RN to MD question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, as me and a group from my pre-medical chapter of AMSA were returning to our school from MSU-CHM, I was talking with one of the freshmen who is a nursing major. I thought about telling her this is probably not a good idea to major in nursing in college and then apply to medical school since there is currently a nursing shortage in the U.S., and that being an RN is going to raise some serious red flags to admissions committees (taking up a spot and using for only one year after she graduates). I decided not to tell her this because I'm really not sure if this is really true. She is also taking "Chemistry for Health Professionals" instead of the pre-med version "General Chemistry I." I told her that while I wasn't sure, she might have to take "Gen. Chem I and II" instead of the health professionals courses. So I guess my questions would be, should I tell her to get out of the nursing major and to take the usual pre-med version of general chem?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just tell her to go talk to her advisor and would stay out of it unless she explicitly asks you for advice (but it sounds like you initiated the discussion).

I'd just tell her to go talk to her advisor and would stay out of it unless she explicitly asks you for advice (but it sounds like you initiated the discussion).

Actually she started telling me how she was a nursing major and how she was going to work for a year in nursing after graduating etc. But I never said anything that being a nursing major is bad for medical school, I was just thinking it. Also, I should have said this in the previous post, the pre-med advisor here said she was taking a "weird path" and that she couldn't advise her properly....some advisor huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell her to come to SDN. She'll drop out real quick.:smuggrin: :laugh:

I hear two very different sides to this story. I hear the same thing that medical schools don't like nursing majors because of the nursing shortage. However, nursing is a great prep for med school and I know a lot of nurses that have gotten accepted.

We just need more nursing programs!

A lot of people do many different things before they apply to med school. I know of many people who go to pham school and then apply to med school. You never know, it might help her out.

This sounds very similar to my story. I am a Nursing major and I just got accepted to medical school. I think having the clinical experiences in the nursing program and the job opportunities that opened up to me during undergrad really helped boost my profile.
I started in Mechanical Engineering though so I didn't take the health professionals Gen Chem. My pre-med advisor also discouraged me from changing my major to nursing, but I think it is a great stepping-stone for medical school, (later on my pre-med advisor changed her mind after I acquired health-related jobs and clinical experiences). I think advisors tend to discourage Nursing because it is an atypical undergraduate degree for someone who is pre-med. My advisor tried to convince me to change my major to sociology, psychology, or biology (all of which are more common for a pre-medical student).
As far as adcoms not wanting a nursing student because of the nursing shortage, she just needs to display committment to becoming a doctor. When they realize she is determined to become a physician, they may realize what a great addition she could be by having a RN background (understanding the patient from another perspective: Holistic Care). I know that as I've gone through the process, interviewers and my peers seem to be very impressed with the experience that I have already acquired.

Suggestion: encourage her to think about plan B. I also decided to switch my major to nursing because I realized I wanted a career in the health field. Had medical school not worked out for whatever reason, I would have been able to work in the health field as a RN or aspired to become a Nurse Anesthetist or Nurse Practitioner.

However, nursing is a great prep for med school
Take a look at your MSAR for the latest stats, but other health professions majors have pretty low acceptance rates compared to the averages. If anything, DON'T be a nursing major unless you want to be a nurse. Their chem and physics classes are usually not adequate for med school prereqs.

Take a look at your MSAR for the latest stats, but other health professions majors have pretty low acceptance rates compared to the averages. If anything, DON'T be a nursing major unless you want to be a nurse. Their chem and physics classes are usually not adequate for med school prereqs.

Well I do agree that you shouldn't be a nursing major if you have zero intention of being a nurse. I also agree that health professions majors and science majors do have the lowest acceptance into medical school. I, however, do not think that it is just because of their choice of major.

I think it has a lot more to do with that way way way more people are science/health majors. I also think that science/health majors don't believe they have to prepare as much for the MCAT because they have an extensive science background. Not to say that they don't prepare because they obviously do, but I think someone who was a History major already knows they have a lot of scientific ground to make up.

My belief - major in what you love, what you are good at, and what you enjoy, not matter what it is.

Yesterday, as me and a group from my pre-medical chapter of AMSA were returning to our school from MSU-CHM, I was talking with one of the freshmen who is a nursing major. I thought about telling her this is probably not a good idea to major in nursing in college and then apply to medical school since there is currently a nursing shortage in the U.S., and that being an RN is going to raise some serious red flags to admissions committees (taking up a spot and using for only one year after she graduates). I decided not to tell her this because I'm really not sure if this is really true. She is also taking "Chemistry for Health Professionals" instead of the pre-med version "General Chemistry I." I told her that while I wasn't sure, she might have to take "Gen. Chem I and II" instead of the health professionals courses. So I guess my questions would be, should I tell her to get out of the nursing major and to take the usual pre-med version of general chem?

Thanks in advance!
I happen to be an RN and hopefully will be a medical student soon. please by anymeans choose whatever major brings you maximum satisfaction. yes there is a need for nurse's in the US and so is there for MD's( at least for Texas were i currently live). The fact remains that there is "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG" in advancing your knowledge by trying to obtain a medical degree after becoming a Registered Nurse. now a Bachelor's of science may be a tad problem to some of the medical schools that lean more towards scientific research. Schools that do well with primary care love nurses. I have worked in the hospital long enough to see some of the most smart physician's beside matters...needless to say, it was terrible. To me, being a nurse has truely opened my eyes to connect with my patients on another level, i have even become more calm when dealing with emergencies (oh yes! working in an ICU will do just dat) and the healing process is not only about taking pills or cutting open just to name a few. Patients and family memebers turn to file wayyyyyyy lesser law suits against physicians dat commit a malpractice just because of their bedside matters to the patients. anyways, what ever you do, be the best at it. if you are leaving from an RN-MD just have a good reason which am sure after being a nurse for a while, it will not take long to figure out great resons if medicine is your interest.
Remember, you do not have to be the same like everybody else. adcoms love to hear some interesting out of the blue life stories which i have plenty. lol

good luck to everyone going thru this journey
Good bless:love:

I think that the nurses among us don't really understand the situation the OP is presenting. Yes, medical schools look favorably upon nurses who are applying to med school. Obviously the clinical experience of being a nurse is beneficial. But, and this is a big but, the OP is talking about a nursing STUDENT applying. There's no reason to major in nursing if you don't plan on becoming a nurse.

Being a nurse is great prep for medicine, but being a nursing student is not.

I think that the nurses among us don't really understand the situation the OP is presenting. Yes, medical schools look favorably upon nurses who are applying to med school. Obviously the clinical experience of being a nurse is beneficial. But, and this is a big but, the OP is talking about a nursing STUDENT applying. There's no reason to major in nursing if you don't plan on becoming a nurse.

Being a nurse is great prep for medicine, but being a nursing student is not.

To an extend being a "nursing student" is not so great, but have'nt we have MD's that leave and do not practice medicine at all? i just their benefit is they do not have an adcom to worry abt anymore. if i get critical, it will also be like he/she just took my spot in medical school and am here on my knees..lol. Any Mr. OP, tell the student to explore her dreams....you may advice him/her to work say for one year after school so she can have a better feel for why medicine is the right path and also will open better topics of discussion during the interview about his/her experiences. my 2 cents again
God Bless

To an extend being a "nursing student" is not so great, but have'nt we have MD's that leave and do not practice medicine at all? i just their benefit is they do not have an adcom to worry abt anymore. if i get critical, it will also be like he/she just took my spot in medical school and am here on my knees..lol. Any Mr. OP, tell the student to explore her dreams....you may advice him/her to work say for one year after school so she can have a better feel for why medicine is the right path and also will open better topics of discussion during the interview about his/her experiences. my 2 cents again
God Bless

I would have to agree with this comment. I am a pathology resident and was an ICU nurse in my "previous life". Having served on my med school admissions committee, I can assure you that clinical experience is very important and the MORE the BETTER. This applies to ALL med school applicants. Experienced nurses, as a rule, do very well in med school. I know several surgeons, an intensivist, a pediatrician, and a radiologist who started out as nurses and they have done very well in their careers.
But you need to get in the thick of things to see if this is what you really want. And remember that the time demands are vastly different for med students and residents. I certainly don't want to discourage you from applying but thought you could use some additional info from a former nurse who has been through this process.
Good luck!
Katrina

I know that the "other health professions" have low acceptance rates according to the MSAR but I don't think its because adcoms don't like nursing majors...how many ppl from "other health professions" apply to med school?? and I think this category includes more than just nursing majors...

i do believe that every nursing graduate who applies to med school should take a year or two to work as a nurse before even applying to med school...because otherwise you may appear to be flaky..and this way you get to 1. make more money and save...and 2. gain clinical experience...

but if u r a nursing major who waits a couple of years...and then applies to med school...you won't be looked upon badly by interviewers and adcoms...they all seem to really value to clinical experience...and its soo much more than the average applicant...I think the only ppl who have us beat are PA's who apply to med school

I don't know why ppl continue to really feel this way on SDN??:sleep::sleep:

oh have your friend go to her science department and ask them if the nursing science classes count as pre-med??? in my school they didn't...but others schools mix the nursing majors in with the pre med and bio students...

"a group and I"