This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiwi12233

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
I just finished my bachelor of science in nursing. My plan was always to go to medical school after, but I wasn’t able to fit prereqs within my bachelors so I’m going to working full time as an RN and taking pre med courses part time. I am just worried about my cGPA in nursing. I am Canadian and I think I correctly calculated it and it’s Year 1: 2.68, year 2: 3.67, year 3: 3.81, year 4: 3.85, which is a cGPA of 3.28.

Would that be acceptable considering my upward trend and if I aimed for 3.8+ for my sGPA? I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, I plan on taking it after I complete my premed courses.

I had a lot of personal stuff going on the first year and I didn’t know how to study.

My ECs are good - shadowing, several volunteering in community long term, 2 publications, RN job, tutoring, some hobbies etc.

I’m no expert but sounds pretty good to me. Also you have a significant upwards trend which I heard is looked upon favorably

Reactions: 1 user
I'm assuming you want to apply in Canada and the US? Some canadian medical schools schools only take the best 2- 3 years for your gpa so I would look into those. If you really want to get into a Canadian MD, you can do a second degree. For US, your best bet would be DO schools that are internationally friendly (many threads about this).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your response. A lot of Canadians schools want full course load in order to look at only last 2-3 years and with my nursing clinical and taking some courses in the summer that wasn’t possible, so I am going to focus on US school, and like you said probably mostly DO schools.

Do you know if US schools also have the full course load requirement and assessing courses and grades?
I have no clue, you should search through the DO forum and if you can't find the answer you can just make a thread about it in the DO forum.

Hello,
I just finished my bachelor of science in nursing. My plan was always to go to medical school after, but I wasn’t able to fit prereqs within my bachelors so I’m going to working full time as an RN and taking pre med courses part time. I am just worried about my cGPA in nursing. I am Canadian and I think I correctly calculated it and it’s Year 1: 2.68, year 2: 3.67, year 3: 3.81, year 4: 3.85, which is a cGPA of 3.28.

Would that be acceptable considering my upward trend and if I aimed for 3.8+ for my sGPA? I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, I plan on taking it after I complete my premed courses.

I had a lot of personal stuff going on the first year and I didn’t know how to study.

My ECs are good - shadowing, several volunteering in community long term, 2 publications, RN job, tutoring, some hobbies etc.
Trust me, do well on mcat and you’ll be just fine.