RN beginning post-bacc, wanting some honest advice/opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ans_RN23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am just wanting some honest opinions and advice on my chances of getting into an MD school, and about my situation in general.
About me:
23 years old
I'm an RN at a top academic hospital in the medical ICU.
Graduated with my BSN 1 year ago with a cumulative 3.16.
Always wanted to do medicine, but let insecurities and what not get the best of me. My boyfriend is a physician and I work closely with physicians. My interest in medicine has nagged me more and more by the day for the past year or two. I thought about doing CRNA or DNP, but I have come to face the reality that I will probably always wonder "what if..." or be dissatisfied if I don't do the MD route. I want the autonomy, responsibility, in-depth knowledge, etc.
I am starting pre-reqs this term. Waiting to be accepted to a post-bacc premed program at a university with a top medical school. I will only be working part-time (24h per week)
Currently starting research work with 2 physicians on my unit.

Fall 15: Gen Chem 1 and Precalculus
Spring 16: Gen Chem 2 and Calculus
Summer 16: Physics 1/2
Fall 16: O Chem 1 and Cell Bio
Spring 17: O Chem 2 and biochem; start studying for MCAT
Early summer 17: Take MCAT, apply to schools

Plan to also do volunteer work.

Wanting some honest opinions of my likelihood of getting into an MD school.
There is also a wrench being thrown into my plan as my boyfriend will be going somewhere (unknown right now where) for fellowship in Summer '17. Hoping to get into an MD school near his place of fellowship work (I might be dreaming).
Thoughts and advice majorly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you're doing a formal post-bacc? Does it have linkage? You can take classes on your own for less than a formal program costs, and it's just as legit.

Your cumulative is a bit low. How does the trend look over your college career? What's your BCPM GPA right now?

Make sure whatever Biology you took during nursing will count as a pre-req. Some schools separate a biology for science majors and a biology for non-science majors. Make sure you have at least three, preferably six, hours of writing-intensive English courses. Make sure you have a few semesters' worth of humanities (psych, sociology, philosophy, arts, etc).

Taking both physics in one summer is not a good idea.

Don't stake your dreams on getting into a school near your boyfriend. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but it's reality. If he gets a fellowship in a state that has, for example, only one OOS-friendly school that doesn't match your stats, your chances drop dramatically. You're going to have to apply broadly no matter what, so please keep that in mind now.

Reactions: 1 user
All I can say is that your plans are sound, but trying to figure "likelihood of getting into med school" is impossible at this point in time.

Wanting some honest opinions of my likelihood of getting into an MD school.
There is also a wrench being thrown into my plan as my boyfriend will be going somewhere (unknown right now where) for fellowship in Summer '17. Hoping to get into an MD school near his place of fellowship work (I might be dreaming).
Thoughts and advice majorly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason you're doing a formal post-bacc? Does it have linkage? You can take classes on your own for less than a formal program costs, and it's just as legit.

Your cumulative is a bit low. How does the trend look over your college career? What's your BCPM GPA right now?

Make sure whatever Biology you took during nursing will count as a pre-req. Some schools separate a biology for science majors and a biology for non-science majors. Make sure you have at least three, preferably six, hours of writing-intensive English courses. Make sure you have a few semesters' worth of humanities (psych, sociology, philosophy, arts, etc).

Taking both physics in one summer is not a good idea.

Don't stake your dreams on getting into a school near your boyfriend. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but it's reality. If he gets a fellowship in a state that has, for example, only one OOS-friendly school that doesn't match your stats, your chances drop dramatically. You're going to have to apply broadly no matter what, so please keep that in mind now.
This program does have linkage, one to Case Western (no taking the MCAT with this linkage) and one to U of Michigan. I may attempt to apply via the Case one.
I just started taking pre-med classes so I don't really know my BCPM GPA, I did take A&P 1 and 2 and some math classes in undergrad, so I'll have to calculate that. I'm hoping to get my cGPA to a 3.5-3.6 after all post-bacc classes with a sGPA >3.7.
I know I don't have a lot of info yet to be able to even determine if I will be a competitive applicant. I'm going to try my best, try for all A's in these classes, study hard for the MCAT.
I really hope to be competitive enough to be able to get accepted into one or two MD schools on the first try. At this point, I'm looking at schools that best match my potential/ probable stats and background/ experience. Just trying to achieve some level of sanity so I can stop worrying so much.

A few bits to think about.

Generally from a 3.16 you can't take premed advice from premeds or med students or residents or docs or the vast majority of premed advisers. If a med student or resident discloses that they were in that kind of shape before med school, fine, but generally they have absolutely no idea how to advise you. You cannot use the normal premed yardstick. At all.

It's not mathematically possible to get the GPAs you're hoping for from a 3.16. 3 years of full time 4.0 work would max you at about 3.5.

Generally from a 3.16 it's not a good idea to bet on suddenly getting straight A's as if by magic. Turning yourself into a 4.0 student may require you to endure some major sacrifices and painful character development. I speak from personal, excruciating experience. Point being, don't dive into the prereqs before getting an A in one reasonably hard math or science class.

Unfortunately good formal postbacs that offer linkages aren't interested in students who have yet to prove they can get straight A's. These postbacs aren't interested in helping you become successful. They need you to arrive successful. If you get another impression, check the fine print.

The bio you took in a nursing degree may or may not be the premed bio. The difference is in which subjects are on the MCAT. Yes it matters.

Your long term schedule needs to have an MCAT date before summer. Med school apps open in early June. See the reapplicant forum for a taste of the hand-wringing that happens between applying to med school and then later finding out whether your MCAT score is good enough to apply.

You mentioned your boyfriend twice. If he's that important, then accept your prioritization, and take classes where you land instead of looking at a formal program. And for goodness sake get a ring or at least meet the family before you prioritize any guy that much.

It wasn't that hard to figure out which postbac you're talking about. Get the program to put you in touch with a recent alumni who got linkage from no more than a 3.2 before you put any stock into getting linkage.

tl;dr: come up with 4-5 more ways you can get where you want to be. Train for a marathon.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
A few bits to think about.

Generally from a 3.16 you can't take premed advice from premeds or med students or residents or docs or the vast majority of premed advisers. If a med student or resident discloses that they were in that kind of shape before med school, fine, but generally they have absolutely no idea how to advise you. You cannot use the normal premed yardstick. At all.

It's not mathematically possible to get the GPAs you're hoping for from a 3.16. 3 years of full time 4.0 work would max you at about 3.5.

Generally from a 3.16 it's not a good idea to bet on suddenly getting straight A's as if by magic. Turning yourself into a 4.0 student may require you to endure some major sacrifices and painful character development. I speak from personal, excruciating experience. Point being, don't dive into the prereqs before getting an A in one reasonably hard math or science class.

Unfortunately good formal postbacs that offer linkages aren't interested in students who have yet to prove they can get straight A's. These postbacs aren't interested in helping you become successful. They need you to arrive successful. If you get another impression, check the fine print.

The bio you took in a nursing degree may or may not be the premed bio. The difference is in which subjects are on the MCAT. Yes it matters.

Your long term schedule needs to have an MCAT date before summer. Med school apps open in early June. See the reapplicant forum for a taste of the hand-wringing that happens between applying to med school and then later finding out whether your MCAT score is good enough to apply.

You mentioned your boyfriend twice. If he's that important, then accept your prioritization, and take classes where you land instead of looking at a formal program. And for goodness sake get a ring or at least meet the family before you prioritize any guy that much.

It wasn't that hard to figure out which postbac you're talking about. Get the program to put you in touch with a recent alumni who got linkage from no more than a 3.2 before you put any stock into getting linkage.

tl;dr: come up with 4-5 more ways you can get where you want to be. Train for a marathon.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the honesty and advice. I really do appreciate it.

A few things:
I am waiting to hear about my acceptance to this PBPM program. They didn't seem too concerned with my subpar GPA as far as acceptance goes. But, I agree with you that the linkage deal may be out of reach for me with my GPA. This GPA will be the uphill battle for me throughout this whole process. I'm really trying not to let it get me extremely discouraged.

My undergrad bio courses are A&P 1&2 and Micro, taken at a CC.

I do think that I can be successful in post-bac whether I take classes in this formal program or a DIY. My undergrad GPA is a result of me skating 'easily' through nursing school, barely studying, with my priorities placed elsewhere than good grades.

And about the boyfriend.. I have met the family and do live with him. Lol. I didn't want to come off like I'm placing too much importance inappropriately. Also, this post -bacc will [hopefully] be done when he is going somewhere for fellowship. I plan to apply in June 2017. I plan to take the MCAT by end of April 2017.