RN Average Salaries Across States: Unadjusted and Adjusted by Cost of Living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisconsindoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So where are all of the nurses making a 6 figure income that people talk about on here?

http://www.ga.unc.edu/NCCN/research/quickfacts/Salary%20Adjustment%20Table.htm

Members don't see this ad.

What do they mean by "average"? Mean, median? In either case, you are going to have a 5 figure average because most (more than 50%) of nurses make less than a 6 figure salary per year.

Annual wages for full-time workers or are part-time workers included as well? (nursing is well known for having part-time and per diem workers)

Does annual income include overtime and bonuses? Some of the most publicized six figure earners in nursing are working insane hours (someone at Cook County Hospital was reported to be working 80 hours/wk).

Just because the average nurse doesn't make six figures doesn't mean that some don't. Likewise, some physicians make >$500,000 but that is not reflected when one looks at average physician salary by state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe an NP generally makes six figures as well; however, I've never heard of an RN making six figures.

Why does it even matter?:idea:

I believe an NP generally makes six figures as well; however, I've never heard of an RN making six figures.

Why does it even matter?:idea:

my mom received her w2s a few weeks ago, and since i help with taxes, i got to peek - she earned $215,000 last year as a clinical nurse. she also works anywhere between 70-80 hrs a week, and lives in san francisco where RNs usually start at $80k.

A] NYS, a friend of mine graduating this year has been offered a job starting at $65k, with guarantee of 125k after 5 years, plus full loan forgiveness [this is NOT NOT NOT NYC]. Neither of these salaries include overtime compensation, and from what friend has said, s/he [for anonymity] is likely to hit $80k+ first year alone.
B] I didn't read the entire article/ table, but is that average for nurses with both 2 and 4 year degrees (as opposed to nurse salaries following 4 year degrees only).

my mom received her w2s a few weeks ago, and since i help with taxes, i got to peek - she earned $215,000 last year as a clinical nurse. she also works anywhere between 70-80 hrs a week, and lives in san francisco where RNs usually start at $80k.

I agree-Bay Area nurses make well into the 6 figures. New grads start at $40 an hour. Most of these new grad nurses do not even have a bachelors degree. I work as a staff nurse in Berkeley, CA and make ~$60 an hour.