MD RN; cGPA 3.90 sGPA 3.89; MCAT 508; Family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZhiker93

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are as listed above.

I have 2 years of experience as an RN, but a total of 5.5 years of healthcare experience total.

I have about 150 hours of volunteer experience.

Shadowed internal medicine for 12 hours; cardiology for 12 hours.

I am married and have two children. First generation college applicant (not sure if I will declare this though).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that you will get interviews. However you will probably be asked why you are pursuing becoming a physician all of a sudden. In addition, they will probably ask you how you would manage med school with your family since it will be difficult to find that school/family balance again. I would downplay the fact that you have only 24 hours of shadowing and bring out that you have been in the healthcare field for an extended period of time. You have been able to do many things college applicants with no previous medical training have done.

Stats wise your gpa is great and MCAT should be fine. Just write good essays explaining your unique story and I think you'll be successful

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the insight! If needed, I could add some hours on to the shadowing. Would you say it's necessary?

I'm sure that you will get interviews. However you will probably be asked why you are pursuing becoming a physician all of a sudden. In addition, they will probably ask you how you would manage med school with your family since it will be difficult to find that school/family balance again. I would downplay the fact that you have only 24 hours of shadowing and bring out that you have been in the healthcare field for an extended period of time. You have been able to do many things college applicants with no previous medical training have done.

Stats wise your gpa is great and MCAT should be fine. Just write good essays explaining your unique story and I think you'll be successful

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight! If needed, I could add some hours on to the shadowing. Would you say it's necessary?

You've worked in the healthcare system for a while and I'm sure from your interactions you know the roles of a physician. The elephant in the room is what was appealing about the role of a physician that made you want to switch. 24 hours of shadowing doesn't say that, but 5.5 years probably does. If you don't feel you can come up with a confident story then do some more shadowing where you directly see what a physician does beyond nursing.

These are schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton (they have a Arizona track for the 3rd and 4th years)
Mayo-Arizona
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, NOVA MD, Seton Hall)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July

Reactions: 1 user
Just want to say good luck! I personally knew an applicant just like you who is now at a USMD and know how hard you had to have worked to get to this point. Oh and Faha gave you a great list

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the list!

Thanks to everyone who has commented! I’m feeling super encouraged.