handle this? I would leave it off altogether but these things took up a lot of time could potentially be a good thing to make my app a little more unique. Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Put it in. Any EC that distinguishes you from other premeds is a good EC (barring prostitution, drug dealing, etc.).

You're going to find that this EC will produce more questions during your interview than your 250 hours in the ER. Seriously.

Put down a bandmates name/number. they almost never check these things anyway, and almost certainly won't for a band.

4. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I toured with a band, I am putting it on there, and the Adcoms I have talked to about it say it really will set me apart and make me more memorable.

5. doomknight

doomknight Bing

i wish i had that as an EC, put it on! it's great.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    I know quite a few folks in med school who play(ed) in bands. i suspect they all listed it. Unless your band has a really offensive name or is known for biting the heads off small animals during your gigs or stuff like that.

7. Buckeye3

Pre-Medical
    Ha ha, alright well I appreciate all the enthusiastic responses. What about the guitar lessons dilemma? Not quite sure how to select a person of reference, could just be someone I taught in the past but that's another odd situation if they do by chance contact the person. Makes me wish I just would have done it through a guitar store...

8. doomknight

doomknight Bing

I wouldn't list the lesson thing. You can bring it up at the interview. Any person can claim to have taught lessons, not saying that you are lying. The band thing should be more than enough to show your music stuff, then you can go in more detail about the lessons at interview

9. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I believe you can decline to provide contact information. This is one of those situations where it might just be easier to leave the fields blank or put (self employed). I think they can just as easily discuss it with you in an interview to verify that you actually did it.

As for Risky EC's I thought this was going to be about dangerous EC's like Amateur Cobra Dentistry or the like.

10. dienekes88

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely put it on!

11. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    The only way they would doubt that you actually taught guitar lessons would be if you had an interviewer who knew a lot about guitars and could tell that you didn't know the first thing about guitars. Go ahead and list it. Most of the time, they just take your word for it on ECs. Like everyone else has been saying, it's interesting, you obviously didn't do it "because all the other pre-meds are doing it," so it's a good thing.

Just maybe leave off the venues you played at if they have "XXX" in the name or something to that effect...don't want to go the way of that judge in the 9th circuit in Cali.

12. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    Giving private lessons is a lot like tutoring. There is no expectation that you'd have a contact name & # to provide so just leave it blank. You got good advice here & I would concur with the previous posters.

13. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon

Attending Physician
    :thumbup::thumbup:

Being in a band is awesome, it well set you apart from the thousands of ER volunteers, patient transporters, pre-med club officers, and EMTs out there.

14. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane

Resident [Any Field]
    I certainly hope so :)