1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

risky or not

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by desidr, Jul 31, 2006.

1. desidr

desidr Member
    2+ Year Member

i have a lot of experience in cardiology. many summers research, and i've shadowed and worked for cardiologists. i have a very strong desire to continue to pursue cardiology research, and am pretty certain this is what i will end up doing. do you think saying that i am highly excited by the field of cardiology and seek to continue the research i have been so heavily involved in will be looked upon favorably by med schools? or will they say hey this kid is premature he hasnt even experienced anything yet, how does he know.

i mean, come on, PhD applicants in their senior year in college base their decisions to purse stuff as specific as COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE on only a few summers of research and maybe a thesis, and they're doin that for the rest of my life, so i feel like there should be no reason for med schools to doubt the fire that burns within me, but on the same token, i feel like they do anyway.

discuss.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Great... i wish I had that much direction entering medical school. However, you will be learning a great deal about all different parts of the body. Don't lock yourself in just yet.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should say you are currently interested, but are keeping an open mind. You don't know anything about all the other choices yet. Some folks will see this as bad news, particularly if the school does a better job putting people into eg primary care than into the IM subspecialties.

5. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    as usual. i agree with law2doc. i think htey want people with an open mind.

6. chewsnuffles

chewsnuffles is a series of tubes
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Anecdotal evidence, but I shadowed a cardiologist (cath lab kind of guy, forget what the exact name is) and he always knew he wanted to be a cardiologist. Its an awsome job, I wouldn't nix it off my list by any means either. He did research in it too, funny, maybe theres just something about people and a facination with the heart...

7. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. Even if you think about it completely honestly without regard to what looks good, you may find that another field is way cooler than cardiology. Personally, I like neuro right now, but that's most of what I've been exposed to, the reason I like it is that I would probably enjoy pretty much anything medical, but I have the most experience with neuro. Till I go through rotations and sample it all I won't really know what's best for me.